• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361 speaker stands

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Eventually. I have only listened to them a little bit. Have not set up GLM yet. I don't have a music source other than the TV hooked up to them at the moment. I wasn't planning on getting these, but I found a black pair that was in stock, and I was afraid that Genelec might increase prices like everyone else has. I thought that I couldn't do any better than these and decided to get them. Unfortunately, they are too ugly to be in our main living room so they are in a spare bedroom right now.
Lol
I kind of like their design, they look different than anything else.

Trell

Major Contributor
I own the K&M 26795 which are the same as the 26791 except have a much more reasonable minimum height setting (look into the 26791 height range before you buy and make sure the speakers when placed on them will have a good tweeter height.

The stands are extremely stable. They are the least top-heavy stands I’ve ever seen. I have only used them with my 8351’s so far, where their stability almost feels like excessive overkill. But I’m sure the 8361s would be quite sufficiently stable on them. I doubt you’ll find a more stable stand out there.

The least stable part of the whole thing is how the speakers ”attach” to the mount plate: they don’t latch on in any way but the feet have holes that sit on pegs in the stand plate. It works fairly well, but with nothing else securing them I would worry about the speakers toppling off the stand plate before the stand itself topples over. So to be extra secure you may want to use blu-tack, or even just some twisty ties to strongly secure each foot to the stand plate.

Is it possible to rotate the top plate horizontally as I would angle the monitors at the MLP but want the foot of the stand to be aligned with the wall? Having the foot rotating along with the speaker would make it the corners stick more into the room.

Do you have a typo in your post as to which stand is the shortest? From K&M specs the 26791 has a minimum height of 644 mm while the 26795 has a minimum height of 794 mm.

jhenderson0107

Is it possible to rotate the top plate horizontally as I would angle the monitors at the MLP but want the foot of the stand to be aligned with the wall? Having the foot rotating along with the speaker would make it the corners stick more into the room.

Do you have a typo in your post as to which stand is the shortest? From K&M specs the 26791 has a minimum height of 644 mm while the 26795 has a minimum height of 794 mm.

I have the 26791 stands with Genelec 8260-450B speaker plates in my home theater. There is no provision to rotate the top plate or adjustable height pole to 'toe-in' the monitors to the MLP, so the entire stand must rotate. The minimum height of the 26791's is indeed shorter than the 26795 stands.

Trell

Major Contributor
I have the 26791 stands with Genelec 8260-450B speaker plates in my home theater. There is no provision to rotate the top plate or adjustable height pole to 'toe-in' the monitors to the MLP, so the entire stand must rotate. The minimum height of the 26791's is indeed shorter than the 26795 stands.

Thanks! I'm considering buying the 8361A for my living room (doubles as home theatre) and as they are heavy a proper stand is needed. Possibly I could drill an extra hole in the adjustable height pole to compensate for the toe-in while still not have any bearing weight problems for the 8361A.

jhenderson0107

Thanks! I'm considering buying the 8361A for my living room (doubles as home theatre) and as they are heavy a proper stand is needed. Possibly I could drill an extra hole in the adjustable height pole to compensate for the toe-in while still not have any bearing weight problems for the 8361A.
The poles are thick, powder coated steel. But by progressively stepping up through the appropriate bit sizes, it should be possible to drill the necessary holes.

I have an 8361 center channel and ordered two more for L/R in my home theater.

73hadd

Forum Donor
Just to close this out in case somebody has the question in the future. The stands are amazing. They are very solid and I have no concerns about tipping over in any realistic scenario. The base plate is bigger than I envisioned, and the post is very substantial -- pictures make the stands look less substantial than they are. Even the "nubs" that the isopod rests on are about ¾" in diameter. Overall they are really nice. Thanks to all who answered above. For the record, I got the shorter stands and they are almost in the lowest possible setting (about 28" high which puts the tweeters at about 40" or so. Will fine tune it but mentioning this because @echopraxia had a great suggestion to get the shorter stand.
Thanks for the report! As noted later, the 26791 is shorter, and is the one you have, correct? I think I am also aiming for 40" tweeter height.

644-1044mm
25" to 41"

794-1344mm
31" to 53"

(plus roughly 12" from bottom of pod to tweeter)

Last edited:
OP
HooStat

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the report! As noted later, the 26791 is shorter, and is the one you have, correct? I think I am also aiming for 40" tweeter height.

644-1044mm
25" to 41"

794-1344mm
31" to 53"

(plus roughly 12" from bottom of pod to tweeter)
Yes. I have the 26791 which seems plenty for home use (sitting on a normal sofa or chair).

Odorb

The poles are thick, powder coated steel. But by progressively stepping up through the appropriate bit sizes, it should be possible to drill the necessary holes.

I have an 8361 center channel and ordered two more for L/R in my home theater.
I was thinking of doing a gradual upgrade to genelec speakers, possibly starting with the 8361a center. Is that what you did? Is it something you'd recommend, say, if I needed only a center speaker at the moment?

Last edited:

oijoijoi

I'm demoing 8361s soonish and I'm not sure if they will fit on my old stands.
What is the size of the Iso-Pad where the speakers sit on?

Trell

Major Contributor
I'm demoing 8361s soonish and I'm not sure if they will fit on my old stands.
What is the size of the Iso-Pad where the speakers sit on?
Go to the Genelec homepage and download manuals and drawings for the monitor, and read.

oijoijoi

Go to the Genelec homepage and download manuals and drawings for the monitor, and read.
I only found the measurements of the speaker (with and without the Iso-Pad) but didn't find what measurements of the Iso-Pad hence asking.

Trell

Major Contributor
I only found the measurements of the speaker (with and without the Iso-Pad) but didn't find what measurements of the Iso-Pad hence asking.
If you really need the specific details I recommend emailing Genelec support. In my experience they are very responsive.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
10.25" x 9" is what my 8260 monitors are, which are very similar size wise to the 8361.

Note: The pods are widest at the rear which is where I measured.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes this is what I noticed. The number ending with “1” is the shorter stand. The number ending with “5” is the taller one. Also the shorter one is slightly less expensive.

For an even lower price use the Genelec version:

S360-415B

Still slight over $1000 for the stands and plates.

Last edited:
Top Bottom