• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 639 94.2%

• Total voters

Hephaestus

I've seen several Genelecs on the sub reddit
" audiophile"
They've become popular in hifi world
A large thanks for that goes to Audiosciencereview.com for sure
I am certain that Genelec is moving a lot more of speakers from the "Ones" family than they have originally projected. Thanks to ASR!

hege

Forum Donor
But having all the DSP inside the Genelec monitors/subwoofer is great and a big reason as to why I bought them.
Sure, it's convenient. And for the prices you should expect it too.

Makes no difference to me though, as you can do external DSP a hundred ways anyway. I've bought my Gennies purely for their quality, performance and resale value which is hard to match. :cool: But yes the subs are way overpriced, which is why I need the external DSP. And the boxed master series don't have that many EQ filters available.

Trell

Major Contributor
Sure, it's convenient. And for the prices you should expect it too.

Makes no difference to me though, as you can do external DSP a hundred ways anyway. I've bought my Gennies purely for their quality, performance and resale value which is hard to match. :cool: But yes the subs are way overpriced, which is why I need the external DSP. And the boxed master series don't have that many EQ filters available.

Not only are the Genelec subwoofers expensive but also quite ugly. The 7360A I have is paired with 8330A for my desktop with the Genelec subwoofer neatly tucked under the desk out of sight. My wife 2.0 desktop setup is a pair of 8330A.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Most pro audio places will discount the street price if you ask them for a quote. I got three quotes, and was given a very generous discount. my choice was between the KH420 and this speaker. There was a better discount on the 61’s. ;)
Thanks for the tip.
By the way that would be my pick too
8361 or KH420
No one heard them both I think
Some claim KH420 bass is better

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t get this at all. These speakers in my opinion should only be calibrated with GLM or at minimum calibrated first with GLM. GLM works at the core DAC level. Using anything else is simply not going to work as well.
I think he’s just saying it for the fact of reporting it. Doesn’t surprise me that a controlled directivity speaker sounds better than one without.

It’s just to make a point that even without having (why would you unless you forgot to pack it or broke it?) GLM they are better behaved in an average room.

We pretty much expect they from the graphs. He’s just giving us his personal experience that it is true.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most pro audio places will discount the street price if you ask them for a quote. I got three quotes, and was given a very generous discount. my choice was between the KH420 and this speaker. There was a better discount on the 61’s. ;)
Really? Mine did not discount at all. They did throw in the GLM unit and volume knob. So maybe $400 off. I really made a mistake I suppose.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
theoretically Dirac is more sophiticated tool and is doing impulse/time aligment + more felxibale EQ. The tuning of the impulse responce is the main reson for the better imaging after the calibration.
But if i foud a GLM kit wil test it for sure.
In the grade report apparently it does correct for impulse response however I do not know to what degree. It doesn’t seem perfect in the after calibration.

Also it seems they realize a lot of us are buying this for home. So the phase correction they introduced comes at the cost of additional latency. I think they need to introduce more options like that.

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Really? Mine did not discount at all. They did throw in the GLM unit and volume knob. So maybe $400 off. I really made a mistake I
Really? Mine did not discount at all. They did throw in the GLM unit and volume knob. So maybe $400 off. I really made a mistake I suppose.
I think that may be a function of the country in which you bought them.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Damn
FB_IMG_1667731976154.jpg

JAY22

I’ve compared the 8361 and 7370 sub against the ATC SCM45 and sub in two different studio settings.

I personally wanted to prefer the ATC’s - really because I’m a professional engineer and most engineers love them! And I prefer the idea of a ‘classic’ design, not reliant on DSP…(exactly what many others would say)

But in both rooms, the ATC’s were not even close to the Genelec’s. I know it’s down to personal preference but I honestly could not see why anyone who listened in those spaces would chose the ATC over the Genelec (and of course it could have been those two rooms really not being suited to the ATC’s, how they were set up etc…)

mkt

“For me, multi-channel audio is the most enjoyable way to experience music, and I'll listen this way whenever I can. I feel like it's impossible to go back entirely to stereo after you've heard a decent multi-channel system!”

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just a little anecdote…a good friend of mine came over tonight to hear my ‘61s. He has a pair of Heresy III’s at home he listen to music on. After hearing the ‘61s play some music he was familiar with, he was speechless for a minute, then he said “Well, there’s two instruments in that song I didn’t even know were there..” True story, lol.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I’ve compared the 8361 and 7370 sub against the ATC SCM45 and sub in two different studio settings.

I personally wanted to prefer the ATC’s - really because I’m a professional engineer and most engineers love them! And I prefer the idea of a ‘classic’ design, not reliant on DSP…(exactly what many others would say)

But in both rooms, the ATC’s were not even close to the Genelec’s. I know it’s down to personal preference but I honestly could not see why anyone who listened in those spaces would chose the ATC over the Genelec (and of course it could have been those two rooms really not being suited to the ATC’s, how they were set up etc…)
What were the differences in the sound?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember reading here someone who said after having a multichannel system that the only thing that needs to be surround is the bass. Must have at least one subwoofer behind you.

Of course some may disgree. I hope they like the 5.1 catalog.

Top Bottom