• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 26 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 574 94.4%

• Total voters

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their speakers may be assembled there but many of their drivers are mAnufactured in China.
Keith
I’ve read quite a bit about this company sustainability and I doubt very much anything in a Genelec comes from China. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I think the 8000 series drivers are outsourced and Ones drivers are made in house
The 8000 drivers are custom made for Genelec by Tymphany. They have better motors than the peerless HDS drivers they share the shassie with. The ones drivers are made in the factory.
Read more about Tymphany here :

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their speakers may be assembled there but many of their drivers are mAnufactured in China.
To be clear, this is not true for the Ones. The drivers for the 83X1 series are made in-house.

Not that there is anything wrong with parts coming from China. I'm sure they aren't making their PCBs in-house from raw sand either :p It's really at final assembly and testing/QA where quality of manufacture is assured.

They can move the production to China and make the products more affordable(not that I support it)

Why would it drive down prices? Prices are about market fit, not manufacturing costs. Kef actives are made in China, and most likely to a lower standard. Are their active speakers way cheaper than Genelec? Nope. The LS60 is $3500/ea, the LS50 II is $1400/ea and it's a 2-way! You'd maybe get prices lower by 20% or something. That wouldn't change the market for the speakers at all because no one is saying "ah yes I can afford $4K per speaker but not $5K!!!"

Pearljam5000

Major Contributor
To be clear, this is not true for the Ones. The drivers for the 83X1 series are made in-house.

Not that there is anything wrong with parts coming from China. I'm sure they aren't making their PCBs in-house from raw sand either :p It's really at final assembly and testing/QA where quality of manufacture is assured.

Why would it drive down prices? Prices are about market fit, not manufacturing costs. Kef actives are made in China, and most likely to a lower standard. Are their active speakers way cheaper than Genelec? Nope. The LS60 is $3500/ea, the LS50 II is $1400/ea and it's a 2-way! You'd maybe get prices lower by 20% or something. That wouldn't change the market for the speakers at all because no one is saying "ah yes I can afford $4K per speaker but not $5K!!!"
Actually that 20% is critical for someone like me and could mean i could buy them or not buy anything at all :)
But yeah i agree with you in general.

Descartes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
“For me, multi-channel audio is the most enjoyable way to experience music, and I'll listen this way whenever I can. I feel like it's impossible to go back entirely to stereo after you've heard a decent multi-channel system!”
Cool set up!
The only thing that was surprising were the cables in that article!, why waist money in these pseudo science cables?

“For me, multi-channel audio is the most enjoyable way to experience music, and I'll listen this way whenever I can. I feel like it's impossible to go back entirely to stereo after you've heard a decent multi-channel system!”

I agree 100%

My dream room as a home theater

Last edited:

Georgios

Just a little anecdote…a good friend of mine came over tonight to hear my ‘61s. He has a pair of Heresy III’s at home he listen to music on. After hearing the ‘61s play some music he was familiar with, he was speechless for a minute, then he said “Well, there’s two instruments in that song I didn’t even know were there..” True story, lol.
Thats very tempting but it shouldnt be deciding factor to be perfect speakers. For music listening, there are some other important things like non-fatigue, instrument reality etc. I myself am inclined but hesitant to choose 8361.

807Recordings

Thats very tempting but it shouldnt be deciding factor to be perfect speakers. For music listening, there are some other important things like non-fatigue, instrument reality etc. I myself am inclined but hesitant to choose 8361.
Frequency deviations can certainly push out elements in a mix/song/track that had not previously been heard before. ;-)
More often I find monitors that are accurate to be closer in details than huge differences.

RobL

Have you had an opportunity to hear a pair of them, or any of the Ones series?

Top Bottom