• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, here: The quote from the GRADE report that states that GLM AutoCal sets the optimal crossover frequency is incorrect. Disclaimer: based on AutoCal together with 8330A and 7350A.

I can only quote what the GRADE report says verbatim. Do you feel that the error is in the quoted GRADE or my interpretation of it?

Either one would be useful for me to know about.;)

I was wondering the same thing, why isn't my crossover being automagically selected? So I asked Genelec:

"You are correct, there is currently no auto option for bass management. This is a mistake in the GRADE report. I apologize for the confusion. Thank you for bringing this to our attention."

lappy

I was wondering the same thing, why isn't my crossover being automagically selected? So I asked Genelec:

"You are correct, there is currently no auto option for bass management. This is a mistake in the GRADE report. I apologize for the confusion. Thank you for bringing this to our attention."
I hope they implement this feature. I would say that AutoCal in most cases should be able to select a better crossover frequency than the user.

KaLam1ty

I hope they implement this feature. I would say that AutoCal in most cases should be able to select a better crossover frequency than the user.
I hope so too. At the moment, it's basically a two or more step calibration. I assume it's cause their goal is still to prioritize quick and immediate results for a expandable studio environment. For immersive set up, even automating such a task would take an eon. Things just need to be "click-click-done".

Otherwise, I normally pick 85hz default, then look at the measurements. If I'm not moving anything around, I test out one or two potential crossovers that would cover for monitor dips or deficiencies and listen if it's better/worse than the 85hz.

Still, changing the crossover basically requires a remeasure and recalibration of phase alignment, so it would be nice to save a few clicks with a more "thorough" calibration option for those that can wait lol.

ferrellms

How would the 8361 compare to something like the Kanta 2 SPL wise and bass output wise?
They cost about the same.
View attachment 197448
Probably
I should add on caveat to that though. The 8C's sound better in an untreated room, which is how they were designed to perform. It takes about 15 minutes of unboxing, placing them against the wall, and doing a few calibrations to be in audio nirvana.

However, once you go through the painstaking process to treat your room as I have finally done with my Genelecs, I think the odds are in Genelec's favor. A great speaker in a great room is difficult to beat.
Here is a thought experiment that would be nice to actually try -

DD 8Cs in an untreated room vs Genelecs with GLM GRADE-informed room.

An amateur guess - DD 8C, due to cardioid nature and management of first bass reflections, would have fewer room colorations and probably sound better in an untreated living room than Genelecs. Genelecs, with a room tailored to satisfy GRADE and the ITBUR professional specs for audio systems (which GRADE can check), would go even beyond the DD as more kinds of room colorations are detected and possibly resolved, not to mention the EQ facility of GLM.

Last edited:

Dgob

Thank you very much for the clarification. :cool:

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Probably

Here is a thought experiment that would be nice to actually try -

DD 8Cs in an untreated room vs Genelecs with GLM GRADE-informed room.

An amateur guess - DD 8C, due to cardioid nature and management of first bass reflections, would have fewer room colorations and probably sound better in an untreated living room than Genelecs. Genelecs, with a room tailored to satisfy GRADE and the ITBUR professional specs for audio systems (which GRADE can check), would go even beyond the DD as more kinds of room colorations are detected and possibly resolved, not to mention the EQ facility of GLM.
I also wonder if the wooden 8c sounds different than the aluminium genelec.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also wonder if the wooden 8c sounds different than the aluminium genelec.
They will sound differently but mainly due to their different directivities and not enclosure materials.

KaLam1ty

Good 6 month wait, but they're finally here.
I knew these beans were huge and massive, but man.. kind of scary getting them down the stairs. Definitely do get help if you gotta move these.

I still have a ton of cable management and decor stuff to be done -- measurements, treatments, furniture rearrangements and the likes. So just a set-up tease for now:

PXL_20220606_222439710.jpg

PXL_20220606_223415090.jpg

I'll be sure to share some more details and some better photos when I get around to it. Having too much fun with them right now lol.
At the moment, mostly: Synology NAS > RP4 (PiCorePlayer) > MiniDSP SHD

Oukkidoukki

Kalam, you really need a sub. If u have 10k to put these, u can find 2k for 7360 sub. I was able switch sub on and off real time with 8361 in a shop. It really is the icing on the cake. I really missed it when it was off. Otherwise, what an speaker……..I tried 8341 but 61 was more alive, better in every way…….sound has this roofles , airy 3d feeling that I havent experienced before. Same time I understand that for the average joe it is wasted 12k, he might not hear the difference vs 1500€ set

edit. Second thought…..maybe they had some crossover going on when sub went of…so maybe 61 can go lower on its own, I can be wrong here…

Last edited:

Hephaestus

Kalam, you really need a sub. If u have 10k to put these, u can find 2k for 7360 sub. I was able switch sub on and off real time with 8361 in a shop. It really is the icing on the cake. I really missed it when it was off. Otherwise, what an speaker……..I tried 8341 but 61 was more alive, better in every way…….sound has this roofles , airy 3d feeling that I havent experienced before. Same time I understand that for the average joe it is wasted 12k, he might not hear the difference vs 1500€ set

edit. Second thought…..maybe they had some crossover going on when sub went of…so maybe 61 can go lower on its own, I can be wrong here…
7360A cannot keep up with pair of 8361As. 7380A is recommended by Genelec. Those small Genelec subs simply cannot put out SPLs.
Even 8341A requires 7370A for optimal pairing.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
7360A cannot keep up with pair of 8361As. 7380A is recommended by Genelec. Those small Genelec subs simply cannot put out SPLs.
Even 8341A requires 7370A for optimal pairing.
What SVS sub would match the 8361A?

Reactions: CMB

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What SVS sub would match the 8361A?
There is a matching tool on SVS website but it doesn't have the 8361a. It matches their ultra16 models with the 8260's though so probably the same. To me you can use smaller subs than recommended especially if using more than 1.

CMB

If a sub, I would prefer a Genelec vs SVS, just for easy GLM integration.

Speaking about the 736a sam:
Does it not in the end, depends on the SPL you use or intend to use the 8361, respectively at what distance?

If the limitation of the 7360 is SPL only (which btw is still given at 113dB at 1m half space/ 118dB max peak);
but you never listen to your 8361 for instance >90dB at 3m. in what would the 7360 not be enough?

I understand that the 7360 might reach its limits before 8361, but, in a domestic use, how often does this be reached anyway?

7360 reaches down to 19Hz, where the 8361 ends at 30Hz, this is nice to have. But, 7370 or 7380 would be way way to massive for my living room anyway.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

Speaking about the 736a sam:
Does it not in the end, depends on the SPL you use or intend to use the 8361, respectively at what distance?

If the limitation of the 7360 is SPL only (which btw is still given at 113dB at 1m half space/ 118dB max peak);
but you never listen to your 8361 for instance >90dB at 3m. in what would the 7360 not be enough?

I understand that the 7360 might reach its limits before 8361, but, in a domestic use, how often does this be reached anyway?

7360 reaches down to 19Hz, where the 8361 ends at 30Hz, this is nice to have. But, 7370 or 7380 would be way way to massive for my living room anyway.
Is that 30hz in an anechoic room or a "normal" one?

Kervel

Forum Donor

Of course this is true, but if 90db at 3m is all you need, you should go for 8341 with the 7360 sub. Only if you need higher SPL, you need bigger monitors, and bigger subs to go with them.

Top Bottom