• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
think it's a polarizing "you either love it or hate it" situation. I personally love the way they look -- much more interesting and beautiful than boring wooden boxes. I'd say probably >80% of people who see them comment on liking their appearance, and the remaining 20% say nothing (probably hate them)

Yes, their look is polarizing for sure. Nobody can doubt they are excellent performers, but there's no way I could tolerate the style of the Genelecs.

When I was young, my Dad would say children should be seen and not heard- these speakers are the opposite.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For all these speakers, Genelec guidance is for nearer listening than my LR setup(these are recommended under 10ft, and I’m about 12). I’m wondering if that makes a big difference.
I'm sitting at about 11-12ft, and the 8351bs with subwoofer support can do above 110dB with no complaints at that distance. I never really listen that loud, but it's nice to know it's there. 8361 is imo a reference level(or more) capable speaker, and can certainly be used at 4m+.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And what about the point source thing in the Genelec 8361 vs the Salon?
That's a big reason(1 of 2) why the Salon2 projects a much larger image. One of the biggest reasons/goals for the fully point source design is to get that center image as small and tight as possible. Many people enjoy that(myself included) goal, but some like Amir(and Toole I believe) see that goal as detrimental.

See Amir's comments in the Triangle tower review where he compares it to the much better measuring Revel bookshelf. Despite the tonality being worse, he prefers the Triangle tower because its drivers are spread out more in vertical space, creating a more diffuse image.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So basically the 8361A has the equivalent of dual 8's, the 8351B dual 6.5's, the 8341A dual 5.25's, and the 8331A dual 4's. That sounds about right and lines up with their SPL limits.

That would put the 8361 in the same class as the 8C, which makes sense. Tuning is different, though. 8361 tuned for more output, 8C tuned for more extension.

drplinker

Dying to hear Genelecs (any of their monitors), majority of FR graphs on their website is flat. Feels like way more value for money (FR & dB) than many of well known / common floor standers (Revel, B&W, ...), at the same time simpler hookup (powered/active).

Wonder how to eliminate external DAC and utilize AES/EBU inputs !

1636705457517.png

BTW, isn't the paper wear on straight edge a bit concerning (in green ellipses) ? Wonder if it is due to shorter distance between coil and foam.

Edit: Added green ellipses.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I was quoted a price for 8351b from a French dealer that would have saved a substantial amount, shipping/customs... something like $1500 for the pair.

Damn! That's a ridiculously good price. I can't imagine anything in that price range that could realistically compete. Sounds like white van pricing to me.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, isn't the wear on straight edge a bit concerning ? Wonder if it is due to shorter distance between coil and foam.
It is not wear. It is meant to look like that, with dimples.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The MiniDSP SHD has 4 XLR outputs and does room correction with bass control. A setup like that could make the absolute most out of what is possible in your room.

Unless there’s an upgrade I wasn’t aware of, SHD does not have [Dirac Live] Bass Control (yet?). One would think miniDSP and Dirac would work together to make that happen, but they haven’t yet.

SHD does have the processing tools needed to manually add 2 subwoofers.

G4raw-k02.jpg

Genelec's are made from aluminium. I would love to see these in the RAW finish that the 80XX/83XX come in.

And with a grille like that over the coax! Actually just give me the grille and I’m a buyer in black or white too. Naked drivers generally prevent a speaker from “disappearing” for me. Even the contoured Neumann KH 80 grilles are borderline.

But what a well engineered speaker. There’s a bit of an implied “as expected” in there given the source, but that does not diminish the accomplishment.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless there’s an upgrade I wasn’t aware of, SHD does not have [Dirac Live] Bass Control (yet?).

Yeah, you're correct. They advise using MSO on their own site for dual subs. I honestly don't know if DLBC can be added to the SHD, it's always possible there are hardware limitations. Also Dirac seems to be maintaining DLBC as a special feature for high-end AVRs, I mean they're charging $500 licensing fee just for it alone which is almost 40% the price of an entire SHD.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...until someone pokes a finger at the tweeter

The tweeter does have a grille on it. The midrange is theoretically vulnerable to being poked, but a finger won't do it, would almost have to be deliberate with a hard, thin object.

1636763393685.png

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Amir is going to review it soon. Stay tuned... ;)
This is great news! I hope @amirm can compare them directly with the 8361. Even though the measurements are the most important, his subjective opinion on this comparison of the two top models from Genelec and Neumann would definitely be interesting.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is great news! I hope @amirm can compare them directly with the 8361.
That's the plan although how well I can make such a comparison remains to be seen.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What center/surrounds would one use with these?

I would use 8361A for all fronts(this is a coaxial speaker, it can be rotated horizontal). If the center is too big for you, then I would go with 8351Bs. The center plays most audio so having a downsized center with larger L/R doesn't make much sense(unless purely for stereo, I suppose). This is one reason I went with 8351Bs instead of 8361As personally.

For surrounds, 8341A or 8351B will work great. If you don't want to put so much money into surrounds, you could use the 2-way Genelecs like 8340A or 8040B or other sizes depending on your needs/budget.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The tweeter does have a grille on it. The midrange is theoretically vulnerable to being poked, but a finger won't do it, would almost have to be deliberate with a hard, thin object.

1636763393685.png

I wonder if the mid driver would be bird resistant...

My little conure has a tendency to bolt off in a random direction when something spooks her.

KaLam1ty

Also, for current owners of these chonky mf's, anyone have any stand recommendations or what they're currently using for couch-level listening?
I guess around typical 24" high is suitable? They're heavy too...

I know Genelec has their own offerings of hardware mounted and adjustable stands, but those are pretty pricey.

Top Bottom