• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec, Ascend or Arendal for Upgrade?

OP
P

PapaEd

I would get a measurement mic and build/buy some room treatment before I spend any more money on speakers if I were you. You don't have to shoot around in the dark like this. I think the performance of your system is largely limited by placement (of both speakers and listening position) and room acoustics right now. If you're willing to add a sub, then do it now instead of upgrading L+R and buy 2 of them as well as some means of integrating them properly (e.g. minidsp 2x4hd).

Mostly say this because Q100, R700, LSR305 are all extremely good speakers in the big picture, and I think you're underestimating the impact that SBIR, room modes/standing waves, high rt60 in mid+high from all the hard surfaces in your space, boundary gain, are all having on perceived sound quality of your system.
Thanks for your input. You are correct that I have not previously considered impact of room acoustics, but since reading posts on this forum for several months and trying a number of highly regarded speakers that have disappointed, I am now considering it. I know I don't want to deal with room acoustics by applying room treatment, but I am inclined, as you suggest, to get a measurement mic and to purchase active speakers with DSP (Neumann 120II). I have listened to a sub SVS SB1000 in my room and do appreciate how it adds a palpable dimension to the sound, particularly for movies and some music, and I might add one later.

mj30250

How do those compare to the 2EX's?
I've never compared them directly in any capacity. But if forced to fashion a probable opinion between the two, I think beyond having a moderate preference for the treble reproduction of the 2EX V2s (due in part to its wider horizontal dispersion, which suits my room and tastes), I believe the 3-way floorstanding Be Revels would sound a bit "smoother" across the midrange and, of course, they are capable of higher SPLs. The M126Be versus 2EX V2 would be more interesting.

OP
P

PapaEd

The 2EX V2s actually have wider dispersion than the LXs. The LXs have a larger vertical window, though (less important unless you are up and walking around a lot).

The LXs do put out significantly more bass and offer higher power handling. The 2EX V2s are a little more textured and "airy" in the top end, due in no small part to the wider dispersion of the ribbons. I own both, albeit in very different setups.

Subjective impressions warning: The V2 upgrade to the 2EXs provided a significant gain in midrange / lower treble fidelity and "spaciousness" to my ears. I generally find there to be a certain upper midrange leanness in most 2-way speakers, and the V2 went a long way in remedying this to my ears. I think outside of bass and sheer power handling I prefer it to the LX for this reason alone. Lacking a sub though, I'd go LX.

I also use a pair KH 150s (the bigger brother to the KH 120 IIs) on my desktop - again, in another very different setup to the others, so valid comparisons are difficult. These speakers are amazing and out-extend and out-SPL even the LXs. They also perform the "2-way that sounds like a 3-way" magic trick even better than the 2EX V2s do. They are narrower in dispersion, though, so at further distances this may or may not be a positive depending on your room and personal tastes.

Ultimately, any of these will sound great. They are all SOTA speakers carefully designed for a neutral response and good directivity (can easily be EQ'd).
Thanks again for your impressions of the Sierra LX and KH speakers. I finally settled on the KH 120 II (KH 150 out of my budget) after considering all the helpful input on this post and many others on this forum. I really liked the Sierra LX but to make them work well in my space I realized I would have had to upgrade all my electronics including dsp for room correction. The KH 120 II with MA-1 mic and alignment software are a great fit and I think a really good value for my application: I listen mostly to Apple Music streaming a digital signal from Apple TV 4K through an Airport Express via simple Toslink to Coax converter to KH 120 II digital input using included DAC. The sound to my ears is transparent, non fatiguing and smooth and I can listen at levels far beyond what I would ever want. (Listening distance 7')

Setting up the MA-1for room correction was challenging but once I understood all the pieces I would need (audio interface, mic stand, Cat 5 cables, network switch etc.) the software was fun to use.
Missing low end, but I don't listen to much bass heavy music. I do think about adding KH 750 sub at some point.
I have the KH 120 II in white and appreciate the small profile and ability to mount them close to back wall.

In short, I am loving listening to my music now. After consideration I decided I wanted a well executed powered speaker that self contained speaker, DAC, Amp and room correction all in a low profile cabinet that works well close to a wall.

Top Bottom