• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
3 clowns gave this a headless panther. Or 3 Neumann employees. If I had 10k, this would definitely be endgame for me. With a sub or 2 of course.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note that AFAIK, Amir doesn't plan to compare the Genelec 8361A vs KH420 side-by-side any more, since he shipped back the 8361A to me and hasn't gotten to the KH420 yet (understandably, he has a big queue). This doesn't mean the KH420 review isn't forthcoming; just don't expect the KH420 review's subjective portion to include a side-by-side comparison to the 8361A.

I suspect the KH420 will also sound fantastic. By the measurements, it's almost identical performance in every respect except that the KH420 has a little more upper midbass power while the 8361A has more deep bass power, and of course the Genelec being coaxial has much better vertical off-axis performance which will permit a wider range of placements and listener positions than the KH420.

I use generic RCA(m) -> XLR(m) cables to connect the analog preamp outputs from my Denon AVR-X3700H to my Genelec's, and it works great! What I was describing before was using the same cables to connect digital SPDIF RCA outputs to the Genelec digital AES/EBU XLR inputs, which also works great! Just make sure you feed the inputs into the appropriate analog vs digital XLR input into the Genelec speaker, and it should Just Work ™ :) As far as I know, Denon doesn't have any digital outputs, so just feed all the (analog) preamp outputs into the Genelec analog inputs, and you should be all good!

Same here -- these Genelec Ones are IMO the perfect LCR speakers since they're truly coaxial in every sense and allows you to use the same speaker (for Left, Center, and Right) with much greater positioning and orientation flexibility than any other product.

Yes, you will be covered :) A pair of 8361A's will be more than sufficient to fill that room with amazing power from 30-20khz. If you get lucky with room modes, depending on your placement you may even get them flat down to 20-25hz but I wouldn't bet my life on it until testing in-room. In terms of mids and treble, either the 8351 or 8361 (which use the same midrange and tweeter) are more than powerful enough for anything ever in a room that size.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the Genelecs being "old fashioned" speakers which "have to be pulled out from the front walls"? The Genelec manuals don't seem to warn against placing them near walls (in fact they seem to encourage it!), and indeed I have my 8361A's just a few inches from the rear walls -- and they sound fantastic.

Regarding stands for the 8361A, I have commented earlier that I really like simply placing the 8361A's on art exhibit pillars, which can be ordered in virtually any diameter and height. I know the Genelec Ones are aesthetically polarizing, but I personally find them quite beautiful, and on pillars look like a modern art exhibit :)

I use the same Genelec stands you mention (well technically mine are K&M, but they're the same thing just rebranded for Genelec) for my rear 8351B's and they work great, but aren't particularly beautiful or space-efficient due to the massive square base-plate (whereas I find cylindrical pillars more aesthetically pleasing and also more space-efficient -- but maybe that's just me).
Happy New Year @echopraxia

Do you know if these are solid pieces or hollow?
Looking at their cube piece for floor standing side surrounds.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The measurements of these are so impressive. I am struggling with decision fatigue about upgrading my 8030a/1092a system to either 8341/51/61s. Considering consolidating my two systems into just one. The 8361s would be on my desk, but would use GLM to have either a near-field listening setup and a mid-field on my couch. I know the 61s are maybe a bit too big for my 1.5m listening distance, but I would love to have the power on tap and the LF headroom. And to not have to get an additional GLM sub. I've enjoyed reading all the pages of the 8341/51 and 61 reviews. Thank you for measuring these.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The measurements of these are so impressive. I am struggling with decision fatigue about upgrading my 8030a/1092a system to either 8341/51/61s. Considering consolidating my two systems into just one. The 8361s would be on my desk, but would use GLM to have either a near-field listening setup and a mid-field on my couch. I know the 61s are maybe a bit too big for my 1.5m listening distance, but I would love to have the power on tap and the LF headroom. And to not have to get an additional GLM sub. I've enjoyed reading all the pages of the 8341/51 and 61 reviews. Thank you for measuring these.
Screenshot_20201031-151055.jpg

The recommended minimum distance is 70cm, so they'll work as nearfields, i would get them if i was in your situation

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you absolutely need the more compact size and don’t want really impressive SPL dynamics (e.g. as surround duty, or to fit a very tight workspace), don’t get the 8341 IMO. The 8351B has the same midrange and tweeter power as the 8361A, which makes them a much better value, more future-proof and versatile.

