• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351b with 2x 7370 vs Sopra No2 vs Atc 50 ASL

galanakop

I would like your opinion on 3 speakers and what would be the differences between them.
On the one hand the genelec 8351b together with 2x 7370 and on the other the sopra No 2 and also the third option the ATC 50 ASL
The space / living room is about 45 m2 (5X8)
The listening position is about 3 meters
I understand that they are different speakers, but I would like your objective view on what I will hear from these 3 cases.
In money I cover all 3 cases including the extras that will be needed in the case of the passive Sopra no 2

OP
G

galanakop

[QUOTE = "Senior NEET Engineer, post: 803503, member: 12256"] Δεν μπόρεσα να πάρω καλά μπάσα με το Genelecs [/ QUOTE]
the genelec will be with 2 x 7370. Have you tried them together with the subwoofers ???

Berlin

Well, I became an ATC fanboy. I am pretty happy with the midranges of my ATC SCM 11s and SCM 40s. The active 50s would probably provide to much energy for my room (approx. 55 m2 in total, listening area in this room is approx. 28 m2). However, would like to try them in my room...;)

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I would like your opinion on 3 speakers and what would be the differences between them.
On the one hand the genelec 8351b together with 2x 7370 and on the other the sopra No 2 and also the third option the ATC 50 ASL
The space / living room is about 45 m2 (5X8)
The listening position is about 3 meters
I understand that they are different speakers, but I would like your objective view on what I will hear from these 3 cases.
In money I cover all 3 cases including the extras that will be needed in the case of the passive Sopra no 2
I recommend ATC but i have not heard the others the SCM40 passive has enough bass for me and is more balanced the 50 asl is overkill. Since it is higher priced i would look in to more correct low frequency response with multiple subs and the atc40.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The ATCs ( we had the active 50’s) are still a pretty solid speaker, but they aren’t adjustable, you can only shuffle them backward and forward and they are a little coloured by contemporary standards.
I feel the after having the 8351B’s here they they are essentially a near field speaker, and three metres may be just too faraway to enjoy a truly immersive sound.
I would try a more modern active design than the ATCs.
Keith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know the OP ask for specific speakers. Allow me to suggest a different path because of the projected budget and medium-far field listening position:
Dutch and Dutch 8C ...
or
Kii Three

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I know the OP ask for specific speakers. Allow me to suggest a different path because of the projected budget and medium-far field listening position:
Dutch and Dutch 8C ...
or
Kii Three
The Kii Three has an unnatural sort of piercing high frequency response and it sounded like it was trying too hard in high spl where the ATC gives the impression of playing effortless.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Kii Three has an unnatural sort of piercing high frequency response and it sounded like it was trying too hard in high spl where the ATC gives the impression of playing effortless.
No
Keith

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How many days did you have them in your room to thoroughly compare?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
How many days did you have them in your room to thoroughly compare?
I heard them in a dealer room and my impression was that. I actually liked a much cheaper Focal 948 which i listened after that better. But eventually i like the ATC midrange detail better which i bought.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard them in a dealer room and my impression was that. I actually liked a much cheaper Focal 948 which i listened after that better. But eventually i like the ATC midrange detail better which i bought.
I think Keith's experience carries most weight then, 1095 days at home versus a listen in a dealer is a slam dunk I'm afraid.

Edit, I was a bit mischievous here I did know Keith owned both and had them both in his listening room at the same time, sorry.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I think Keith's experience carries most weight then, 1095 days at home versus a listen in a dealer is a slam dunk I'm afraid.

Edit, I was a bit mischievous here I did know Keith owned both and had them both in his listening room at the same time, sorry.
He is also a dealer for them...

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The Genelecs are better in this exact configuration (two sizeable subwoofers that work with GLM) but as others said, D&D shouldn't be ignored. Kii isn't bad, but I wonder if you can easily integrate them with normal subwoofers.
Might also consider ME Geithain if you're in Europe.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Honestly, it depends what you're after.

The ATCs are good speakers, and they get loud as nuts before running out of steam (or even sounding audibly distorted, for that matter), but their low end extension for their size is pretty not great - and this is a running theme amongst all ATCs (ATC themselves admit this, quoting an F6 of 38hz but roll-off starts at 70!). They are more than likely less even in terms of directivity than the Genelecs, but that's no surprise. They do waveguide load the midrange and tweeter, however, so it's likely not too too bad. The other thing to note is that ATC's plate amps have a very long track record of being seemingly indestructible - I've never heard of a failure.

The Genelecs are going to behave more like a point source - the boxes are smaller, plus the coaxial mid/tweeter loaded in an essentially front baffle-sized waveguide will do that. They also extend notably lower. However they do not behave themselves nearly as well at high volumes - Genelec uses a very aggressive limiter for driver protection and they will kick in earlier than expected. I agree with Keith that these are primarily a near-field monitor system and not really a good choice for 10 feet back.

Focals are generally wider dispersion than most because of their tweeter design (the inverted dome for whatever reason is extremely wide). This can sound quite bright in room. However I would take their low end extension with a few grains of salt. Focal's F3 is generally quite optimistic - just for example, the Shape 65 is quoted as an F3 of 40hz but in 3rd party tests it ends up being more like an F6 of 42hz, which is considerably different. The W cones are remarkably good with regard to distortion, staying around 1% below 100hz even at 96dB/1m anechoic. Keep in mind however that these do need amps, unlike the other two.

At this kind of budget I would look into the D&D 8Cs as well.

If you don't care about studio looks I agree with @flowjm that the KH420s should be considered. They have very even directivity horizontally and extend remarkably low.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
However they do not behave themselves nearly as well at high volumes - Genelec uses a very aggressive limiter for driver protection and they will kick in earlier than expected. I agree with Keith that these are primarily a near-field monitor system and not really a good choice for 10 feet back.
With subwoofers, it is doubtful that there is a problem at all. The 8361A (exactly the same coaxial unit as the 8351B) can go extremely loud as per S&R (too bad there's no detail on for the THD) and Amir's review of the 8351B shows < 0.6% H3 after 100 Hz at 96 dB; though there's a "worrying amount" (0.6%) of H5 in the 140~200 Hz area; if only Amir did test 106 dB with a subwoofer like high pass filter for speakers that are worthy of this...

Top Bottom