• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A vs 8351B

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I had the 8260’s when they were released and later added two 7270 subs, they were my introduction to digital speakers, I haven’t had a chance to hear the latest 8361/expensive subwoofer combination.
Keith

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Just a funny photo I found, Genelec 8040 next to a 8361A
FB_IMG_1603156015966.jpg

CMB

May I ask a silly question please?

I am looking for a new pair of speakers for my living room (replacing a pair of Piega) to match my 845 SET tube-mp.
Don't hit me, at this point I am considering Forte 3, B&W 805d3+Sub, B&W 804d3, Focal Sopra 2...

I am always been intrigued by those Genelecs, which seems to measure so fine.
Are these speakers you would say, you can place in your living room (around 35m2), to enjoy just "normal" "Hifi" on my couch?
I am not monitoring anything, just enjoying music.

Thanks and excuse my dilettante question.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I am looking for a new pair of speakers for my living room (replacing a pair of Piega) to match my 845 SET tube-mp.
Don't hit me, at this point I am considering Forte 3, B&W 805d3+Sub, B&W 804d3, Focal Sopra 2...

Are these speakers you would say, you can place in your living room (around 35m2), to enjoy just "normal" "Hifi" on my couch?

i have replace all my speakers bu Genelec so i am very biaised. They are better than my Tannoy or Focal Even after room EQ. So yes, you can use Genelec in your living room (or D&D or KII) and yes they sound better than most.

if you are in Switzerland ping me.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I actually considered them? What do you like more about the Genelecs, what model do you have? Thanks

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes you can. I use the old K&H O300D (similar in SPL to a Genelec 8050). I added a sub later but they were very good without as well, in a 50 sqm room.

Reactions: CMB

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I actually considered them? What do you like more about the Genelecs, what model do you have? Thanks

i have a pair of w371 with 8361 in one room and 8341x3+8340x4+8330*6+7370 in another.
8361 alone are significantly better than the trio off axis. On axis at 2m, they are hard to tell apart. When you move left and right on the console then 8361 image is more stable. The w371 make an incredible difference, I use the constant directivity mode and so far it just look/sound stunning: after 6 months I am still speechless.

Note that the trio are excellent speakers too, esp nearfield. they are above most speakers I have listen too. You need a sub with them, I had the matching sub 6. They just cannot compete with a 14 inch drivers and some clever dsp.

I have not yet tried to play with 4 subs to see if I could replicate part of what the w371 does (I was looking for subs going up to 400hz or to PA Speakers but it was too expensive to make an experiment).

CMB

Thank you all for your kind answers.
I will have to consider those as well then and try to listen them somewhere/somehow before deciding.
A pair of 8361a could still match my budget (the w371 unfortunately not).

The question then would be if, without the "sub" w371, they still could "compete" with a 12 inch driver of the Forte for instance?
From a specs point of view they should even play deeper than the Forte (30Hz -6db & 36Hz accurate vs. 38Hz -3db for Klipsch).
But how is the subjective bass experience?

Thank you Pierre for your kind offer, but I am from Luxembourg.
Claude

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I also can't afford a sub, the 8361A alone cost more than my car lol.
You know what's intriguing, if the 8361A and Trio 6 sound similar than I wonder how the Trio 11 sounds in comparison.

Trismegistus

Has anyone compared them?
Unfortunately there's seems to be very little info and reviews of the new 8361A.
Anyways there's a big difference in price but specs are really close, obviously the sound itself is the most important thing.
Interestingly the the discounted 8260A goes lower than the 8361A
8260A:
  • Frequency response: 23Hz – 40kHz (-6 dB)
  • 8361A:
  • Frequency response 30 Hz – 43 kHz (-6dB)
The Genelec 8361A speakers are difficult to come by. That's why there aren't many 'professional' reviews online so far. I had to wait three months after selling my PMC IB2s. That said...they are certainly worth the wait. My room volume is 2900 cubic feet. Listening distance from my 8361A speakers is 8.8 feet. The Genelec room correction software is an essential part of getting the most out of them. Compared to my PMC IB2s the Genelecs have more precise imaging, better mid-range resolution and tighter, more detailed lows. The PMC IB2s are a bit 'softer' overall, maybe even a bit more forgiving, whereas the Genelecs are more revealing, more critical of mixes and masters. The Genelecs are not for someone looking for a 'less detailed, pleasant, musical, forgiving' speaker that will make most recordings sound okay, but rather for mix and mastering engineers who need precise, unforgiving feedback. I do find that I can make faster, more accurate decisions while mixing and mastering on the Genelecs. And, when I find myself in other studios on occasion, I can hear the 'flaws' in the speakers and room more easily now that my ears are accustomed to the Genelecs. I do of course listen to music for pleasure on my Genelecs (vinyl, CD, SACD) and they continue to reveal the flaws in so many recordings, which ultimately helps me to understand what I don't want in my own recordings.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The Genelecs are active so include an amplifier.
Your 845 SET will be redundant.

Trismegistus

The Genelecs are active monitors, so I would say they are not a good choice for you. You have a beautiful Dared tube amp which would match well with the sexy looking, amazing sounding Focal Sopra 2s, in my humble opinion. And, the Genelecs are have a utilitarian look to them which is better suited to a studio than a living room.

Trismegistus

The Genelecs are active monitors, so I would say they are not a good choice for you. You have a beautiful Dared tube amp which would match well with the sexy looking, amazing sounding Focal Sopra 2s, in my humble opinion. And, the Genelecs are have a utilitarian look to them which is better suited to a studio than a living room.
And remember CMB...there are NO silly questions, only silly answers. ;-))

Trismegistus

The Genelecs are active monitors, so I would say they are not a good choice for you. You have a beautiful Dared tube amp which would match well with the sexy looking, amazing sounding Focal Sopra 2s, in my humble opinion. And, the Genelecs are have a utilitarian look to them which is better suited to a studio than a living room. And remember CMB, there are NO silly questions, only silly answers. ;-))

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The Genelecs are active monitors, so I would say they are not a good choice for you. You have a beautiful Dared tube amp which would match well with the sexy looking, amazing sounding Focal Sopra 2s, in my humble opinion. And, the Genelecs are have a utilitarian look to them which is better suited to a studio than a living room. And remember CMB, there are NO silly questions, only silly answers. ;-))
Would you say the 8361A are on the same level as the Sopra 2?

Top Bottom