• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure about that? I had guessed that GLM just reduces the max SPL digitally on the monitors to cope with the sub being the 'weakest link'. This way, the whole system gives consistent SPL for all content. If you allow the system to play SPL as a function of content, then bass light music would go extremely lound, but then suddenly the volume needs to be reduced when the kick drum kicks in.
I think you have a technical misunderstanding here. The max SPL of a monitor or sub has no real relation to how loud it will play given a particular music signal until it reaches its absolute limit. GLM of course level matches to compensate for distance, but again that has nothing to do with max SPL.
I had seen the other thread. I asked to get more balanced feedback, being aware of some members having rather extreme SPL requierements
You asked if a 7360A will severely limit the SPL of a system including it and an 8361A and the answer is yes, it will, if the content's loudest frequencies are in the 7360A's frequency range.

If you were really asking whether 7360A+8361A will play *less loud* than 8361A by itself, the answer is no, absolutely not. It will still play louder than 8361A by itself.

Whether or not a particular combination of monitor and sub plays loud enough *for you* is also a different question. Pretty much all modern subs will compress at certain frequencies if they're asked to play too loud, often they will do this with no feedback or audible strain at all. So most people have no clue when they're being sub limited.

Genelec's subs at least do have a clip light so it should be easy to determine when they're hitting their limit.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I think you have a technical misunderstanding here. The max SPL of a monitor or sub has no real relation to how loud it will play given a particular music signal until it reaches its absolute limit. GLM of course level matches to compensate for distance, but again that has nothing to do with max SPL.

You asked if a 7360A will severely limit the SPL of a system including it and an 8361A and the answer is yes, it will, if the content's loudest frequencies are in the 7360A's frequency range.

If you were really asking whether 7360A+8361A will play *less loud* than 8361A by itself, the answer is no, absolutely not. It will still play louder than 8361A by itself.

Whether or not a particular combination of monitor and sub plays loud enough *for you* is also a different question. Pretty much all modern subs will compress at certain frequencies if they're asked to play too loud, often they will do this with no feedback or audible strain at all. So most people have no clue when they're being sub limited.

Genelec's subs at least do have a clip light so it should be easy to determine when they're hitting their limit.
Realistically can you use the 8361 as a normal "hi-fi" speaker sitting 3m from it, without subs in a not so big room?is 109db enough?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Realistically can you use the 8361 as a normal "hi-fi" speaker sitting 3m from it, without subs in a not so big room?is 109db enough?
Yes, of course. That's 109dB for 1 speaker only. It's plenty for that use case unless you're a bass head or into content with heavy bass and then you already know that systems without subs are pointless no matter what the speakers are.

samysound

Yes, of course. That's 109dB for 1 speaker only. It's plenty for that use case unless you're a bass head or into content with heavy bass and then you already know that systems without subs are pointless no matter what the speakers are.
@Sancus what are your thoughts on two 7350s vs a single 7360 with the smaller 8351B series? From the specs it looks like a single 7360 can play louder than even a pair of 7350s but the pair might have some advantage in more uniform bass over larger window.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Sancus what are your thoughts on two 7350s vs a single 7360 with the smaller 8351B series? From the specs it looks like a single 7360 can play louder than even a pair of 7350s but the pair might have some advantage in more uniform bass over larger window.
2x7350 probably won't play quite as low but I would expect it to be similar SPL other than that. The spec is 104dB vs 109dB but an extra sub is +6dB. Uniformity benefit is definitely worth it.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
2x7350 probably won't play quite as low but I would expect it to be similar SPL other than that. The spec is 104dB vs 109dB but an extra sub is +6dB. Uniformity benefit is definitely worth it.
You should get sales commissions from Genelec because you get asked a ton of questions about them ;)

HCT-5808

If you want to feed this speaker a digital signal to avoid the internal analog to digital conversion, what kind of device do you need to feed it a AES digital signal? I have a computer USB source and optical and coax SPDIF sources. Am I looking for a DAC with a selectable digital output? Or just some kind of SPDIF to AES converter?

ctakim

Forum Donor
If you want to feed this speaker a digital signal to avoid the internal analog to digital conversion, what kind of device do you need to feed it a AES digital signal? I have a computer USB source and optical and coax SPDIF sources. Am I looking for a DAC with a selectable digital output? Or just some kind of SPDIF to AES converter?
I chose the MiniDSP SHD Studio version. I'm feeding it with my computer as a USB source and the output is via AES/EBU digital to the Genelecs. It allows me to use the volume control on the MiniDSP and you have the marked benefit of being able to do DSP to equalize the output using DIRAC Live. I also stream via Roon to the MiniDSP over an ethernet connection. It works superbly.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dgob

Wouldn't a single 7360 severely limit the overall system SPL? That sub hits 109db while the 8361 goes 119 according to Genelec. Did you try cranking up the volume?

