• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

feynman

Preference rating is null information with DSP speakers if drivers, enclosure and vents/passives don't produce significant near band deviation i.e. resonances because after that all weight will be in PIR which can be equalized to linear. PR columns should be removed from this forum as quasi objective, narrow minded ~ very stupid in order to earn some credibility.

I don't disagree with much of this, but it's a very handy spot to see what has been measured/reviewed, all in one place.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Preference rating is null information with DSP speakers if drivers, enclosure and vents/passives don't produce significant near band deviation i.e. resonances because after that all weight will be in PIR which can be equalized to linear. PR columns should be removed from this forum as quasi objective, narrow minded ~ very stupid in order to earn some credibility.
I don't know what this has to do with the 8361A and individual speaker review threads REALLY don't need more of this type of discussion IMO.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I may have missed it among the 81 pages, but why is this monitor not in the review index and rankings?
This ?

Active Speakers Under US$10,000/pair:
RecommendationPSLFXAmplifiers
#1Mesanovic RTM107.6*23*250 & 250 & 100
#2GGNTKT M17.1*29*210 & 70
#3Genelec 8351B (Amir) [See 8361A]7.029250 & 150 & 150

kimmosto

I don't know what this has to do with the 8361A and individual speaker review threads REALLY don't need more of this type of discussion IMO.
Discussion about ranking is not okay, but masturbating for some graphs is obviously okay. Very intelligent and progressive indeed.
P.S. I have listened 8361 for few hours. No need to m... though measurement combination included in PR is good.

Reactions: MGG

Trell

Major Contributor
This ?

Active Speakers Under US$10,000/pair:
RecommendationPSLFXAmplifiers
#1Mesanovic RTM107.6*23*250 & 250 & 100
#2GGNTKT M17.1*29*210 & 70
#3Genelec 8351B (Amir) [See 8361A]7.029250 & 150 & 150

No, this one:

1643576311049.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Discussion about ranking is not okay, but masturbating for some graphs is obviously okay. Very intelligent and progressive indeed.
P.S. I have listened 8361 for few hours. No need to m... though measurement combination included in PR is good.
I've not read the last few pages, but that person you're quoting was obviously making a light-hearted joke about just how perfect this speaker measures, and it's not like anyone is gonna faint reading it!

kimmosto

obviously making a light-hearted joke about just how perfect this speaker measures, and it's not like anyone is gonna faint reading it!
It measures very good but not perfect, though it's difficult for common member of Anti Science Review to know especially when reviewer does not publish adequate measurements or is not able make correct conclusions. For example impulse response is not impressive in approximating the ideal. Knowing what ideal IR looks would help, but main problem is that IR is difficult to understand compared to step and excess group delay.

Scholl

It measures very good but not perfect, though it's difficult for common member of Anti Science Review to know especially when reviewer does not publish adequate measurements or is not able make correct conclusions. For example impulse response is not impressive in approximating the ideal. Knowing what ideal IR looks would help, but main problem is that IR is difficult to understand compared to step and excess group delay.
You do realise the rudeness of your posts greatly undermine the message you are trying to convey, right ? Which is a shame given your very extensive knowledge in speaker design. Virtuix CAD is awesome.

Just because you have had acrimonious interactions with Amirm (like other posters) does not mean this forum is just one person, with one way of thinking. As is often the case, the most knowledgeable posters here are perfectly able to form their own opinions, and would probably love to interact with you without the aggressive undertone of your last posts. And everyone would benefit from those educated exchange.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're doing that thing that I'm very familiar with as a software engineer. The one where someone with technical expertise believes that, because they are right about some random technical point, that means everyone has to listen to them no matter how toxic and childish they are about making that point.

The problem is that you are wrong. Your technical expertise does not actually count for anything nor help anyone if you have such a poor attitude that no one is interested in listening. Btw, these days technical experts unable to control this type of attitude are not typically tolerated as they were 10 or 20 years ago. They are fired.

No one here believes the preference ratings are sacrosanct, btw. They are, however, very useful for roughly sorting the review index. An index that would be nearly useless without that sorting method. So they're not going anywhere, and when people want to fight about that in every review thread, it becomes tiresome. It doesn't accomplish anything. The *only* real way to get a better rating system would be to do new research involving blind testing of many speakers and publish a paper. But that is 100x more work and expense than posting on a forum.