The 8361A honestly would make utterly incredible desktop speakers (don’t listen to anyone who says they look stupid — they’re just jealous :)) and indeed for such a configuration would truly not need a subwoofer. With my 8351B’s in home office desktop setup (back when I used them for that purpose), I still did end up wanting to add a sub to complete the experience for all content. But the 8361A’s would definitely eliminate any desire for a subwoofer in a small/medium office room IMO.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Happy New Year @echopraxia

Do you know if these are solid pieces or hollow?
Looking at their cube piece for floor standing side surrounds.
I haven’t bought them yet, but I’d be surprised if they’re not hollow for those prices. I really don’t know though.

KaLam1ty

I haven’t bought them yet, but I’d be surprised if they’re not hollow for those prices. I really don’t know though.

I was looking at those at some point and am quite certain they are hollow based on some of the customer photos - essentially a framed structure. The bottom is open and also seats around a large "puck" to keep it from tilting and moving.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you suggest me a dac / streamer for the 8361 ???
No DAC needed. Just take any streamer that you like with a digital output (coax works, but AES would be better) and connect digitally. A pi4 with any of the streamer distros and a coax Hat should work just fine. Volume control via steamer or GLM.

galanakop

No DAC needed. Just take any streamer that you like with a digital output (coax works, but AES would be better) and connect digitally. A pi4 with any of the streamer distros and a coax Hat should work just fine. Volume control via steamer or GLM.
You have to suggest a good streamer with output AES???

Unless you absolutely need the more compact size and don’t want really impressive SPL dynamics (e.g. as surround duty, or to fit a very tight workspace), don’t get the 8341 IMO. The 8351B has the same midrange and tweeter power as the 8361A, which makes them a much better value, more future-proof and versatile.

The 8361A honestly would make utterly incredible desktop speakers (don’t listen to anyone who says they look stupid — they’re just jealous :)) and indeed for such a configuration would truly not need a subwoofer. With my 8351B’s in home office desktop setup (back when I used them for that purpose), I still did end up wanting to add a sub to complete the experience for all content. But the 8361A’s would definitely eliminate any desire for a subwoofer in a small/medium office room IMO.
This is where they would go. You can see the 8030s right now. I certainly have the room on my desk for the 8351 and 8361s. Both the width and the depth. I do want to make a cardboard cutout of the 51s and 61s and see how big they are. I plan on removing the Audient interface I have now and getting the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 for USB-> AES/EBU input as well as add the GLM and wireless volume control.

Attachments

• 66295664845__D4AF1024-D5B5-427D-86D8-FA932217C2FA.jpeg
    66295664845__D4AF1024-D5B5-427D-86D8-FA932217C2FA.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 188

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
This is where they would go. You can see the 8030s right now. I certainly have the room on my desk for the 8351 and 8361s. Both the width and the depth. I do want to make a cardboard cutout of the 51s and 61s and see how big they are. I plan on removing the Audient interface I have now and getting the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 for USB-> AES/EBU input as well as add the GLM and wireless volume control.
The only thing I would want to make sure is that your desk can support the 140 pounds (63.5 kg) that two 8361s weigh. If so, that's the route I'd go. Future proof!

The only thing I would want to make sure is that your desk can support the 140 pounds (63.5 kg) that two 8361s weigh. If so, that's the route I'd go. Future proof!
Ha. So ETA. I think the 61s are going to be a bit too big. This is a cardboard cutout the size of the 51s.

Attachments

• 66328485716__B7EC2250-BF01-40C9-8FE9-36B6285F0192.jpeg
    66328485716__B7EC2250-BF01-40C9-8FE9-36B6285F0192.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 238

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha. So ETA. I think the 61s are going to be a bit too big. This is a cardboard cutout the size of the 51s.
I honestly think 8351B are perfect desktop speakers. The 8361A would be perfect too, if they don’t collapse your desk :) The 8351B are definitely more manageable in size and weight, and technically slightly superior sound quality (on paper at least). You really can’t go wrong with either.

Top Bottom