Yes I did crank up the volume and the SPL issue was a key consideration. Ideally, given funds and space, I would have got two 7370A's. However, I never listen to above 90dB in my smallish listening room. To maintain stereo separation and be able to listen to a great bottom end, the limit on the crossover is essential. I've gone fairly high at 75Hz, but nearer to 60Hz might suit other listening rooms and listeners.

Last edited:

Jimshoe

Well, it's been a 5 month wait, but my 8361's finally arrived today:

8361.jpg

Just plonked down and given a quick going over with GLM and sounding incredible.

Going to spend more time with positioning, REW and DIRAC, but for now very happy.

Have also to give a big shout to Richard and Mark at Eastwood Sound and Vision (I have no affiliation, just a happy customer). Richard was amazingly accomodating (lending me a pair of other Genelecs whilst I waited for these, put up with my 'are they here yet' emails and included a GLM kit in the (excellent) price). It really was fantastic to deal with him and an established family-run company - do check him out.

Will report back as things progress.

Doug

CMB

View attachment 205632

Just plonked down and given a quick going over with GLM and sounding incredible.

Going to spend more time with positioning, REW and DIRAC, but for now very happy.

Have also to give a big shout to Richard and Mark at Eastwood Sound and Vision (I have no affiliation, just a happy customer). Richard was amazingly accomodating (lending me a pair of other Genelecs whilst I waited for these, put up with my 'are they here yet' emails and included a GLM kit in the (excellent) price). It really was fantastic to deal with him and an established family-run company - do check him out.

Doug
Looks nice with this white stands.
Out of curiosity, why would you use Dirac when you got GLM please ?
Are you adding a sub?

Jimshoe

Looks nice with this white stands.
Out of curiosity, why would you use Dirac when you got GLM please ?
Are you adding a sub?
Thank you.

To be honest I might not use DIRAC as well. I could be wrong, but I understand that DIRAC is more sophisticated than GLM (managing phase etc). I will try it out and look at the results in REW and how it sounds to my ears.

GLM is delightfully simple to use however

KaLam1ty

View attachment 205632

Doug
I've been starting to like their looks more and more, especially in white and when matched with more modern or simple furniture styling. Plants also help lol.

Where did you get those stand btw? They seem perfect for the job.

I'm still waiting on my pair from Sweetwater since Jan. So many delays due to supply shortage and a huge problem with aluminum according to Genelec. Hopefully due end of this month, since it looks like they've finally pumped a few of these guys out!

Jimshoe

I've been starting to like their looks more and more, especially in white and when matched with more modern or simple furniture styling. Plants also help lol.

Where did you get those stand btw? They seem perfect for the job.

I'm still waiting on my pair from Sweetwater since Jan. So many delays due to supply shortage and a huge problem with aluminum according to Genelec. Hopefully due end of this month, since it looks like they've finally pumped a few of these guys out!
Hi there

The stands were custom made by Custom Design. Rather frustratingly they managed to get the colour slightly wrong, but they do work well.

Yes, my delays were all in manufacturing with Genelec - didn't know it was to do with aluminium.

Dgob

I recently installed the latest GLM software (4.2) from Genelec. I truly believe that this removes any qualms people might have about buying Genelec. Not only have they upgraded their algorithm, they have also introduced the GRADE (Genelec Room Acoustic Data Evaluation) report. I selected the receive report option on doing an auto calibration with the GLM. The report came back swiftly and I spent this morning adopting the recommendations in the report and setting up my monitors and room as near as possbile to their suggestions. Now enjoying near ruler-flat response from both 8361A's and the 7360A sub (from 17Hz to 20KHz).

The results are sonically amazing and makes Geneelec's possibly smile-inducing claim about the "best studio monitors on the planet" all too believable.

MrSoul4470

I've used Dirac a couple of times and I consider it complete crap. You measure/calibrate your speakers 5 times and you are guaranteed to get 5 different sounding results. Pure nonsense. GLM is totally reliable and the results you get are always the same.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I recently installed the latest GLM software (4.2) from Genelec. I truly believe that this removes any qualms people might have about buying Genelec. Not only have they upgraded their algorithm, they have also introduced the GRADE (Genelec Room Acoustic Data Evaluation) report. I selected the receive report option on doing an auto calibration with the GLM. The report came back swiftly and I spent this morning adopting the recommendations in the report and setting up my monitors and room as near as possbile to their suggestions. Now enjoying near ruler-flat response from both 8361A's and the 7360A sub (from 17Hz to 20KHz).

The results are sonically amazing and makes Geneelec's possibly smile-inducing claim about the "best studio monitors on the planet" all too believable.
Could you live with just the 8361 without the sub or is it a must?

Reactions: CMB
Top Bottom