• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry, not quite sure what they mean by "sound relatively average without some built-in correction." Could you qualify what the point being made is?
I also don't know, but I will ask.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I look at them, it seems to me that the WAF ratio shouldn't be that low, especially in white. But ok, I don't have a wife ;)
I do not like them completely. They're not ugly, but they're not pretty either - for me. They just can be. However, I would prefer the look Neumann KH 420, for example.
I have to audition them sometime, preferably compared to the KH 420. These Genelec look perfect on the measurements, or almost perfect, but some people complain about them. If I remember correctly, mostly high-pitched. I also remember that on one of the Polish audio forums someone wrote that they sound relatively average without some built-in correction or something like that. Could it be the SAM system?
But they do have SAM, why would you not use it?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You made me laugh, but that's sad. I guess you could have better luck with the more boxy ones (1237/8A, S360).
All is not lost for the 8361As. I still have a few arguments in reserve. First, I didn't mention to her yet that the 8361A are powered speakers, so my ugly ~100 pound Class AB amplifier would be out of the living room. Second, I am also betting that the Genelecs will be more amenable to closer placement to the front wall than our current Salon2s, which demand that the front baffle be about six feet out from the front wall for best imaging. (The Salon2s, in the two rooms I've had them in, have been very placement-sensitive.) Third, and perhaps the most compelling argument, is that the Salon2s would move into the HT system. (It's a 2.1 set-up.) The Salon2s will be a very substantial audio upgrade to that system, and my wife is the primary video watcher in the family by a large margin. The HT room is only about 2200 cubic feet in volume, so the Salon2s should be capable of 20Hz bass without the use of subs, which will simplify that room too. I also plan to swap out the 18" monster sub in the music system for a pair of smaller, more manageable subs, if they are necessary, that will be less obtrusive when/if I get the Genelecs. (Subwoofer technology has come a long way in 11 years.)

And, if these arguments fail to convince her, I can remind her that 17% of the area of our home is dedicated to her music studio, which is so full of percussion instruments that a person has to be careful not to stub a toe or trip. I seldom have to resort to guilt trips to get my way, but I'm ready and willing...

lherrm

All is not lost for the 8361As. I still have a few arguments in reserve. First, I didn't mention to her yet that the 8361A are powered speakers, so my ugly ~100 pound Class AB amplifier would be out of the living room. Second, I am also betting that the Genelecs will be more amenable to closer placement to the front wall than our current Salon2s, which demand that the front baffle be about six feet out from the front wall for best imaging. (The Salon2s, in the two rooms I've had them in, have been very placement-sensitive.) Third, and perhaps the most compelling argument, is that the Salon2s would move into the HT system. (It's a 2.1 set-up.) The Salon2s will be a very substantial audio upgrade to that system, and my wife is the primary video watcher in the family by a large margin. The HT room is only about 2200 cubic feet in volume, so the Salon2s should be capable of 20Hz bass without the use of subs, which will simplify that room too. I also plan to swap out the 18" monster sub in the music system for a pair of smaller, more manageable subs, if they are necessary, that will be less obtrusive when/if I get the Genelecs. (Subwoofer technology has come a long way in 11 years.)

And, if these arguments fail to convince her, I can remind her that 17% of the area of our home is dedicated to her music studio, which is so full of percussion instruments that a person has to be careful not to stub a toe or trip. I seldom have to resort to guilt trips to get my way, but I'm ready and willing...
This seems easy.
If the budget allows, you can take your chance with W371A+8351B as well.

Last edited:

Hephaestus

When my wife saw the 8361A for the first time she really did not like them (the way they look). I asked her to sit down and listen to some Lianne La Havas and Vanessa Williams that she likes. We have been really happy with the speakers :)

Curvature

Major Contributor
When my wife saw the 8361A for the first time she really did not like them (the way they look). I asked her to sit down and listen to some Lianne La Havas and Vanessa Williams that she likes. We have been really happy with the speakers :)
Lovely outcome :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Something new is coming soon from Genelec (though I'm not sure it's a studio monitor)
Screenshot_20220916_040227.jpg

Doogie Howser

Judging from the juxtaposition of the two different speaker models, I reckon it is either a full ranged "The One" 8371 - perhaps something that includes a rear firing LF driver for cardioid response al la W371. Or 12-series style boxes are going to be getting some of the coaxial treatment.

Last edited:

hege

Forum Donor
What speakers are those?

That's actually the pair I heard myself at the dealer showroom before being delivered.. if there's anything negative, it's sad that they don't go all the way down to 20hz like 1236A. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom