• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec GLM Review (Room EQ & Setup)

Ata

Forum Donor
Again, no, 25 dB of attenuation was not applied to achieve this. There is indeed 25 dB of peak to peak variation in the response and typical of about every room measurement I receive and I have received hundreds from around the world. But again, this is not how digital room correction works using FIR filters. As @tktran303 has suggested, let me take this on in another thread or better yet, a video I have been planning for this precise topic. of how state of the art FIR filtering actually works. So I will bow out of this thread as it is a review of a product and get back to you with a walkthrough so folks can see how it is achieved. Cheers.

Thank you, Mitch, I will be subscribed to the other thread!

Music1969

Major Contributor
I’ve done that. I preferred Dirac, but not by a lot.

Nice but i was more asking about before and after REW measurements like amir did here.

It doesn't look like GLM does anything of significance?

Keen to see same measurement with Dirac Live 3 desktop version, for amir's room

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd like a comparison of GLM and Neumann's MA-1
I have the speaker for it. One of you needs to buy the kit and send it to me. :)

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have the speaker for it. One of you needs to buy the kit and send it to me. :)

If any member in the USA has the MA 1 kit and would be willing to send it to Amir, I'd happily cover shipping.

anphex

Forum Donor
Universal question: So even when using APO, should I do another check up measurement post filters to see the actual curve and iterate another correction?

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Genelec provides dual shelving filter overrides to boost the lows and reduces the highs. This is limited 3 dB max correction however.
I believe GLM 4.1 allows up to 3+dB correction on all their monitors and some (more powerful?/expensive) can have up to +6dB. I don't believe there is a limit on the max negative dB adjustments, but they offer -3dB and -6dB as defaults for the shelving filters (i.e., in a pull down menu, custom values are allowed).

Interestingly enough I thought the post EQ would have had bigger affect. Glad to see it is helping though!

I too cried when I found out GLM doesn't offer a post EQ (i.e., measurement only or verification) sweep.

I love mine though. Maybe I'll play with REW and tweak mine some more.

Last edited:

GWolfman

Forum Donor
While I have accepted the fact that consumer EQ products don't want to provide transparency on what they have done, I wish a Pro product like GLM would make a post EQ measurement and show that rather than simulated, feel good but made up response. It would take just a few seconds. Heck, that measurement could be used iteratively to optimize the filters more.
Well stated; give this man an award!

tw99

FWIW the much maligned Dspeaker Antimode does provide before and after measurements, and it was a very useful feature. I agree it’s a pity it’s missing here.

soundwave76

Forum Donor
In hindsight, should have you used GLM in Genelec reviews @amirm? My opinion is that GLM correction should be included, since it's an integral part of the Genelec SAM speakers. Maybe at least a GLM on/off comparison on your listening section?

Vict0r

Would it be possible to use the GLM software, interface and mic to make an initial measurement, and then copy its corrections over to another EQ? That way you could share the GLM between friends using Genelecs.

Vict0r

You can save them but they are room dependent so not good for anyone else.

Sorry, I meant sharing the hardware itself. You'd copy the results from the GLM software to something like EqualizerAPO/Peace and then never need the hardware again. A bit like a monitor display calibration tool/colorimeter. Or doesn't that work?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry, I meant sharing the hardware itself. You'd copy the results from the GLM software to something like EqualizerAPO/Peace and then never need the hardware again. A bit like a monitor display calibration tool/colorimeter. Or doesn't that work?
You can do that but if you ever move the speakers, you need it again.

soundwave76

Forum Donor
great automation as expected from Genelec, but seems it somehow still focus on the single listening position which is what the pros do.

No no, GLM gives you options to have several listening positions and one can change them easily on the fly. For example one for the mixer and one for the listeners on the back of the studio and so on. I have played with this in my rooms as well.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a general rule, superbly built speakers are of no need of correction in higher frequencies other than overlaying a target curve which should to be taste.

I very much agree with this, unless you're doing some placement shenanigans, above 200Hz, anechiocly flat speakers are flat in-room.

For me when Dirac took 11 measurements the average pre-correction response was really flat, I still kept the correction range to ~4KHz or so just to get the response phase corrected (sounds better to me than limiting to 200Hz) .

index.php

Top Bottom