• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec GLM software and the 7350A Subwoofer

Tangband

Major Contributor
Even if GLM fixes integration in a good way between sub and main loudspeakers, only one subwoofer, no matter how good, will have both positive and negative influence on the sound. You always need two subwoofers in a stereo setup if it will be considered an all positive upgrade.

One other thing about subwoofers, - the soundquality from the two subs must be better than the bass from the main loudspeaker, othervise the sound will be worse with subs than without subs.
This sounds and also is very logical, but you often see people using bad subwoofers with good quality main loudspeakers.

One must also place the main speakers correctly in the room, in the way that the bass will be considered good even without subwoofers. Wrongly placed main loudspeakers can never play bass in a good way, * even if its combined with the worlds best subwoofers.

*The perceived sound from a bass guitar has a frequency response of about 40-8000 kHz. The whole spectra must be correct in time and amplitude. The perceived sound from a bass guitar is very dependent of the sound quality from the main loudspeakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: lvy

lappy

I'm using 2x 8351A + 2x 7350 at 73dB usually at 1m distance in a concrete room.

GLM won't fix deep nulls (unless with W371A) but it can bring down the excessive frequencies & gives a cleaner bass especially with GLM 4.1.x onwards.
With 2 subs you can have better frequencies (if the sub able to cover each other nulls in your room) & wider low frequency envelopment with the right content.

this is my 7350 fr
View attachment 194114

add in 7360 which I borrowed from my dealer to test with GLM 3.x for your reference. I picked 7350 because it is good enough for my needs.
View attachment 194117

I would recommend if possible you borrow a GLM kit from ur dealer to play around 1st.
You would need to set the Left sub to channel A & Right sub to channel B to stereo sub with digital AES input.
View attachment 194115

GLM will auto calibrate & auto phase.
You can do manual adjustment later which I think you can study from the GLM manual.
View attachment 194116

Eng
I don't get it. I got my second 7350 today and I expected to see the UI shown above where mono or stereo can be selected. Does not look like that at all. Where is that screenshot coming from??

lappy

I don't get it. I got my second 7350 today and I expected to see the UI shown above where mono or stereo can be selected. Does not look like that at all. Where is that screenshot coming from??
Found it, not obvious at all. I'm growing sick of the GLM UX, not that great at all...almost bordering on amateur hour.

lappy

If you click on a subwoofer during the setup process, the UI appears. Crazy.
Also, must use digital input.
I see theres also a "LFE Channel" checkbox, do you know if that should be checked when using 2 subs in stereo?
LFE is a special channel in multichannel sound containing LF info. Not applicable when running two channel audio.

ethanchiu10

Also, must use digital input.

LFE is a special channel in multichannel sound containing LF info. Not applicable when running two channel audio.

So even though I'm using my stereo to watch movies, I should keep that off?

And my plan is to get 3x 8341A + 2x 8331A + 2x 7350A, in that case, how should it be setup in GLM?

lvy

I'm late to reply... Glad you found it...
Write it down here for others to refer.

GLM 4 Stereo Subs Configuration
Group Preset > Add or Edit
Click on the left and right sub - A is left and B is right

Attachments

• stereo sub.png
    stereo sub.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

lappy

I'm late to reply... Glad you found it...
Write it down here for others to refer.

GLM 4 Stereo Subs Configuration
Group Preset > Add
Click on the left and right sub - A is left and B is right
Note that this is only available during the setup "wizard", can't remember which step. After the group has been created it is nowhere to be found. So I assume a lot of people have no idea that they can choose between running the subs in stereo or mono if they don't click on the sub during the setup by luck (they will get mono by default).

Last edited:

mkt

james57

Not sure if I should post this here, I am toying with the idea of getting a pair 8361 plus my existing (non negotiable :) rythmik e15 + oppo 105)

I would consider the GLM for the overall integration of the 8361 with a HPF of something like 50 Hz which would provide a bit of headroom for the 8361 and let my e15 cover 16-50Hz. I would use a manual adjustment of my e15 with REW for phase, level, LPF and the one PEQ it provides. They would both get the same full range analogue output from my oppo 105 which would provide vol ctrl

Does this make sense, is it too difficult to manually do it ? do you set the GLM to stereo or 2.1 and don't connect a sub ? am I missing a lot of correction from GLM by running a manual correction from REW. I am in the measure twice and cut once kind of mode before I commit.

