• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 639 94.2%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe we can take bets on whether something will surpass them this decade.
I mean how could anything surpass them? If we're talking about the desired objectives being anechoic flat and good horizontal & vertical directivity. Ok, I mean the speaker that would surpass them would have to go flat down to 20Hz and would have more power than this speaker with lower distortion at 96dB and maybe even at higher SPL - so I think it's just bass extension and even higher SPL whilst retaining low distortion that would beat these.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I mean how could anything surpass them? If we're talking about the desired objectives being anechoic flat and good horizontal & vertical directivity. Ok, I mean the speaker that would surpass them would have to go flat down to 20Hz and would have more power than this speaker with lower distortion at 96dB and maybe even at higher SPL - so I think it's just bass extension and even higher SPL whilst retaining low distortion that would beat these.
Maybe they will add subs like on D&D 8C
8c-back-scaled.jpg

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe they will add subs like on D&D 8CView attachment 244643
With my current understanding, I don't really see any downsides of integrating a sub into a speaker (I mean it would make it 3 or 4 way (is there a 4-way speaker!)) - and it would increase the weight & size substantially if you were talking high SPL and low distortion at those deepest notes - I mean you only have to look at how heavy and large subs are that hit 20Hz at high SPL. Ok, so the downsides are size & weight! (price comes along for the ride)

EDIT: ok, the one other problem of incorporating sub into the speaker is that bass management is less flexible as sub positioning is fixed to the position of your speaker.

EDIT#2: maybe it's not so optimal having your speakers play down to 20Hz then??!!

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
mean how could anything surpass them?
A version of the Ones with built-in cardioid bass capability(rather than only available via the W371A) would be better. But that would require a significant redesign and re-tooling of their manufacturing so it probably won't happen for a very long time, if ever.

The more realistic hope is that they do a smaller version of the W371A that is at least somewhat cheaper.

aland

A version of the Ones with built-in cardioid bass capability(rather than only available via the W371A) would be better. But that would require a significant redesign and re-tooling of their manufacturing so it probably won't happen for a very long time, if ever.

The more realistic hope is that they do a smaller version of the W371A that is at least somewhat cheaper.
It will probably be difficult to make it smaller and at the same time compatible with 51 and 61 speakers. In that case it would be designed for the 31 and maybe 41?
I believe that you need the current size to get the volume and impact of the sound that 51 and 61 requires.

DubbyMcDubs

@amirm when you tested these speakers, did you connect them via the digital or analog inputs?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It will probably be difficult to make it smaller and at the same time compatible with 51 and 61 speakers. In that case it would be designed for the 31 and maybe 41?
I believe that you need the current size to get the volume and impact of the sound that 51 and 61 requires.
Yep I was at a point wishing for this. Then I realized how much bass you need to power a typical open plan layout.

What’s funny is while i normally don’t listen in the car, I played some music, wow even tiny speakers give so much bass impact. The whole seat shakes. Cars really are a place for cheap and easy impact. But not accuracy.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would be nice if Genelec opened up to the hi-end market. No, I'm not kidding. They could make something like the 1236A, but with a friendlier look - not necessarily WAF, just generally a more "homey" look.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be nice if Genelec opened up to the hi-end market. No, I'm not kidding. They could make something like the 1236A, but with a friendlier look - not necessarily WAF, just generally a more "homey" look.
I think they may be starting to realize the market potential.

Newman

Major Contributor
Could certainly be smoother 200-4000Hz. Not much, but a bit.

Same performance for cheaper would certainly 'surpass' them. This is certainly do-able by making a speaker with exactly the same capability above 80 Hz, but not below, and designed for use with subs.

And Floyd Toole says it would be desirable for speakers to have variable directivity. OK so it's difficult, but it's a direction for further progress.

cheers

Axo1989

Major Contributor

If you stack everything vertically, reduce the width to just what you need for the waveguides/drivers and increase the depth to make up the volume, you end up with something like Focal Grande Utopia for the 1236A (with one of the bass drivers at the top) or Maestro Utopia for the 1234A.

Alternately, build 8361A and W371 into a single package and take advantage of the bass control options. Either approach would make an interesting high-end offering. I reckon Harri Koskinen could pull off some appropriate industrial design with an upscale materials budget.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those W371 are really expensive for basically being a Monoprice SUB in a taller box with a small computer in it. They should be around 2500 a piece.
Oh yeah? Which monoprice sub plays cleanly without breakup to 500hz?

DubbyMcDubs

Those W371 are really expensive for basically being a Monoprice SUB in a taller box with a small computer in it. They should be around 2500 a piece.

I agree they are overpriced but that comparison is silly.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could certainly be smoother 200-4000Hz. Not much, but a bit.

Same performance for cheaper would certainly 'surpass' them. This is certainly do-able by making a speaker with exactly the same capability above 80 Hz, but not below, and designed for use with subs.

And Floyd Toole says it would be desirable for speakers to have variable directivity. OK so it's difficult, but it's a direction for further progress.

cheers
True about the price, in terms of theoretical speakers that could surpass this one! Do you know what Toole meant exactly by "variable directivity"? My understanding is that smooth & wide directivity both vertically & horizontally is optimal according to their research, as seen in this speaker.

Newman

Major Contributor
Do you know what Toole meant exactly by "variable directivity"?
He meant user-variable.

My understanding is that smooth & wide directivity both vertically & horizontally is optimal according to their research, as seen in this speaker.
Correct. But it could still be adjustable. To allow for different room reflectance, or size, or speaker placement; also for using the same speaker for different program material eg 2CH and MCH; also to allow for many recording engineers being much more sensitive to reflections/spaciousness than 'ordinary folk' and making mixes too dead. In a normally-reflective home environment one could adjust the directivity to suit the situation.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He meant user-variable.

Correct. But it could still be adjustable. To allow for different room reflectance, or size, or speaker placement; also for using the same speaker for different program material eg 2CH and MCH; also to allow for many recording engineers being much more sensitive to reflections/spaciousness than 'ordinary folk' and making mixes too dead. In a normally-reflective home environment one could adjust the directivity to suit the situation.
Ah, I roughly see what you mean - well as you said, that does sound like a complicated thing to achieve in a speaker, sounds like it would involve actually changing shape of waveguides and other physical aspects of the speaker construction that influences the "wave front" if that's the right term, so the speaker would have to change it's physical shape in those areas at the users command (to be variable), I would think?

Newman

Major Contributor
Yep, it’s a ‘speaker of the future’ development area. Perhaps swappable waveguides and tuneable ‘D&D-style’ cardioid vents for woofers…

I was just listing a few areas in answer to your question “how could anything surpass them?”

Top Bottom