• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec GLM Review (Room EQ & Setup)

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does GLM let you adjust the latency (i.e., optionally add a couple extra milliseconds of delay)?

testp

Well... form what i've been reading/watching lately about double sub-woofers tackling that low-end dips in mono/inverted mode does seem to make sense and could provide even better results than a pair of speakers could, if done right...

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't own this kit. It is going back to its owner. That aside, it would not be fair to test it with Room EQ and not other speakers.
Since Room EQ is becoming more and more prevalent in active speakers from more and more brands, at some point, speaker reviews may require that Room EQ is active if it is an essential part of the speaker design?

testp

Since Room EQ is becoming more and more prevalent in active speakers from more and more brands, at some point, speaker reviews may require that Room EQ is active if it is an essential part of the speaker design?

heh, just yesterday i watched pass the remote stream
looking forward to the shoot-out :)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks very nice but you do that with Audyssey XT32 with the App just as good up to about 120-160 Hz quite easily, and likely up to 600 Hz as you did too, time permitting.
The key benefit to GLM for me is that you can upload these filters into the speaker like firmware, and then unplug GLM and now the SAM speakers will perform in accordance with those filters for all sources.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Genelec subwoofers are really good .
I would say at least as good as their monitors .:)

We have compared with very expensive REL:s and also SVS and the Genelecs in the same pricerange has, the way I listen , a better sound . A tighter, deeper bass with less distortion.
I was very skeptical in the beginning that Genelecs subwoofers could play at the same quality level as SVS , but then I have heard the 7050c and 7360 SAM and they are both better to play music than SVS PB2000 and REL S5.

The 7360 SAM can play VERY loud ( louder than SVS PB2000. ) and the 7050c can, despite the small 8 inch driver, play as loud and clean as bigger subs from other brands at the same pricerange.

Ilkka Rissanen is a genius at constructing subwoofers , - he was earlier the subwoofer constructor of hometheatreshack.
Yep, I have the 7370a sub connected to my 8350a (reviewed by Amir) integrated via GLM and this is endgame stereo listening as far as I'm concerned.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A BIG Mastering studio after upgrading all their subwoofers from Rythmik Audio to ATCs back in 2019, just purchased a pair of F15HPs again because they like our subwoofers better. The big advantage of Rythmik Audio subwoofers for mastering and mixing is that they operate in the analog domain so there is ZERO added latency, not to mention Direct Servo makes the sound more accurate and clean. You can find our subwoofers in recording and mastering studios around the world. My personal mastering subwoofer is a E22.
Because mastering studios buy something like this: Trinnov ST2 Pro 4-channel DAC/Preamp with Room EQ using their 3D microphone! 2 monitors plus 2 Rythmik subs connected to this? ooooooh yeaaaaah

trinnov_st2_pro_back.1500x731.jpg

Trell

Major Contributor
Honestly i find it surprising that they don't offer a 'Any REL color number you want' option.

I asked Thomann.de if I could order the 8350A in either black or white, and they said yes as a special order.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While they don't get the slight boost at some frequencies that genelec has in GLM 4.1, I'm really glad Genelec still supports ALL of their DSP monitors with the newest versions of their software... My 8260's appreciate it.

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Depends where you live what the price is or even if the product is available locally.

I got the Genelec 7360 subwoofer for my 2.1 desktop system and had to buy the GLM Kit as well, though that kit I also used to calibrate my wife's 2.0 desktop system. Can't say the same for the MiniDSP.
  • Genelec 7360 (10" ported) + GLM Kit: 20 290 SEK + 3 599 SEK = 23 889 SEK
  • SVS PB-1000 Pro (10" ported) + MiniDSP SHD + UMIK-1: 7 490 SEK + 13 998 SEK + 1 288 SEK = 22 766 SEK
Not exactly clear cut from a price point of view, and with the 7360A I do have an integrated solution.
The 7360 costs $2565 here in the US. You paid $2363. So the prices are comparable, particularly given the distances involved.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For example, rather than a single Genelec 7370 (12” ported), you will be far better off buying (for the same combined price) a Rythmik FV25HP (dual 15” ported) and a MiniDSP SHD for DSP, which includes Dirac. The results will be vastly superior in every way.

