• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B vs Mesanovic RTM10 - AB Test Preparation

OP
Jason K

Jason K

Strange, I would have expected the greater LF directivity of the 8351B in horizontal orientation to matter, even if a little bit.
Did you mean vertical?
The horizontal directivity of 8351B is not more controlled than vertical directivity.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The graph is LR Vector averaged, 1/24 smoothing.
My strategy is correct the FR curve until 200Hz,
And the target curve is (as i remember) 0.7db / oct slope. It’s result that I can get after tried many times to find natural balance in that room.
Thank you again (my personal preferred room correction strategy is very similar).

OP
Jason K

Jason K

Thank you again (my personal preferred room correction strategy is very similar).

After enjoying the appreciation in a room with a floor area of about 15m2 for a long time, it was quite difficult to adjust the in-room curve after moving to more than twice the size.

What I've tried is to allow reinforcement interference occurring in the nearby wall (room gain), but I only allowed in 1 cycle.

after estimating the amount of room gain each Hz within 1 cycle by the IR Window(REW's tool), I followed them and inferred the appropriate slope.

YSC

Major Contributor
Sounds like genelec has some competition. Did you run the GLM room for this test?
Competition is always great! (When can it become mass affordable like the 80x0 series:p)

Hephaestus

Really like the fact that it's sealed and gives you sub 20Hz bass in room. That puts it a tier above the 8351b imo as a full range speaker(or monitor). Here in the US, it's also cheaper than the Genelec. The Genelec should be the better near field monitor/speaker, though.

Yeah, these comparisons are fun but the speakers in question have different design goals. 8351B is a true near field monitor and RTM10 is a mid field monitor. Those small race track drivers cannot compete with 10” woofer for sure.

I have noticed that the bigger mid field monitors tend to work way better in living rooms than their near field cousins. Typical listening distances seem to vary anywhere between 2.5 to 4 meters in most living rooms - simply too much to ask from small speakers :)

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yeah, these comparisons are fun but the speakers in question have different design goals. 8351B is a true near field monitor and RTM10 is a mid field monitor. Those small race track drivers cannot compete with 10” woofer for sure.

I have noticed that the bigger mid field monitors tend to work way better in living rooms than their near field cousins. Typical listening distances seem to vary anywhere between 2.5 to 4 meters in most living rooms - simply too much to ask from small speakers :)
So true, we had some of the smaller PSI monitors here and they were good close up but three metres just asked too much of them, the 8260/7270 worked fine here.
Keith

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I will say they work excellent for me at 3 meterish, but I'm in a multichannel setup and crossing over to multiple subs at 100Hz. For fullrange use, I'd choose something different.

ferrellms

The parts are proprietary and the company could go broke, or the suppliers could go broke. It's one of the main reasons a lot of people are wary of high end active speakers. If you have a pair of expensive passive speakers and your amplifier goes bad, you can always buy another one.
But of course, active speakers have many more benefits - and Genelecs last for decades according to recording studios.

ferrellms

check their websites - mesanovic recommend less than 8 feet listening distance, Genlec less than 7 feet, both want an equilateral triangle - these are both near to mid field studio monitors - not living room speakers

but they may sound good in the living room!

Hmast

Too bad the Gens were not tested and measured with their subwoofer which can be perfectly integrated thanks to GLM. Bass distortion would have been interested to compare against the RTM10.

Top Bottom