• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361 speaker stands

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was looking at the recommended speaker stands for the Genelec 8361. Given that the speakers weigh 70 pounds (32 kg) each, it concerns me to use the recommended stands. The stands are 16 kg each with a load capacity of 70 kg. My concern is that the speaker-stand combination might be a bit too top-heavy. It may be that the base is wide enough that there is no concern. I realize that they have been designed for the 8361, but we do live in California and earthquakes, while rare, are a potential issue. So if anyone has experience with the 8260 or 8361 or similar on these stands, can you comment on the stability? @stevenswall -- is this what you use for your 8260?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Have you thought about wall mounting?

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the K&M 26795 which are the same as the 26791 except have a much more reasonable minimum height setting (look into the 26791 height range before you buy and make sure the speakers when placed on them will have a good tweeter height.

The stands are extremely stable. They are the least top-heavy stands I’ve ever seen. I have only used them with my 8351’s so far, where their stability almost feels like excessive overkill. But I’m sure the 8361s would be quite sufficiently stable on them. I doubt you’ll find a more stable stand out there.

The least stable part of the whole thing is how the speakers ”attach” to the mount plate: they don’t latch on in any way but the feet have holes that sit on pegs in the stand plate. It works fairly well, but with nothing else securing them I would worry about the speakers toppling off the stand plate before the stand itself topples over. So to be extra secure you may want to use blu-tack, or even just some twisty ties to strongly secure each foot to the stand plate.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With that said, I personally am actually thinking to go a different direction with the 8361’s: minimalist dark gray stone column pedestals (the kind used for art displays)! I think it‘ll look really great, in addition to being very stable.

And, you can get them in any diameter and height. Supports up to 200lbs.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

I own the stands. They most definitely are not top heavy. They work great.
Just to be clear, I am not worried that the stands themselves are top heavy. It is a 70 pound speaker on the stands that might make it top heavy. But you have the 8361, right? So the speakers mounted to the stands are very stable?

OP
HooStat

HooStat

I own the K&M 26795 which are the same as the 26791 except have a much more reasonable minimum height setting (look into the 26791 height range before you buy and make sure the speakers when placed on them will have a good tweeter height.

The stands are extremely stable. They are the least top-heavy stands I’ve ever seen. I have only used them with my 8351’s so far, where their stability almost feels like excessive overkill. But I’m sure the 8361s would be quite sufficiently stable on them. I doubt you’ll find a more stable stand out there.

The least stable part of the whole thing is how the speakers ”attach” to the mount plate: they don’t latch on in any way but the feet have holes that sit on pegs in the stand plate. It works fairly well, but with nothing else securing them I would worry about the speakers toppling off the stand plate before the stand itself topples over. So to be extra secure you may want to use blu-tack, or even just some twisty ties to strongly secure each foot to the stand plate.
OK. That mounting bothers me a bit. I was hoping they bolted to the stands. Maybe @Tonygeno or you could share a pic? No problem if it is too much trouble.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

With that said, I personally am actually thinking to go a different direction with the 8361’s: minimalist dark gray stone column pedestals (the kind used for art displays)! I think it‘ll look really great, in addition to being very stable.

And, you can get them in any diameter and height. Supports up to 200lbs.
Very cool.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I was looking at the recommended speaker stands for the Genelec 8361. Given that the speakers weigh 70 pounds (32 kg) each, it concerns me to use the recommended stands. The stands are 16 kg each with a load capacity of 70 kg. My concern is that the speaker-stand combination might be a bit too top-heavy. It may be that the base is wide enough that there is no concern. I realize that they have been designed for the 8361, but we do live in California and earthquakes, while rare, are a potential issue. So if anyone has experience with the 8260 or 8361 or similar on these stands, can you comment on the stability? @stevenswall -- is this what you use for your 8260?
Where are the sound impressions? ;)

OP
HooStat

HooStat

@echopraxia -- you are correct that the 26795 is shorter and better for my application. I only need about 28" to 30" height. And you are correct that Thomann is much cheaper. But what I can't tell is whether I need an adapter for the Genelec base plate. Do you recall whether it just bolted to the stand? See this set of instructions where it gives all of the connection options.

Interesting that Thomann can't actually sell me the Genelec base plate. Very frustrating. Seems like special order for everyone in the US to get these things.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@echopraxia -- you are correct that the 26795 is shorter and better for my application. I only need about 28" to 30" height. And you are correct that Thomann is much cheaper. But what I can't tell is whether I need an adapter for the Genelec base plate. Do you recall whether it just bolted to the stand? See this set of instructions where it gives all of the connection options.

Interesting that Thomann can't actually sell me the Genelec base plate. Very frustrating. Seems like special order for everyone in the US to get these things.
No extra parts or tools or adaptors are needed: The stand plates bolt directly to the top of the stands.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, I use these stands with my 8260 monitors. They feel very sturdy and the bottom plate is quite heavy so I have no worries of them tipping over.

Earthquake wise, if it was synced with the wobble of the stands and was causing a small tilt I imagine it could swing them back and forth enough to topple them but that seems like a possibility with anything besides wall or ceiling mounting which itself has risks with heavy speakers like the 8x6x.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Now I just have to find the base plates in the US. I am frustrated that Thomann can't sell me Genelec plates because I am in the US. It is a $60 item that isn't in stock anywhere in the US. And in the US it is a $160 item. At least I can get the right stands.

samysound

Now I just have to find the base plates in the US. I am frustrated that Thomann can't sell me Genelec plates because I am in the US. It is a $60 item that isn't in stock anywhere in the US. And in the US it is a $160 item. At least I can get the right stands.
what about custom sound anchor 4-post stands? they could probably make you a top plate that attaches to the wall mount holes on the back of the 8361 for extra stability.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Just to close this out in case somebody has the question in the future. The stands are amazing. They are very solid and I have no concerns about tipping over in any realistic scenario. The base plate is bigger than I envisioned, and the post is very substantial -- pictures make the stands look less substantial than they are. Even the "nubs" that the isopod rests on are about ¾" in diameter. Overall they are really nice. Thanks to all who answered above. For the record, I got the shorter stands and they are almost in the lowest possible setting (about 28" high which puts the tweeters at about 40" or so. Will fine tune it but mentioning this because @echopraxia had a great suggestion to get the shorter stand.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Just to close this out in case somebody has the question in the future. The stands are amazing. They are very solid and I have no concerns about tipping over in any realistic scenario. The base plate is bigger than I envisioned, and the post is very substantial -- pictures make the stands look less substantial than they are. Even the "nubs" that the isopod rests on are about ¾" in diameter. Overall they are really nice. Thanks to all who answered above. For the record, I got the shorter stands and they are almost in the lowest possible setting (about 28" high which puts the tweeters at about 40" or so. Will fine tune it but mentioning this because @echopraxia had a great suggestion to get the shorter stand.
Are you going to post a review? of the monitors not the stands ;)

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Eventually. I have only listened to them a little bit. Have not set up GLM yet. I don't have a music source other than the TV hooked up to them at the moment. I wasn't planning on getting these, but I found a black pair that was in stock, and I was afraid that Genelec might increase prices like everyone else has. I thought that I couldn't do any better than these and decided to get them. Unfortunately, they are too ugly to be in our main living room so they are in a spare bedroom right now.

Top Bottom