• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A vs 8351B

cl516

First two are 61’s now. Third pic was the 51’s.
It’s difficult to show in images, but my listening distance ranges from 1m to 1.5m, I slide the chair back and forth, and move around the room quite a bit too.
RNI-Films-IMG-BC7FFBC6-10CA-4421-8497-5B5D663ED29C.jpeg
IMG_8712.jpeg
IMG_8710.jpeg

G|force

Forum Donor
I love your XL. I have a SiX, not the same thing at all, I know. I'm sure it all sounds just fabulous. Cheers!

cl516

I love your XL. I have a SiX, not the same thing at all, I know. I'm sure it all sounds just fabulous. Cheers!
It’s just the regular X-Desk. The XL is too huge for me. SiX seems nice though, compact. For mine, I’m burdened with a crap ton of DB25 cables.

Tenku

Long time lurker, but finally decided to make a profile and join in the discussion on this great forum!

So I currently have Genelec 8351A + 7360A Sub (GLM calibrated) - they sound as good as they can in my semi-treated studio space.

My second set is Amphion Two18 which measure very decent considering there is no DSP or correction. (I have tested with Sonarworks and Dirac, but really don't like the smearing and loss of definition/transients so deleted them and prefer to just learn the raw sound of the monitors in the room.)

I've provided some REW charts below, but empirical evidence can sometimes be pointless...

Do they sound good? I suppose they do, but what is more important to me is that much banded word in engineering: 'translation'.

Essentially, I like having different 'sonic lenses' to hear through, which is why I also have Auratone 5c, Yamaha NS-10M, Fostex 6301 at my disposal, as well as a smattering of headphones from high end Focals to cheap £7 Panasonic buds, all to check mixes on.

While I don't really need an upgrade at the moment, there's always room for improvement (or perhaps improvement of the room?!). In any case, I am considering moving to 8361A or 8351B with W371 which is what led me here.

I am also currently demoing Dutch & Dutch 8c so will report back with my findings soon.

Genelec 8351A + 7360 (GLM Calibrated)
Genelec 8351A + 7360 GLM.jpg

Amphion Two18 (No correction)
Amphion Two18.jpg

cl516

I’m about 2.5 months into using 8361A, and so far the translation has been very good for me. (I had 8040 BPM’s before that, and also worked exclusively on headphones HD800 for 8 years before that.)

Mixes back then were always ok but a little cloudy in the low mids, never could fix it. Last two months, checking my mixes in my same usual places, I’m finding the bass and low mids translating much clearer for me! I’m working faster and trusting the 8361A’s more each day.

Compared to my earlier posts above, I even added a digital out module to my Symphony I/O mk2, so now the 8361A’s receive AES Digital In directly, and no more X-Desk in monitoring path.

All this depends on what type of work you do of course. For me, I work in game audio. It was Genelec’s impressive marketing (https://www.genelec.com/game-audio) that first caught my attention, and I gotta say, I am indeed hitting results that make me very happy with my 8361A decision.

Dgob

Long time lurker, but finally decided to make a profile and join in the discussion on this great forum!

So I currently have Genelec 8351A + 7360A Sub (GLM calibrated) - they sound as good as they can in my semi-treated studio space.

My second set is Amphion Two18 which measure very decent considering there is no DSP or correction. (I have tested with Sonarworks and Dirac, but really don't like the smearing and loss of definition/transients so deleted them and prefer to just learn the raw sound of the monitors in the room.)

I've provided some REW charts below, but empirical evidence can sometimes be pointless...

Do they sound good? I suppose they do, but what is more important to me is that much banded word in engineering: 'translation'.

Essentially, I like having different 'sonic lenses' to hear through, which is why I also have Auratone 5c, Yamaha NS-10M, Fostex 6301 at my disposal, as well as a smattering of headphones from high end Focals to cheap £7 Panasonic buds, all to check mixes on.

While I don't really need an upgrade at the moment, there's always room for improvement (or perhaps improvement of the room?!). In any case, I am considering moving to 8361A or 8351B with W371 which is what led me here.

I am also currently demoing Dutch & Dutch 8c so will report back with my findings soon.

Genelec 8351A + 7360 (GLM Calibrated)
View attachment 346683

Amphion Two18 (No correction)
View attachment 346684
Look forward to hearing your report. Thanks

Tisca

My two cents: I went with 61 over 51 simply because I got such a good deal from a pro dealer for the 61 that the 51 made no sense. Been looking at the 2nd hand market for over a year and they hold their resale value very well. The only downside with the 61 is that it might be physically too big =P. Haven't received them yet, still in factory painting queue.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My two cents: I went with 61 over 51 simply because I got such a good deal from a pro dealer for the 61 that the 51 made no sense. Been looking at the 2nd hand market for over a year and they hold their resale value very well. The only downside with the 61 is that it might be physically too big =P. Haven't received them yet, still in factory painting queue.
Which dealer? Been looking around for pair of 61's myself

Ciobi69

how much did you pay? thanks

Top Bottom