If you want to convey your technical expertise politely, people will welcome that. If you would rather waste your time loudly complaining about the preference ratings every time you post, I can't stop you. But nobody cares.

kimmosto

But nobody cares.
Very good. Limited or wrong information on this forum is not much my problem or loss either because I need nothing from here. It's also fine that people all around the world enjoy Finnish products and transfer money here. So please continue to worship nice spinoramas and forget the fact that preference rating is very limited benchmark. Global brands use these previews for marketing so ASR is best to continue hiding significant negative features. Hearing is believing, and reading ASR strengthens faith.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very good. Limited or wrong information on this forum is not much my problem
No, it's not. Your tone is.
So please continue to worship nice spinoramas and forget the fact that preference rating is very limited benchmark.
He literally said:
No one here believes the preference ratings are sacrosanct
So, stop the straw-manning already!

CMB

Very good. Limited or wrong information on this forum is not much my problem or loss either because I need nothing from here. It's also fine that people all around the world enjoy Finnish products and transfer money here. So please continue to worship nice spinoramas and forget the fact that preference rating is very limited benchmark. Global brands use these previews for marketing so ASR is best to continue hiding significant negative features. Hearing is believing, and reading ASR strengthens faith.
I thought I give you a like, you sound so frustrated. Hope that helps.

Try it with kindness and politeness.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the really ironic thing about @kimmosto 's comments is that this speaker is not even the highest scoring in this forum, and has a number of 'faults' that make it score lower (mainly the sub-bass shelving on-axis and the dip at 250Hz).

@amirm still said it's the best speaker he has ever reviewed regardless of these 'faults' supporting @kimmosto 's opinion, nevertheless @kimmosoto is very vocal about Amir's alleged incompetence as a reviewer?

Yes there is something very incompetent here but i'm going to let the readers decide that for themselves.

CMB

Speaking of incompetence, I am certainly technically absolutely incompetent, so that is from the table :).

However, seing Armin quoted by Genelecs Marketing, at first I thought "cool" that is a kind of deserved consecration here.

But then I had second thoughts :

First, I don't like brands doing such partial marketing quotes, especially out of the context and incomplete.
I would have preferred to see a link to the complete review, rather a such a chosen "quote".
I don't think that reflects a professional and serious image on Genelec. It looks so cheap salesmen approach.

Then, I am convinced that Amir's/ASR approach is not intended to market Genelec products (or any others), so I don't feel comfortable to see his words used and quoted in such a marketing matter. It actually favors such wrong misinterpretations that ASR could serve any company.

But I guess, that is the price of success and a topic maybe for a different tread than this one, which should be about the magnificent 8361a :).

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@CMB IMO what Genelec quoted from Amir's (public) review is completely fair and an accurate summarization.
especially when reviewer does not publish adequate measurements or is not able make correct conclusions
Are you serious? I'm not even going to ask what you think are "adequate measurements" and "correct conclusions", because this is not the right thread for that discussion. What I will say is, the cheapest and most pathetic form of criticism is low-effort accusations like this without explaining what exactly you would do differently.

But again, this is not the thread for that discussion. I recommend you go buy a Klippel and start posting your own reviews, which would actually be productive. As the saying goes, talk is cheap -- and criticism of this kind is of the very cheapest variety (of which the internet is not in need of any more).

CMB

@CMB IMO what Genelec quoted from Amir's (public) review is completely fair and an accurate summarization.
I respect your opinion, it would be for me the most accurate summarization indeed, based on which I actually bought them myself ;-).

But that was not really my point.
Would be interesting to have actually Amirs opinion about the use of 1 of his sentences out of its detailed (public) review, for the purpose of marketing. I would have mixed-feelings.

kimmosto

What I will say is, the cheapest and most pathetic form of criticism is low-effort accusations like this without explaining what exactly you would do differently.
First attempt was about half a year ago. This forum is not really open for development. Fuses were burned so I was banned instead of any changes.
recommend you go buy a Klippel and start posting your own reviews.
Sorry but I can't and don't want to play journalist or some self-exalting judge. Many of the biggest speaker manufacturers are my clients, and I also play speaker designer in spare time so I can just hope that reviewers make better job.

P.S. My original post was about removing product ranking with frequency responses only. Shameful that some...many members don't understand how poor that is. Nothing to do with Genelec or 8361.

Reactions: MGG
Top Bottom