• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

CMB

Many of the biggest speaker manufacturers are my clients, and I also play speaker designer in spare time so I can just hope that reviewers make better job.
So, you have clearly commercial interests.
Did you disclose those detailed somewhere, so that we can interpret your comments in the light of it?
Otherwhise, IMO the shame would be rather on you.
P.S. My original post was about removing product ranking with frequency responses only. Shameful that some...many members don't understand how poor that is. Nothing to do with Genelec or 8361.
I shameless think it is a useful "guidance".
Are your clients (dixit : many of the biggest manufacturers) not mentioned in the top 10 here?

lherrm

First attempt was about half a year ago. This forum is not really open for development. Fuses were burned so I was banned instead of any changes.

Sorry but I can't and don't want to play journalist or some self-exalting judge. Many of the biggest speaker manufacturers are my clients, and I also play speaker designer in spare time so I can just hope that reviewers make better job.

P.S. My original post was about removing product ranking with frequency responses only. Shameful that some...many members don't understand how poor that is. Nothing to do with Genelec or 8361.

If your tone was the same as it has been in the last posts, I think understandable you got banned.
Why would being a world class expert exempt from expressing respectfully ?
There are other smart people here, and yet they are a joy to read.

As for the (rightful ?) complain you're on about, there's a thread about it : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...aint-thread-about-speaker-measurements.11139/

kimmosto

So, you have clearly commercial interests.
No interests. I don't get any money from their products or "have to" like them. Just limits what can be said on discussion forums or hifi magazines. Keeping my mouth shut is quite adequate. Stop replying and that will happen also here.
Are your clients (dixit : many of the biggest manufacturers) not mentioned in the top 10 here?
What top 10? If you mean Score in review index, one manufacturer has few models there. Every designer/manufacturer has own design goals and philosophies. I don't have any direct influence to R&D so don't try to put this on some jealousy.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First attempt was about half a year ago. This forum is not really open for development. Fuses were burned so I was banned instead of any changes.

Sorry but I can't and don't want to play journalist or some self-exalting judge. Many of the biggest speaker manufacturers are my clients, and I also play speaker designer in spare time so I can just hope that reviewers make better job.

I still don’t understand why you are venting your grievances with ASR here on this thread, rather than on a thread appropriate to the topic.

You may want to consider that feedback is generally received and implemented more effectively when delivered in a respectful way.

You may also want to keep in mind that constructive criticism is a two-way street; when multiple people have commented on your sour attitude and you refuse to change accordingly, it’s rather rich hypocrisy when you to then gripe about others not accepting your criticisms.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I respect your opinion, it would be for me the most accurate summarization indeed, based on which I actually bought them myself ;-).

But that was not really my point.
Would be interesting to have actually Amirs opinion about the use of 1 of his sentences out of its detailed (public) review, for the purpose of marketing. I would have mixed-feelings.
I suppose the way I think about it is from the following two perspectives:

1. If I reviewed someone’s product and posted it publicly, would I be okay with them quoting it (as long as not a grossly inaccurate representation due to lack of context)? Of course I would. If I didn’t want anyone “fair use” quoting something I wrote, I wouldn’t have published it openly.

2. If I created a product and it was reviewed publicly, would it be fair for me to quote it (as long as not a grossly inaccurate representation due to lack of context) on my product website or other communication channels? Why not? If someone write publicly about my product, don’t I have the right to publicly respond to or share quotes of the public review?

Maybe I’m missing something, but I’m not seeing the problem here. It’s an interesting topic to discuss though, so I’m curious to hear your thoughts.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I still don’t understand why you are venting your grievances with ASR here on this thread, rather than on a thread appropriate to the topic.

You may want to consider that feedback is generally received and implemented more effectively when delivered in a respectful way.

You may also want to keep in mind that constructive criticism is a two-way street; when multiple people have commented on your sour attitude and you refuse to change accordingly, it’s rather rich hypocrisy when you to then gripe about others not accepting your criticisms.
He doesn't sound grown-up and professional enough and also not a good enough communicator to work in a significant position in any company, so I doubt what he says, he feels like a troll to me.

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
He doesn't sound grown-up and professional enough and also not a good enough communicator to work in a significant position in any company, so I doubt what he says, he feels like a troll to me.
Kimmo hasn't been very polite in this thread - and I'm not compelled by his premises about impulse response - but his software, VituixCAD really is top-flight, and quite broadly used.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Fuses were burned so I was banned instead of any changes.
Given your tone here, I can imagine why that is. It's a shame really given the knowledge you can bring to the table.
P.S. My original post was about removing product ranking with frequency responses only.
It's not truly poor, just one-sided. At the end of the day, frequency response (off and on-axis) is the major factor in speaker sound, so a good first filter. And indeed many more factors should be included when deciding on a certain speaker design. But the ranking is just a ranking by preference score, one can also make a ranking by price, size, or many other parameters. And @amirm's ranking is just his personal preference. You can just choose to completely ignore that. Would it be good to have more rankings? Sure, add distortion profile, waterfall (but I'd rather see it normalized by cycles, not ms), or whatever you want. But most of that data is already available anyway for anyone to see. Could there be more? Probably. I'd love to see a multitone, like for DAC's and amps, but apparently, that measurement doesn't work well at the moment with the current Kippel setup. I also like the dynamic test that Erins is doing for instance.
Shameful that some...many members don't understand how poor that is.
Who are those people? I could be wrong, but I don't think you will find very many of them. And the ones you will find are probably beginners that would not (yet) understand the other intricacies anyway. You could argue that learning them one preference score as a ranking is a bad thing, but I see it as a nice entry point in the interesting world of speaker measurements.

Last edited:

MGG

Maybe @kimmosto wasn't polite but this comment is literary shocking and @Robbo99999 should be banned.

CMB

114EAB10-658A-487A-A8A0-607B43ECF698.jpeg
Finally, I got my stands :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kimmo hasn't been very polite in this thread - and I'm not compelled by his premises about impulse response - but his software, VituixCAD really is top-flight, and quite broadly used.
Wow, that is surprising, but yes that is indeed very good software, I've used it before for it's SPL Trace functionality. I take back what I said in my previous post. As to why he is being so unconstructive in this thread is a real contrast, oh well.

73hadd

Forum Donor
Two questions:

1. I couldn't find by searching or re-reading, but this test was done using the analog inputs?

2. I am still not clear on the THD % at 86db and 96db. It's hard for me to compare apples-to-apples as I do not understand the conversion method.

Top Bottom