• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review and Measurements (Video)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I'm always struggeling to read all the measurements in the correct way and to decide the quality of a speaker/component from the measurements because the measurements are never perfect. A video helps because the measurements are explained.

So thanks to Armir for taking the time to make a video!

By the way, it's nice to see Armir so excited about the reviewed component, I think the only other time that ever happened was the Dan Clark Stealth headphone.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Technically, speakers like this wipe the floor with established favourites on the domestic scene, but as with many pro models, it's very difficult to get to hear a pair at a dealers. I heard the Kii Three's and loved them (I mentioned before how they sounded almost 'sweet' in tone, totally dismissing pre-conceived ideas about 'Class D' amp modules based on now antiquated examples!), so if these Genelecs are at least as good, I think it's tragic the domestic market won't get more exposure to them except forums like this one - get a domestic dealer involved and the price will nearly double with the dealer margins required, so it's horses for courses here.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any way to separately measure the DAC and amp components of the speaker? In particular, it would be neat to see how the measured performance of its amplification stacks up.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
More teaching videos where you explain and demonstrate specific performance tests and measurements. Open your brain and let us mortals peek inside @amirm. We promise not to touch anything, I swear it! ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any way to separately measure the DAC and amp components of the speaker? In particular, it would be neat to see how the measured performance of its amplification stacks up.
Disassembling the active speaker makes the test not as the system type test that @amirm endeavors to perform. The DSP in the speaker changes the amplifier output as it has been calibrated for the driver used in the speaker. If Amir was to use a 4Ω or 8Ω load resister instead of the speaker driver then the test results would not be accurate because the driver and the load resister are very different.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another active speaker with very good measured performance was found to have an amplifier with a 75 to 80 db SINAD and a DSP which operated at 48 khz. Stand alone electronics can measure much better, but the difference is either inaudible or barely audible. Speakers have orders of magnitude more distortion than the best electronics and the same may be said for ambient noise. Don't get caught up in the numbers game.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Disassembling the active speaker makes the test not as the system type test that @amirm endeavors to perform. The DSP in the speaker changes the amplifier output as it has been calibrated for the driver used in the speaker. If Amir was to use a 4Ω or 8Ω load resister instead of the speaker driver then the test results would not be accurate because the driver and the load resister are very different.
I didn’t say to disassemble the speaker. Rather, I was wondering if there would be a way to test the noise and distortion performance of the amplifier and/or DAC.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another active speaker with very good measured performance was found to have an amplifier with a 75 to 80 db SINAD and a DSP which operated at 48 khz. Stand alone electronics can measure much better, but the difference is either inaudible or barely audible. Speakers have orders of magnitude more distortion than the best electronics and the same may be said for ambient noise. Don't get caught up in the numbers game.
I am not caught up in the numbers game, but I am curious as to how the electronics perform vis a vis the current state of the art.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not caught up in the numbers game, but I am curious as to how the electronics perform vis a vis the current state of the art.
The answer is probably not that good.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good enough, judging by the final result :) What it's suprising to me is that if you try to buy a 1000 W mono amplifier you get a thing that weights the same as the whole speaker here.
If it has a linear power supply it will weigh a lot. Crown XLS amplifiers can be bridged and put out insane wattage. They will not break your back.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ron, I know you use XLS. What is your everyday experience compared to AB?
I haven't had an AB amp in a while and I bought the XLS when my AB amp was failing. It's sighted, subjective, but I thought the XLS was a bit dry sounding compared to my last AB. I'm happy with the XLS and especially it's high pass filter. Remember, differences in speakers are gross compared to electronics.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've got really bad news guys... I couldn't convince the wife to get 3x of these end game speakers. I guess I'll live life with my paltry jbl 590's corrected with audyssey.

On a serious note, I really wonder how far off I am. I still really want to see the 590 on a Klippel even if you can generally see that it will be decent based on the Australian hifi article on the 590's and asr's 530 review.

Top Bottom