Thanks

Tangband

Major Contributor
Not sure if I should post this here, I am toying with the idea of getting a pair 8361 plus my existing (non negotiable :) rythmik e15 + oppo 105)

I would consider the GLM for the overall integration of the 8361 with a HPF of something like 50 Hz which would provide a bit of headroom for the 8361 and let my e15 cover 16-50Hz. I would use a manual adjustment of my e15 with REW for phase, level, LPF and the one PEQ it provides. They would both get the same full range analogue output from my oppo 105 which would provide vol ctrl

Does this make sense, is it too difficult to manually do it ? do you set the GLM to stereo or 2.1 and don't connect a sub ? am I missing a lot of correction from GLM by running a manual correction from REW. I am in the measure twice and cut once kind of mode before I commit.

Thanks
You really should go all digital , because :

1: with a SAM subwoofer , you can set the crossover at 50 Hz and both LP and HP will be correct to 8361.

2. You have digital inputs on both 8361 and SAM subwoofers - an A/D converter less in the dsp crossover and no analog cables worsening the sound.

3. You have a delay because its a dsp crossover in 8361. If you combine with analog active subwoofers the sound will come a couple of ms to late from your 8361.
Not so with SAM subwoofers.

4. Is the oppo 105 analog volume control a good one ? Im not sure .

Two 8361 needs two 7360, minimum.
A 7350 is to small to make a difference.

Two 7360 will sound better than one analog rytmik subwoofer . Its a big difference .

lvy

Thanks
Like @Tangband said, with SAM subwoofer integration would be much easier & less conversion & delay in between.

However you still can start with E15 + 8361 and gradually goes to SAM subwoofer later.

do you set the GLM to stereo or 2.1 and don't connect a sub?
--GLM doesn't have this, if with E15, I think u can only use the 8361 in analog with a dac / receiver doing the crossover.

am I missing a lot of correction from GLM by running a manual correction from REW.
--you missed the less conversion route & the easiness of GLM

james57

You really should go all digital , because :

1: with a SAM subwoofer , you can set the crossover at 50 Hz and both LP and HP will be correct to 8361.

2. You have digital inputs on both 8361 and SAM subwoofers - an A/D converter less in the dsp crossover and no analog cables worsening the sound.

3. You have a delay because its a dsp crossover in 8361. If you combine with analog active subwoofers the sound will come a couple of ms to late from your 8361.
Not so with SAM subwoofers.

4. Is the oppo 105 analog volume control a good one ? Im not sure .

Two 8361 needs two 7360, minimum.
A 7350 is to small to make a difference.

Two 7360 will sound better than one analog rytmik subwoofer . Its a big difference .
Hi Tangband, thanks for the comments
As mentionned I am not prepared to get rid of my existing e15 so sam subs are not an option and since it lives in the A world I can either stay there of find an oppo alternate that would do A and D and vol ctrl, I am not sure there are many affordable options but would consider.
The oppo analogue ctrl appears to be ok, I don't have numbers but it seems to do the job now. I am planning a 2.1 system nothing more as I have the e15.

james57

Like @Tangband said, with SAM subwoofer integration would be much easier & less conversion & delay in between.

However you still can start with E15 + 8361 and gradually goes to SAM subwoofer later.

do you set the GLM to stereo or 2.1 and don't connect a sub?
--GLM doesn't have this, if with E15, I think u can only use the 8361 in analog with a dac / receiver doing the crossover.

am I missing a lot of correction from GLM by running a manual correction from REW.
--you missed the less conversion route & the easiness of GLM
--you missed the less conversion route & the easiness of GLM.. but I am still considering GLM for 50hz and up with the 8361, only 16-50 would be done manualy ?

lvy

--you missed the less conversion route & the easiness of GLM.. but I am still considering GLM for 50hz and up with the 8361, only 16-50 would be done manualy ?
you can't do that as GLM needs to detect the sub & speakers 1st to do the crossover for bass management. (unless you borrow someone's sub to create a group with the 50Hz crossover, err won't work because the crossover still need the SAM subwoofer)
1661433253549.png

For what I know, you can only use
1. 8361 + GLM (full range)
2. receiver crossover > analog > 8361 + E15

Last edited:
Top Bottom