• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review and Measurements (Video)

Azathoth

How different is it to go from high-end headphones to speakers? I just wonder how would a pair of these would sound...

Moonhead

A English producer once told me that the only thing that made him forget” his HD800 was when he got a pair of 3way active speakers.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How different is it to go from high-end headphones to speakers? I just wonder how would a pair of these would sound...
Even the best of the best headphones can't compete with the cheapest ASR recommended speaker with a dirt cheap class D amp when played back in a non reverberant room. While the Sennheiser HD800S does a great job with PRTF simulation, it's still not enough to recreate what happens to the sound waves bouncing around in the room, hitting your face, ear structure, and ear canal. A ton of research goes into HRTF and PRTF, and still, it's just a rough simulation of what we experience. No one even entirely understands how open back headphones give us the wider sound field. Amir has speculated that group delay in the midrange and treble may contribute to an open soundstage, and rtings speculates that it's a specific frequency response in their Passive Soundstage Testing. Both are probably correct, but it's not entirely solved and settled. A lot of what we see in both cases, is data from the dummy head's that is used for testing.

If you're asking how these will sound, well, you should be able to get 99% of the way there for much cheaper with a Kali IN-5, two subwoofers, and a DSP with room correction. Though, it may actually be better, since a subwoofer almost always benefits from proper room placement, which you cant do with the woofers on these 8361's. You may be able to go to a guitar center or other music shop and find the Kali's to try out. It's easier than finding these genelec's unless you're near a big city.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I recently had a subwoofer die and sending the 32 lb sub in for service was over $80 insured for full value. And UPS damaged (punctured with something) it and I'll be waiting a long time for the claim investigation.

I can't imagine what 70 lbs and $5000 insurance would cost and how long do you think spare parts will be around?

But I've had spare parts problems. I had an Onkyo AVR receiver only a few years old with no spare parts available...had to throw it out.

lherrm

Regarding the spare parts : https://www.genelec.com/product-warranty-lifetime

1643198964313.png

Hapo

...this is the first time amirm has sounded like a shill...LoL...

...the difference here is that he has measurements to back up is glowing subjective review...

.... FWIW this review has me reconsidering some priorities...

Top Bottom