• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351b vs 8361a

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Because of a not ideal placement near a wall and one speaker in a corner i have to turn the bass of the g fives down 4 and 6db. And still i have a lot of good bass down to 30-35 hz. If i have left the dip-switches on neutral the bass would be to much. Thats why im a bit concerned about to much bass. I have never used GLM so i dont know how much i can lower the low frequencies of the 8361a.
I know, not ideal placement.. But that is what i have to work with :)
This is 100% to be expected when not calibrated (bloated bass when placed near walls) due to boundary reinforcement, and yes GLM solves this (and does so without you needing to teach yourself an expert-level understanding of DSP and room acoustics).

Okey, thanks! Yes i dont want to use subwoofers. So it is possible to ‘tame’ the bass of the 8361a as good as with the smaller 8351b to avoid too much bass with GLM? Im leaning a bit to the bigger model.
As mentioned above, thanks to the DSP capabilities of these speakers, you will never have “too much bass”, as long as you use GLM to calibrate them. GLM will automatically calibrate them to a flat in-room response, and then you can then then the overall curve via the “sound character profiler” to dial in the bass and treble to your particular tastes.

The 8361A doesn’t even sound that much different in terms of extension than the 8351B’s (though they do extend a bit deeper). They just have so much more headroom in bass that you can that much easier tune the bass to perfection, and effortlessly reach loud SPLs without the limiter kicking in.

If as you say you don’t want to use a subwoofer, then I would say definitely get the 8361A over the 8351B — I don’t think you’ll be disappointed :) However in a small room and moderate levels, the 8351B still sounds fantastic even without a sub. But the 8361A is definitely a far better candidate for the title “full range”. I believe my pair of 8361A’s is actually capable of much more powerful bass (at any frequency) than my 7360 subwoofer!

Last edited:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
Also a very good audio system from the 70s, 80s or 90s is still good today while you don't want to have today a TV from back then today, meaning Hifi is a better long term investment compared to almost all other consumer electronics. :cool:
Not an investment, not a need either just a new toy and a want! Please send me a pair of two ;)

Top Bottom