• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

KaLam1ty

If you want analog sound definitely go with ATC
This kind of authoritative input, commenting when you have no personal comparative experience on the matter, is not helpful and amounts to misguidance.
We're trying to discuss why there is a preference for the sound or what is the cause of it.

@outfaced
Regarding the "lack" of high end resolution, are you using GLM or any kind of correction? These speakers are powerful and go WAY low (mine hit 23Hz @ -6dB with room gain). If you're not doing anything to de-emphasize or control excessive bass, you're likely to encounter more resonance and room mode issues which will definitely cause issues in clarity.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This kind of authoritative input, commenting when you have no personal comparative experience on the matter, is not helpful and amounts to misguidance.
We're trying to discuss why there is a preference for the sound or what is the cause of it.

@outfaced
Regarding the "lack" of high end resolution, are you using GLM or any kind of correction? These speakers are powerful and go WAY low (mine hit 23Hz @ -6dB with room gain). If you're not doing anything to de-emphasize or control excessive bass, you're likely to encounter more resonance and room mode issues which will definitely cause issues in clarity.
I heard both the Genelecs and ATCs and pretty much any major monitor brand on the market and / or model.
It's totally my opinion, and based on what I heard and felt, but the ATCs are way more analog sounding than the Genelecs which are pretty much the opposite of that, not in a bad way obviously.
I'd recommend anyone that likes neutral analytical sound to go with the Genelecs and any one that's into a more "organic" and analog sound and less of a sonic microscope thing to go with ATCs.
I'm not saying the Genelecs are artificial sounding, to me they are the more correct sounding, but it's just how I feel, and not just me Becaue those who hate the Genelec "sound" love the ATC "sound" and vice versa.
Yeah, not exactly scientific, just what my ears tell me.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Just curious which models specifically and in which spaces? I’d like a listen too.
Yeah not in an optimal space
Usually store demos
Except the KH120s and Focal Alpha 80 which I owned.
Obviously not an ideal situation but when you hear them several times you get a pretty good picture of their sound.

outfaced

You are one of the few who commented that have heard both ATC and the Genelec "One". I would expect the active Genelec to have more resolution over the passive ATC's that you own. The active ATC's offer a lot more resolution than their passive models, especially the 3-way passive vs 3-way active models. So I'm not surprised there... but how about the tonality of musical instruments. Which one reproduces violin or guitar with the most body, richness, and depth? I was actually confused a bit by your post, because it sounds like you appreciate the resolution of the Genelec but prefer the sound and tonalty of the ATC? Hoping you can further clarify your subjective opinion.
Sooo, the story goes on ...
Juts to be clear - i am a home audiophile searching for enjoyment from the music and not a studio engineer chasing ideal reproduction. Those two can be pretty far apart. the point is - I don't need 100% real live like reproduction to enjoy the music, or there are certain hi-fi gimmicks that are not exactly real, but are still very enjoyable ;)

To the question -
body goes to genelc. ATCs (speaking only from SCM 40 ... 50s and upwords and studio versions are another thing i suppose) sound is more on the thin side.
The depth, hmm ... here they play very different (but this is very depending on room and how the interact with it). With the ATCs the stage was in my case behind the speakers. Exactly the opposite with the genelcs ... the stage is in-front. A little bit a headphonelike feeling. Both can be enjoyable. The genelcs in my case just filling the room better.
richness - here is a little bit difficult and we are coming to the part with the hi-fi gimmicks. The 40s paired with the ATC P1 amp has a very rich highs. Unrealistic rich ... but nice. And with reproducing somekind of quite echoes they are giving a sense of nice depth and detail. I was using them also with a purifi eigentakt amp and this effect wasn't so pronounced. But after all this is a system of dac+amp+speaker and difficult too compare to all in one solution like the genelcs.

At the end comes another crucial aspect - the calibration. In my case over dirac (dont have the GLM kit). The genelecs have before calibration far better response then the ATCs and after the calibration ... oh boy ... now they are really shining. Never got this before-after result and so clear enhancement with the ATCs. Actually they was very hard to calibrate adequate and often they sounded even thinner in the mids after calibration. The genelcs have now better and wider soundstage and the mids are even more rich and the hights more clear :)
In my room and for my taste I am definitely more satisfied with the genelec solution. :cool: ... and if i have to compare them price wise the genelcs also wins - replacing DAC, XLR cables, speaker cables, spdif cable, AMP and spekaers

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting observation on the soundstage. I have to agree that in my room the Genelecs do put the soundstage in front of the speaker axis. I have not heard ATC but I felt for example LS50w put the stage behind a little.

Now that’s a question of what factors cause that difference and how we can influence that to taste. I quite like the forward presentation especially as the display is also out a bit (back and sides treated) as it is on a MantelMount.

Probably if had to do it again I would slim mount it at the exact height I like. However I do appreciate the display being closer to me and giving me a bigger field of view.

Last edited:

outfaced

interesting discovery ... the famos blackbird studio had 2019 both - ATC and genelcs
Blackbird-Studio-Studio-C-2[1].jpg

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the end comes another crucial aspect - the calibration. In my case over dirac (dont have the GLM kit). The genelecs have before calibration far better response then the ATCs and after the calibration
I don’t get this at all. These speakers in my opinion should only be calibrated with GLM or at minimum calibrated first with GLM. GLM works at the core DAC level. Using anything else is simply not going to work as well.

hege

Forum Donor
I don’t get this at all. These speakers in my opinion should only be calibrated with GLM or at minimum calibrated first with GLM. GLM works at the core DAC level. Using anything else is simply not going to work as well.
There is nothing magical about GLM, it's a simplistic parametric EQ. Doing all the DSP inside the speaker only provides a very marginal and theoretical bit depth advantage. Which can be mitigated by simply adjusting volume structure, so source is kept as high as possible for normal listening. Not that the worst case is audible in the first place.

outfaced

theoretically Dirac is more sophiticated tool and is doing impulse/time aligment + more felxibale EQ. The tuning of the impulse responce is the main reson for the better imaging after the calibration.
But if i foud a GLM kit wil test it for sure.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Trell

Major Contributor
There is nothing magical about GLM, it's a simplistic parametric EQ. Doing all the DSP inside the speaker only provides a very marginal and theoretical bit depth advantage. Which can be mitigated by simply adjusting volume structure, so source is kept as high as possible for normal listening. Not that the worst case is audible in the first place.

The Genelec SAM have a latency of about 4 ms and for some uses low latency is important. My understanding is that Dirac latency is much higher.

hege

Forum Donor

Trell

Major Contributor
Not really an issue home entertainment. Just responding to a blanket "simply won't work as well" statement. Of course trying hard one can come up with specific issues where something can affect something.
For home entertainment use, probably not an issue, but Genelec targets the pro audio market that have different requirements.

For my use latency does not matter that much as long as it’s “reasonably low”. But having all the DSP inside the Genelec monitors/subwoofer is great and a big reason as to why I bought them.

outfaced

For home entertainment use, probably not an issue, but Genelec targets the pro audio market that have different requirements.

For my use it does not matter.
The dealer in Berlin told me, they sell meanwhile 50/50 for studio and home :)

Top Bottom