• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Also, for current owners of these chonky mf's, anyone have any stand recommendations or what they're currently using for couch-level listening?
I guess around typical 24" high is suitable? They're heavy too...

I know Genelec has their own offerings of hardware mounted and adjustable stands, but those are pretty pricey.
See this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/genelec-8361-speaker-stands.27376/

If you order directly from Thomann, they are half of the price that they are in the US. If you are in the US, you can get the stands, no problem. You can't get the Genelec-designed base though, even though Thomann carries it. You have to pay 2x in the US for those. Which, of course, they have to order from Europe for you and it takes 2 weeks.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Wonderful stuff…of course it’s Friday and a beer or two makes me think I know something…but the emi oval woofer which debut in the first B@w commercially successful speaker the DM1 was a thing of legend even before B&W. The surrounds were made of a new material, PVC, CHECK OUT…https://sfmkm.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html for a trip down the rabbit hole of British arostoricy, sail boats and the best speakers money could buy… OK I probably should wait for someone to proof this…good evening boys

Milt

Personally, I can see this as a perfect L/C/R for a home theater and\or multi-channel system.
Self-powered, etc., etc., etc.
Right now, $10k is a sweet spot an end-game price for a pair of speakers.
Obviously I understand that people's priorities and budget are significant factors.
Trust me, I'm not affluent by any means but a satisfying system is one of my priorities.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What center/surrounds would one use with these?
You can rotate them sideways. It comes with a different stand for that purpose.

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The only minor nit is slightly lower bass output.

It starts to roll off just above 40 Hz!

Judging by the number of posts and the rapidity of their posting, this review has been one the membership here has been waiting a long time for. This really is a stellar product. Thanks, @amirm, for testing this. Now if I can just find that winning lottery ticket . . .

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Welcome :).
My experience with Genelecs is that they sound true to the recordings .

You write that you like the BBC-school of sound and that you like Quad esl.
Those are speakers that in certain ways measure very poorly ( bad directivity, bad frequency response and high distortion at high levels ) compared to the Genelec 8361. But you like the sound of those speakers and thats fine .

The beauty with the GLM kit is that you can change the tonality in whatever way you want. If you prefer a dip at 3 KHz you can do that in GLM. If you want more midbass at 200 Hz to gain a warmer timbre of strings or a piano, you can fix this also . Just use the shelving filter, + 2 dB from 200 Hz and below can make a big subjective improvement with certain recordings.

Youre writing : ” I think that strings sound harsh and piano brittle. Depsite the excellent measurements and clear virtues of the speaker, the e string on a violin is artificial sounding to me, harsh, unpleasant and cold.”

Its clearly that you dont like that kind of sound - I wouldnt like it either . And all of this can be made to sound just like you want it to sound - with GLM and doing timbre corrections in the frequency response. Try it and you will be pleasantly surprised . It might take som time to play around with GLM and to understand how it works, but be patient and you will be rewarded . :)

All the 83xx models also benefit from being driven by a digital signal.
You can do the same thing with any competent room correction with passives.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
70 pounds impossible to move?
It is very hard to grab. You can hold on to the back strap or the port above it but there is hardly anywhere to grab the front. If you pull it up by the strap, it rotates like a suitcase and now you are holding 70 pounds with one hand. I could handle it for a bit that way but then there is no way to sit it down if you get tired. It is really a two person job.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I think we need to be careful what we share on this thread as it will be read by the general public.

This speaker is -30 dB @ 20Hz, it will sound like shit if there were to be a boost in any significant way.
I think we need to be careful what we share on this thread as it will be read by the general public.

This speaker is -30 dB @ 20Hz, it will sound like shit if there were to be a boost in any significant way.
I understood the post as satire.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Being a guitarist who dabbled in home studio I've known about Genelec for decades... just never would have consider nearfield pro audio speakers for farfield living room use.
I guess good implementation, design and DSP defies physics. I am not using for mains farfield.

Newman

Major Contributor
I wonder. 70 pounds impossible to move? I'm nearly 70, and a single old man job. Maybe a generational thing.
I am selling my hand-made bass horns and I estimate them at 250 kg each. So I'm thinking, "that's not a knife..."

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is very hard to grab. You can hold on to the back strap or the port above it but there is hardly anywhere to grab the front. If you pull it up by the strap, it rotates like a suitcase and now you are holding 70 pounds with one hand. I could handle it for a bit that way but then there is no way to sit it down if you get tired. It is really a two person job.
What about one hand under the bottom face plate and the other hand in the port on the back?

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Excuse me sir these are no longer called boxes they’re p

Excuse me sir these are no longer called boxes they’re crates ;)
Perfect for a pallet on a container ship idling outside a harbor. Hire some of us to fire them up. With the right kind of music coupled with pinpoint directionally, port authorities may allow line jumping.

Top Bottom