• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

Hmast

Hi, I was wondering whether speaker horizontal toe-in/out has an impact on image (it has) and why.

If we look at the dispersion figures of the 8361A, we can see the freq response is the same within a 50° angle. So what changes when we toe-in/out the speakers slightly and makes the stereo image different while the fq response doesn't change? I guess image is not related to fq response, so what is it related to?

Last edited:

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I was wondering whether speaker horizontal tilting has an impact on image (it has) and why.

If we look at the dispersion figures of the 8361A, we can see the freq response is the same within a 50° angle. So what changes when we tilt the speakers slightly inward or outward and makes the stereo image different while the fq response doesn't change? I guess image is not related to fq response, so what is it related to?
It's not the same, it's the same within 6dB. If we compare, for example, the 0 and 30 deg horizontal response we can see the 30 deg off-axis has roughly 2dB less energy in the treble.
Screenshot_2023-03-19-21-41-19-265-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Also take into account that when you toe-in/out the speaker you change the side wall reflections which of course has an impact on the soundstage.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Video documentary about the Genelec factory and production of the Ones.
From 22:42 to 32:15, in German language.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Impressive
Much more advanced than I've thought

CMB

I'm not buying any speaker that's not aluminum :)
It's more durable
It looks cool
It's nice to the touch
And also sounds better
Now, you can add :
"it is a good heat conductor, meaning that it conducts away the heat from the electronic components and prevent them by it to overheat"

Hmast

I already own a pair of 8351B but I wish I could buy 11 others for each of my rooms, my homecinema and one to bring to bed as a comforter at night.

With these, the only thing I could improve is... the room/house where I listen to music: the size of the room and its acoustics.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I already own a pair of 8351B but I wish I could buy 11 others for each of my rooms, my homecinema and one to bring to bed as a comforter at night.

With these, the only thing I could improve is... the room/house where I listen to music: the size of the room and its acoustics.
8361 is also an improvement :)

Hmast

8361 is also an improvement :)
I had the budget to go with 8361A but it was a complete waste of money in my case where bass under 80hz is routed to the subwoofer. So... not actually dreaming of a 8361A which is completely the same as a 8351B in term of coaxial driver and amp power.

Genelec only released the 8361A for people who need to go LOUD without a sub.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"and a factory in the USA that makes spoons on 70 year old machines..." Sigh, the "greatness" of America being emphasized to Germans, they will think we are just stupid Americans.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I had the budget to go with 8361A but it was a complete waste of money in my case where bass under 80hz is routed to the subwoofer. So... not actually dreaming of a 8361A which is completely the same as a 8351B in term of coaxial driver and amp power.

Genelec only released the 8361A for people who need to go LOUD without a sub.
And greater listening distances, having had both here and I don’t sit that faraway I would have the 8361s plus subs.

Keith

Hmast

And greater listening distances, having had both here and I don’t sit that faraway I would have the 8361s plus subs.

Keith
Yes, greater listening distances = louder. Not my case.

But with subs I don't get why you would go with 8361A... the only difference with 8351Bs is the bass part (amp and woofers) which isn't stressed if you use a subwoofer and cut below 80hz. Mids and trebles are as loud on both models (same coaxial unit and same amps).

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, greater listening distances = louder. Not my case.

But with subs I don't get why you would go with 8361A... the only difference with 8351Bs is the bass part (amp and woofers) which isn't stressed if you use a subwoofer and cut below 80hz. Mids and trebles are as loud on both models (same coaxial unit and same amps).
The 8361 is basically flat to 36 Hz. Cutting it off at 80Hz would seem to be huge waste.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Except the Kh420
Is there anything better/as good than 8361 at the same price ?

Hmast

Except the Kh420
Is there anything better/as good than 8361 at the same price ?
From all the products reviewed on this forum, KH420 is rated as the best stand-alone speaker while 8361 and 8351 are the best speakers when paired with their sub. 8361 without a sub is still VERY close to the KH420 and I don't know about Neumann but GLM with Genelec SAM speakers allows such an easy and efficient correction... in the end I would not be surprised if Genelec has the best overall speaker and the acoustics are not perfect in-room. Again, I don't know about Neumann's correction system.

One point to note though, if you listen to music at 1 meter or less from the speakers, I guess Genelec's coaxial approach will be better than Neumann's.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
From all the products reviewed on this forum, KH420 is rated as the best stand-alone speaker while 8361 and 8351 are the best speakers when paired with their sub. 8361 without a sub is still VERY close to the KH420 and I don't know about Neumann but GLM with Genelec SAM speakers allows such an easy and efficient correction... in the end I would not be surprised if Genelec has the best overall speaker and the acoustics are not perfect in-room. Again, I don't know about Neumann's correction system.

One point to note though, if you listen to music at 1 meter or less from the speakers, I guess Genelec's coaxial approach will be better than Neumann's.
In what ways KH420 is better than 8361 ?

Hmast

In what ways KH420 is better than 8361 ?
KH420 has a better bass: less distortion at loud levels and ability to go lower.
The hiss is also more quiet with the KH420: 18.3 dBA SPL against 24dBA SPL for the 8361A.

And... that's it.

But I am convinced that if you want the best sound in the world you will need a subwoofer. Why?
  1. Unless you listen to music in a perfectly treated room in a dedicated room (is such a thing real in this world?), you will have a hard time finding a place for your pair of speakers where the frequency response is flat in the bass region. Therefore, a sub will allow you to put your speakers at the best possible place for a nice response down to ~100hz. As for the bass, if you delegate the job to a sub, you can move it in the room to find the best place while you can still seat at the same location with the speakers located at the most convenient place for you. Of course you could add a second subwoofer to optimize and fill dips you weren't able to cover with the 1st subwoofer.
  2. Subwoofer are made for bass, they're heavy as hell (is hell heavy? good question), their driver is really made for the sub 100hz region while woofers on speakers often have to handle up to 300-500hz to take over the mid-range driver. Therefore, a 18 inches driver will without a doubt have less distortion than an 10" woofer (KH420, 8361). It will go lower, it will go louder.
  3. The bass woofer of your speaker will have less work and therefore will be better in the high bass region and will be able to go louder.
Of course all of this is possible only if:
  1. The subwoofer is very good (not all subs are equal)
  2. You are able to integrate the sub perfectly. In my experience, I was never able to do that before I met the GLM kit. You'll certainly be able to do it for most setups/brands using REW software and a microphone, but it will require a lot of time and knowledge. What GLM offered me is an outstanding "click and play" experience. I won't go into GLM's autophase and woofercal processes details but I find it to work very, very well.

@Pearljam5000 unless you don't care about wasting money or you can't mentally handle the fact you don't own the biggest Genelec model, you'll end-up with a pair of 8351Bs and a 7380A sub :D That is your endgame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom