• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Going through this thread...
Man, "all you people" and both your 8351's and 61's lol...

Fug it, I think I'll just go 8361a's instead of the 8351b sub combo.
$2k saved now can grow into subs a few years later, if I ever need them... Now the hardest choice: do I pick Black or White color :rolleyes:?
Definitely white

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These speakers are simply peerless!!
Actually, they are not Peerless ;) While many other Genelecs seem to use custom Peerless HDS woofers (and Seas tweeters), these are specially designed for this series. That goes for both the racetrack woofers as well as the coaxial unit.

I bet a lot of DIY’ers would sell their soul to get hold of one of those coax’es. Sign me up :eek:

Eldus

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, they are not Peerless ;) While many other Genelecs seem to use custom Peerless HDS woofers (and Seas tweeters), these are specially designed for this series. That goes for both the racetrack woofers as well as the coaxial unit.

I bet a lot of DIY’ers would sell their soul to get hold of one of those coax’es. Sign me up :eek:

I don’t think you can single out one component as absolutely superior, the perfect aluminium milled baffle, the acoustically concealed woofers .etc are all things that other companies don’t even think of doing similarly.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t think you can single out one component as absolutely superior, the perfect aluminium milled baffle, the acoustically concealed woofers .etc are all things that other companies don’t even think of doing similarly.
Oh sure, but those things you can approach with some clever DIY’ing. The drive unit however, is way out of league.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh sure, but those things you can approach with some clever DIY’ing. The drive unit however, is way out of league.
It would be interesting to see if anyone can DIY a better baffle but I would be very skeptic.

Last edited:

brandall10

Smells like a scam.. I mean, from around $8000/pair down to $1500??!!??? ... :rolleyes:.

I meant $1500 off. The total shipped was about $6700 w/ GLM/remote at the time. Another member here in the US who purchased a pair from there clued me in. I think it's just the difference in cost between markets, esp. adjusting for VAT (which people in the US don't pay).

Last edited:

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What an awesome speaker system. Before ASR I would never have been exposed to this brand.

Just looked up local prices, defintely in D&D range. Also see the Neuman KH420 is about AU$5k cheaper - looks like similar performance.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Also see the Neuman KH420 is about AU$5k cheaper - looks like similar performance.
Amir is going to review it soon. Stay tuned... ;)

brandall10

What an awesome speaker system. Before ASR I would never have been exposed to this brand.

Just looked up local prices, defintely in D&D range. Also see the Neuman KH420 is about AU$5k cheaper - looks like similar performance.

Being a guitarist who dabbled in home studio I've known about Genelec for decades... just never would have consider nearfield pro audio speakers for farfield living room use.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Oops. Just added it to the review:

index.php

Admittedly I may not have been paying attention…
  • “Massively suppressed” compared to what?
  • Is 25 dB down 300-500 Hz OK?
  • What sort of numbers do other speakers show for cabinet/port resonances?

respice finem

Major Contributor
Being a guitarist who dabbled in home studio I've known about Genelec for decades... just never would have consider nearfield pro audio speakers for farfield living room use.
Just because many have "acoustically catastrophic" living room setups, with 5m "stereo" triangles, doesn't mean everybody has to.
Near- to midfield (2-3m), in a decently treated room, can deliver very good results, if you dare to abandon the "standard" setup of speakers against one wall and the sofa against the other one. Part of the blame goes to advertising, which shows it exactly the wrong way - huge rooms, huge distances, resulting in a "hell of reflexions".

Top Bottom