• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

CMB

Yes, but the best sound option is on a stand that dont bring diffraction problems. The Genelec pictures are probably for marketing . It would be sad to put those 8361 on a shelve when they have done such an extensive work trying to minimize diffraction in the loudspeaker construction.
It might maybe be not be the ultimately ideal, but if it’s good for Genelec Marketing, it’s ok for my untreated living room .
Actually, I have to say that I didn’t experience any kind of sadness with these speakers yet. That is actually the only frustration I have.

FunkeXMix

Are these open sounding speakers? Another way to say it, disappering speaker. You know, when they create a 3d holographic sound so it's harder to say that the sound is coming exactly from the speaker.

kevinh

Earl; Geddes wrote some good papers on Low Bass in rooms, as had Floyd Toole, Earl focused on 3 subs to deal with room modes. Doing that with 3 Genelec Sam Subs would be interesting.

Curvature

Major Contributor
They are absolutely capable of that, but much of what you describe will be determined by your room
It really doesn't.

The room only dominates sound in the modal region below the transition range. Above that range the speaker dominates.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I enjoy the 8361a without a sub for now
Not sure anyway if it s really needed anyway.
It is perfect until 30Hz.

Also, I would say the 7360 should be good for more SPL anyway, maybe up to 100db at 3m.
That should already be enough for party levels.
Don’t you think?

As always, it depends what you are listening to. At 3m,
or
for example, will not work
that well with only the 8361A. If you add a 7380 you will really feel the difference. That's only if you push the volume of course, but at 73dBA at listening position you hear the difference(remember that will a lot of bass, 73dB can be loud).

Reactions: CMB

CMB

Thanks
I did some extremely small position adjustment, moving the speakers more in front, looking to avoid "diffraction" from the stands (thanks TangBang), and gained somehow nice bass extension measured at 23,9/24,2 Hz -6dB.
I would say that will be sufficient bass extension for me :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone explain why this kink exists? Quality control issue?

1659907502225.png

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
From this reply I don't see any advantage for the 1237A. over the 8361A.
Maybe the bigger cabinet and woofer give the 1237 some advantages.
Also the mid driver is different.
We won't know until Amir reviews the 1237.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the bigger cabinet and woofer give the 1237 some advantages.
Also the mid driver is different.
We won't know until Amir reviews the 1237.
From measurement point of view it won't be as good as the 8361 like Genelec told you and their trustable own measurements show, which sound you like more is something though not dozens of internet discussions can help. As I had told you too recently from objective point of view the Ones are the better choice for your small room and listening distance.

Dgob

Earl; Geddes wrote some good papers on Low Bass in rooms, as had Floyd Toole, Earl focused on 3 subs to deal with room modes. Doing that with 3 Genelec Sam Subs would be interesting.
I recently toyed with the online suggestion (from Audioholics etc) of using 4 subs and integrated them to my 8361A's. Basically the two front cornered subs (7361A's) were integrated to flat in-room response down to 17 Hz using the GLM kit and two more (Velodyne DD12) subs in the back corners also integrated to the front subs. The result was such that I have now sent off my old Velodyne's to be completely recapped and will be getting them back this week. I will then run more extensive testing and if they do actually bring the rewards (without the faulty rumbling) that I initially heard, I will report back.

As phenomenal as the Genelec's are, this could be an absolute game changer (and, hopefully, conclusion) for me. Has anyone else gone down a similar route?

james57

I recently toyed with the online suggestion (from Audioholics etc) of using 4 subs and integrated them to my 8361A's. Basically the two front cornered subs (7361A's) were integrated to flat in-room response down to 17 Hz using the GLM kit and two more (Velodyne DD12) subs in the back corners also integrated to the front subs. The result was such that I have now sent off my old Velodyne's to be completely recapped and will be getting them back this week. I will then run more extensive testing and if they do actually bring the rewards (without the faulty rumbling) that I initially heard, I will report back.

As phenomenal as the Genelec's are, this could be an absolute game changer (and, hopefully, conclusion) for me. Has anyone else gone down a similar route?
Hey Dgob, would you be so kind to shed some light on how you intergrated non Genelec subs to your system or give me an idea of your setup.. thanks. 8361 plus e15 is the main option I am toying with but GLM and rytmik don't match.

Reactions: CMB

Dgob

Hey Dgob, would you be so kind to shed some light on how you intergrated non Genelec subs to your system or give me an idea of your setup.. thanks. 8361 plus e15 is the main option I am toying with but GLM and rytmik don't match.
Hi James,

I'm probably the last person to give technical advice. All I did was use the relevant channel of each 7361A's xlr output into each attached Velodyne's LFE input. I then used the Velodyne microphone and onscreen setup to match the cross over and flatten the response on both daisy chained subs.

I spent two days listening to this and the improved timbral detail shocked me. It brought me the textural detail and 3D staging that I had once experienced with a distant former and overly costly setup. Sadly, the aging caps were causing an unsourced rumble in the DD12's and so I went for the recaps. When I get them back later this week, I will attempt to recalibrate and then feed back if my initial impressions prove accurate.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Still trying to figure out why you're even considering 1237s...
I'll tell you :)
The 1237 feels more "professional" and is more of a midfield than a big nearfield which the 8361 basically is.
And some say the the old 1000 is still the best sounding and has a different sound than the Ones
And they cost about the same as the 8361.
So it's not that easy to choose ;)

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'll tell you :)
The 1237 feels more "professional" and is more of a midfield than a big nearfield which the 8361 basically is.
And some say the the old 1000 is still the best sounding and has a different sound than the Ones
And they cost about the same as the 8361.
So it's not that easy to choose ;)
You misunderstand. Why are you looking at speakers that big for a 3m by 4m room? That's way too much speaker for that size space.

Top Bottom