• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec G Three / 8030C as TV speakers

MGG

I am considering buying pair of Genelec G Three active speakers and using them as TV speakers. Idea is to connect speakers RCA inputs to TV's line out/headphone out so I can use TV's remote to control volume.
I can get 8030Cs a lot cheaper than G Threes and then use one of DRV134 based RCA to XLR adaptor converters to connect speakers XLR inputs to TV. I could probably also sell 8030Cs much easier if I end up not liking them. Will this give the same result as connecting G Threes directly? Will 8030Cs input sensitivity be an issue?

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I am considering buying pair of Genelec G Three active speakers and using them as TV speakers. Idea is to connect speakers RCA inputs to TV's line out/headphone out so I can use TV's remote to control volume.
I can get 8030Cs a lot cheaper than G Threes and then use one of DRV134 based RCA to XLR adaptor converters to connect speakers XLR inputs to TV. I could probably also sell 8030Cs much easier if I end up not liking them. Will this give the same result as connecting G Threes directly? Will 8030Cs input sensitivity be an issue?
There's a knob to adjust input sensitivity behind; I just hope that using non balanced connections won't bring you any unwanted noise. By the way, I'm sure you already know, but the 8030C is a small 5" with low internal volume, a subwoofer might be a good idea if you sit far away.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As far as I know the 8030C and G Three are the same except for the extra RCA input and default input level. I had a similar rationale and ordered the 8030C for my home office (not nearfield), and to have a taste of the Genelec sound before investing in their SAM models. They are back ordered so it might be a while before I have them here... :-(

If your TV has a digital output you can always add a F series sub and use it as a DAC / pre amp.

See this video:

Last edited:
OP
MGG

MGG

Thank you both for your replies!
I'm sitting 2m from TV so I guess 8030s should be enough? Idea is to use TV as DAC and preamp so I can control everything using TV's remote.
Should I consider Neuman KH 80 and 120? I think 8030s have lower idle power consumption. I have no way to audition either locally.
Can you recommend me a RCA to XLR adaptor or will any DRV134 based adaptor converter from AliExpress do fine?

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you both for your replies!
I'm sitting 2m from TV so I guess 8030s should be enough? Idea is to use TV as DAC and preamp so I can control everything using TV's remote.
Should I consider Neuman KH 80 and 120? I think 8030s have lower idle power consumption. I have no way to audition either locally.
Can you recommend me a RCA to XLR adaptor or will any DRV134 based adaptor converter from AliExpress do fine?
My guess is that the 8030s would work perfectly at 2 m for your setup. I don’t have mine yet, I can’t give you my subjective impressions...

I’m not sure about Newman’s... I find Genelec’s product design easier to live with in a domestic environment. I’m getting my 8030c in white.

Have a look at Genelec’s manual. I think they specify what the adaptor or cable pin out should be between XLR and RCA. If I’m not mistaken, “ground” and “-“ should be connected together at the RCA end. Check out Markertek, they probably have what you need, I trust them better.

JIW

I also prefer Genelec’s design. At first I also considered Focal Solo6 Be 6.5, as I like the sound of their home speakers, but they are out of my budget.
I'll probably acquire something like this to connect speakers to TV: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-of-transaudio(china)drv134-rca-to-xlr-adaptor-converter.9948/
I'm located in EU.

Focal's Shape series should be within your budget. Here is a review with measurements of the Shape 65. They seem less accurate than Genelecs and Neumanns though.

OP
MGG

MGG

I familiar with Shapes but I also arrived at same conclusion that they are less accurate than Genelecs.
I preferred Arias, a related line of passive speakers, compared to numerous other cheapish bookshelf speakers from KEF, JBL, Q Acoustics, Dali, Monitor Audio, AE... that I had opportunity to audition at local hi-fi shops.

Top Bottom