• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
With the savings you could vacation in Canada, buy them and return home duty free! :D
epjjhczfmogcuglz890p.jpg

They come in huge boxes so I'm not sure how practical that is to load them on the plane

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing more rock solid than the speakers are these boxes.... :D:D
Sadly I'm not sure Genelec does the wooden crate thing regularly. Those boxes say 8351 on them but the 8351 comes in a cardboard box normally, as far as I know. Perhaps they only use the crates locally or as a limited special thing on releases.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Sadly I'm not sure Genelec does the wooden crate thing regularly. Those boxes say 8351 on them but the 8351 comes in a cardboard box normally, as far as I know. Perhaps they only use the crates locally or as a limited special thing on releases.
I'm not buying a pair without the crates, they're super cool

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I regularly listen to tracks that need a solid 30Hz response to sound good. Listen to them on anything else and the songs have missing bass hits. I'm just sad these Genelecs don't hit a solid 20Hz. Then they'd truly be the absolute bar none end game. I can skip the <20hz stuff, though it can be fun in a movie.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is 25 dB down 300-500 Hz OK?
20 dB is 1% so that is even lower impact on the response. It is also coming out the back which is less harmful than coming out the front with the same level.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What sort of numbers do other speakers show for cabinet/port resonances?
Here is an example of how bad it can get:

index.php

PeteL

Major Contributor
This is Pro Equipment, many high profile mixing engineers will carry their monitors from one studio to the next depending on projects since it's their reference. These things travel and I am not surprised Genelec would have options of custom flight crates for them.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is Pro Equipment, many high profile mixing engineers will carry their monitors from one studio to the next depending on projects since it's their reference. These things travel and I am not surprised Genelec would have options of custom flight crates for them.

For that purpose they do sell pelican cases and soft cases.

Maybe @Ilkka Rissanen could tell us, what's the deal with the wooden crates for The Ones and when they are available/used? :)

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

PeteL

Major Contributor
For that purpose they do sell pelican cases and soft cases.

Maybe @Ilkka Rissanen could tell us, what's the deal with the wooden crates for The Ones and when they are available/used? :)
OK, yes, but anyway, The point is I am sure they where not for typical Bulk shipment for retail, normally with hundreds of them in a container on a boat. That's the type of thing where you have to ship fast, on a plane, in the luggage compartment, the type of thing professional projects ask for.

Top Bottom