• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec GLM Review (Room EQ & Setup)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PS Topping D10S is a cheap way to get USB to S/PDIF - works great with Genelecs for a stereo setup.
Ahh, I get it. It's making more sense now. Thanks!

KaLam1ty

In case anyone is interested, Genelec is doing another press presentation and Q&A for the upcoming 4.2 update and 9301B interface.
Not too much said about the actual updates yet, but I'd guess it's more focused on multi-channel and immersive stuff.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In case anyone is interested, Genelec is doing another press presentation and Q&A for the upcoming 4.2 update and 9301B interface.
Not too much said about the actual updates yet, but I'd guess it's more focused on multi-channel and immersive stuff.

I came here for this. I hope that multisub optimization is finally here. Is that what the “grade” room acoustic report is?

mkt

oversky

From Genelec_GRADE_Report_2022-04-29_stereo_with_subwoofer.pdf
AccuSmooth
AccuSmooth is a smoothing-in-frequency method ap- plied by Genelec to provide maximum detail to acoustic mea- surements. This is a variable-width smoothing. The frequency range of the smoothing is 1/12th per octave below 250 Hz, and 1/6th per octave above 250 Hz. The AccuSmoothing applied to frequency response plots increases the visibility of the acousti- cally relevant details in the system frequency responses.

Last edited:

mkt

Any info on the 9301B?

KaLam1ty

Genelec has been putting quite a bit of effort in marketing as of late, but also sharing some more informative content regarding with GLM.
Thought this would be relevant and useful for for those following the thread:

Nothing novel of the sort and it's Aki presenting, more-or-less, the general concepts of how room calibration is done. It's always nice to see more recent "documentation" on these things.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I can report a big improvement in sound quality with GLM4 4.2.0

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I can report a big improvement in sound quality with GLM4 4.2.0

In what way?

MrSoul4470

Same for me. I've had GLM updates before and could never hear a difference. With GLM 4.2.0 it obviously suddenly sounded different/better. I have no idea why though when I look at the graphs.

niloiv

Has anyone used the glm microphone as a normal microphone for pc's? I need an input device for my pc and just saw the microphone collecting dust in the corner

Trell

Major Contributor
Has anyone used the glm microphone as a normal microphone for pc's? I need an input device for my pc and just saw the microphone collecting dust in the corner
You could try the mic since you have it already. ;)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t see the point unless you can somehow get the calibration files for the mic. Each one has a serial number and probably like the UMIK mics have a factory calibration file.

I wonder how they work that. You can calibrate offline. So probably the GLM install itself has a database of mics and calibrations?

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
I don’t see the point unless you can somehow get the calibration files for the mic. Each one has a serial number and probably like the UMIK mics have a factory calibration file.

I wonder how they work that. You can calibrate offline. So probably the GLM install itself has a database of mics and calibrations?
For normal microphone I think he meant use as pc input for net meeting or so.

Not sure for drivers but I believe it should work with generic usb mic drivers.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For normal microphone I think he meant use as pc input for net meeting or so.

Not sure for drivers but I believe it should work with generic usb mic drivers.
That should work fine. It actually does not need drivers as it will simply plug into the analog mic jack on the PC. Unless the GLM system has changed the pin outs on the connector.

Reactions: YSC

YSC

Major Contributor
That should work fine. It actually does not need drivers as it will simply plug into the analog mic jack on the PC. Unless the GLM system has changed the pin outs on the connector.
I see, somehow I have in mind it's a USB mic as the UMIK, which I personal did double as those COVID zoom/teams meeting input.

Trell

Major Contributor
Which is why I replied to the poster he could try it out himself as he has the mic.

Top Bottom