Maybe it's because I'm missing DIRAC, but using REW with a MiniDSP I spent a few hours each day for a few to several days trying to integrate a pair of PSA 15" subs, and ended up having to send them back because they never sounded the same as the speakers and I preferred them off.

Then I tried a DEBRA/Swarm distributed bass array which is 4, 10" subwoofers... Those sounded best when I had two of them nearfield, and ended up getting sent back too.

Now I have a 7271 and it took maybe 25 minutes to redo all the wiring and such for the system and get it calibrated... Sounds better than either of the other options which I never got to sound this good. Bass goes "too loud" with any of them, though the Swarm would sometimes clip for movies when stuff under 20hz played.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends where you live what the price is or even if the product is available locally.

I got the Genelec 7360 subwoofer for my 2.1 desktop system and had to buy the GLM Kit as well, though that kit I also used to calibrate my wife's 2.0 desktop system. Can't say the same for the MiniDSP.
  • Genelec 7360 (10" ported) + GLM Kit: 20 290 SEK + 3 599 SEK = 23 889 SEK
  • SVS PB-1000 Pro (10" ported) + MiniDSP SHD + UMIK-1: 7 490 SEK + 13 998 SEK + 1 288 SEK = 22 766 SEK
Not exactly clear cut from a price point of view, and with the 7360A I do have an integrated solution.
You don’t need a MiniDSP SHD then, as it’s rather overkill for just subwoofers anyway. You can use a basic $100 MiniDSP 2x4 and insert it in your signal chain just before your subwoofer(s). This plus 4x Rythmik F12’s is bound to be far better than a Genelec 7370, for example. It’s just a lot more for the same money.

Granted, it’s a huge pain to use the MiniDSP 2x4 (even more so than the SHD, which itself is not easy and the connection is often unreliable and the software buggy). So I totally get the value of Genelec subs for ease of use. As you can tell, I like them as I currently use them.

But eventually when I set up a home theater again, it would be hard to justify Genelec versus other brands that are 2-4x less expensive for the same performance. Especially when achieving “reference level” bass performance from Genelec would cost around $12,000, it’s not like the cost savings from other brands here are marginal. With that kind of budget, you could do some really crazy things with other brands, like literally line the entire perimeter of the room with a dozen Rythmik F12’s, which I imagine would yield some incredible smooth and consistent in-room performance.

Last edited:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it's because I'm missing DIRAC, but using REW with a MiniDSP I spent a few hours each day for a few to several days trying to integrate a pair of PSA 15" subs, and ended up having to send them back because they never sounded the same as the speakers and I preferred them off.

Then I tried a DEBRA/Swarm distributed bass array which is 4, 10" subwoofers... Those sounded best when I had two of them nearfield, and ended up getting sent back too.

Now I have a 7271 and it took maybe 25 minutes to redo all the wiring and such for the system and get it calibrated... Sounds better than either of the other options which I never got to sound this good. Bass goes "too loud" with any of them, though the Swarm would sometimes clip for movies when stuff under 20hz played.
I agree for sure that GLM makes it far easier than most systems to set up. And that alone does make it very valuable, as long as you’re willing to be locked into the Genelec ecosystem for your entire system. Which isn’t a bad thing :).

I think the biggest reason there is it aligns the phase and delays automatically, which is quite difficult and time-consuming to do manually. In fact, even the miniDSP SHD’s “Dirac” does NOT do this for you. I’m not sure why, but the miniDSP SHD’s Dirac software only applies two channels of frequency response correction only; it does not do anything to automatically configure delays and phase.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't own this kit. It is going back to its owner. That aside, it would not be fair to test it with Room EQ and not other speakers.

Unless they are now using GLM to apply speaker EQ as well as room EQ. If that's the case, you'd actually have to use it(but disable the Room EQ) to get a fair picture. I'm not sure this is the case, though. Some of us were wondering if it might be the reason why the 8330 measures worse than the 8030. That is, the 8330 has a crossover design flaw that it expects GLM to come and fix before use. What made this seem plausible as one user showed a GLM filter that seemed to pretty well counter the 2-4kHz peaking problem of the 8330, which is well above room EQ territory.

I'm not sure if this is the case, though. I would prefer if Genelec did the speaker EQ internally and outside of GLM, as it allows us to use other Room EQ options.

Top Bottom