• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec G Four, KEF R3 or other?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, so its another Genelec vs KEF 3 post.

I'm contemplating switching up my speakers, currently Harbeth P3ESRs, which are actually very nice in the near field but utterly lacking in the lower frequencies. I used to not mind this, but since I started listening more to good headphones I've realised what I was missing in the lower register.

The room itself is pretty sub-optimal; its a 4 m x 5m sitting room in a small early 1900's house with a chimney/wood burner slap in the middle of the left speakers first side wall reflection point (really hard to face the speakers in any other fashion due to location of windows and doors). Its assumed that whatever speaker I get I need to introduce some treatment to improve the side walls, but otherwise listen at between 1 and 2.5 m and use some eq (which is not a problem).

My existing system is comprised of an RPI4 (using moodeaudio) into an ADI-2 Pro FS R black edition and a March Audio P452. I was more or less resolved to get the R3 as it gets me what I want in terms of better bass, with good performance, a great price in the U.K with narrow dispersion. However, I have since become very intrigued by the consumer focused Genelecs, the G Four in particular. I'd go for a pro genelec with DSP, but my feeling is that with REW, the RME and camilladsp I already have reasonable tools for eq available and TBH the ability to switch the power light off is a plus.

I'd be interested in any views (especially from any G series owners) before I push the button.

Pauper

I hope you get some response to this as I too have been contemplating something like the G4 or it’s pro model equivalent.

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about adding a little sub (or two) to your Harbeths?
I was considering that, advantages would include less nulls, but I'd be left with the less than stellar directivity at mid range listening distance. I've been playing with speaker position/eq for the last hour with the speakers both against the wall and in near field. I can get the sub 100hz behaving reasonably well (not deep obviously) by taking abit of gain off of that region when it's against the wall, but my perception is that the midrange feels very recessed at that distance-added a bit of gain in that region which did help abit. Overall though it's all too contingent on listening position. Move 3 feet to the left or right and things sound different. Leaves me thinking I could do with more even dispersion. Not sure how much of this is bias caused by knowledge of the flaws of the design. I need to measure it really.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Well, you can indeed add subwoofers to the R3's or Genelecs...

Measuring is the safe route, as with concentric designs you'll still have the reflections.

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you can indeed add subwoofers to the R3's or Genelecs...

Measuring is the safe route, as with concentric designs you'll still have the reflections.
You read my mind. Off to buy a umik.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I use KEF's on several systems, so I am super partial to concentric coaxials. They are easier to adjust in principle, but wait to have them in a tricky space for all those principles to show a lot of issues. Oh, and room modes, those are even more fun!

However, I love the single point source effect.

ferrellms

If you want to spend the extra money, get the Genelecs with GLM. You will easily have your room eq and plenty of power. You can add a Genelec sub and use the GLM with it, as well. With the KEFs you are on your own for power and eq. Having heard both the Genelec and KEFs, IMHO the Genelecs are better sounding, particularly with GLM.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought G-Fives. While waiting for delivery 10 months I purchased 8050's. I like the G5's better. I have yet to get a mic and start down the measurement path. For me at this point I'm likely not going to buy a sub because the bottom end I'm getting is great. I have them wall mounted on either side of our TV and we no longer need subtitles to watch TV.

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What did you end up doing?
I’m leaning towards a pro genelec-possibly the 8050. Happily my government has crashed our economy and driven inflation through the roof, so I’ve been bought a little more time to make my mind up :)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m leaning towards a pro genelec-possibly the 8050. Happily my government has crashed our economy and driven inflation through the roof, so I’ve been bought a little more time to make my mind up :)
You must live in Canada.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve had KEF coaxes (R500) and now 8040’s. I’d say you’ll be happy with both R3 as well as G4. If active is important, go for the Genelecs. Both speakers have a specific look, that may weigh in with the decision as well.

mkush

I bought G-Fives. While waiting for delivery 10 months I purchased 8050's. I like the G5's better. I have yet to get a mic and start down the measurement path. For me at this point I'm likely not going to buy a sub because the bottom end I'm getting is great. I have them wall mounted on either side of our TV and we no longer need subtitles to watch TV.
Do you like the sound of the G5 better, or something else? I thought they were basically identical. Asking because I just took delivery of 8040s instead of waiting for G4s.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you like the sound of the G5 better, or something else? I thought they were basically identical. Asking because I just took delivery of 8040s instead of waiting for G4s.
I can't comment too much on sound. The 8050's I had on stands on the other side of the room where the G-5's are wall mounted and more ideally positioned in the room. Technically they are pretty much the same, slightly different features. They do have switching PSU's which makes them lighter then the 8050 they also run much cooler.

The game changer for me was the colour "black".

mkush

I can't comment too much on sound. The 8050's I had on stands on the other side of the room where the G-5's are wall mounted and more ideally positioned in the room. Technically they are pretty much the same, slightly different features. They do have switching PSU's which makes them lighter then the 8050 they also run much cooler.

The game changer for me was the colour "black".
OK. Do you run a sub (or subs) with your G5s, or do you find the bass sufficient?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK. Do you run a sub (or subs) with your G5s, or do you find the bass sufficient?
No sub. Yes bass is terrific, the 8" driver goes low enough for music and I'm not really interested in rumble from movies.

mkush

No sub. Yes bass is terrific, the 8" driver goes low enough for music and I'm not really interested in rumble from movies.
Good to know. I ordered 8050s, then thought more about it and got 8040s and a sub. None of this has been opened yet so I can still pick between the 50s and 40s and return the one I don't choose. How large is your room and how far away do you sit?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
12 x 18 listening position is 8 - 9 out. Woofers are aligned with my ear height. I’m using the Genelec wall mounts so 5” from the back wall. I can move my chair forward more intense listening though I haven’t so far. My need for really loud has diminished but I still enjoy loud :)

I was only able to get the clipping lights to come on with the 8050’s once (drum solo).

mkush

I've got the wall mounts too, debating whether to use. It seems it would be best to have two side-by-studs behind them since those speakers are so heavy. Any issues there, with them supporting the weight?

Top Bottom