• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Teardown (2nd Disassembled)

seashell

Knowing what it meant, I have used it a number of times in talking. But had never written it down before. The act of writing it made me realize that the vowel arrangement seemed odd. But, in this case: apparently there is no other word in the English language that has the vowels in the correct sequence. If that is true, then the word facetious is, in fact, unique. (a much over used word that means that there is only one of whatever it is referencing. Many seem to think that a series of identical somethings are unique. They are not, because there is more than 1 identical thing that creates a series of them)
There are other words with the vowels in order. Just not in common use. https://www.lexico.com/explore/words-with-all-five-vowels-in-order

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are other words with the vowels in order. Just not in common use. https://www.lexico.com/explore/words-with-all-five-vowels-in-order
Cool to know. abstentious 'abstinent' as well as the rare botanical and zoological terms acheilous 'having one or both lips absent', anemious 'growing in windy situations', caesious 'bluish or greyish green', and annelidous 'belonging to the phylum Annelida'.
As you say, not common: Because:
abstinent covers abstentious, I see no real use for it.
Annemious: I definitely have a use for.
Acheilous I don't think that I have ever needed that one but could be useful, I suppose.
Caesious I could have (and now likely will) be used to describe a car color that I have seen.
Annelidios: I'll have to ask at work if we have any of this type of worm (I work on a 634 acre historic site that has a lot of damp, moist areas that incudes fresh water ponds & salt water creeks).
Thank you for helping me expand my vocabulary.

Last edited:

auraluxstudio

Didn’t deter me.

BD708665-7D86-49B5-8ABB-54D58B3AB828.jpeg

Frgirard

Major Contributor
English is not my first language, so I had to look up anorak. A person (like me) who lives in a place that doesn't go below 73 F (22.77 C) has no need to know this word. However, if the anorak I chose to use if I were in a cold place looked OK visually & did it's function of keeping me warm OK, I wouldn't be checking the threads in between the inside & outside of an anorak for color integrity. The same with a speaker, if the outside was visibly damaged (discoloration, mar, ding, etc then there is a problem that would require a fix. But if it looks good & performs good, I am not in the habit of taking speakers apart to see if anything is wrong when it works fine. Now, if it is out of warranty I may take it apart just to look inside or to modify it. But if it is functioning fine & there are no external signs of an issue and it does what it is supposed to (meeting it's manufacturers specs) no, I am not taking it apart just to look. I do take many things apart that are in warranty (car engines, transmissions & the like) because I am going to modify them for durability, more RPM, more power, better fuel economy, better emissions (yes, if the customer wants to spend the money they can have all five of these better) and more. But not just to check the fit of things. Unless something is going wrong & the reason that it is going wrong is not obvious.
I also don't find a Genelec to be a luxury product. It is a studio monitor (admittedly a damn good one). But there is nothing luxury about it.
Perhaps you are only being facetious:
the only word in the English language that uses all of the vowels in the correct order.
Money makes you lose your mind

auraluxstudio

Money makes you lose your mind

Exactly. Look at Jeff Bezos, who is launching dicks into space. Both figuratively and literally. Blowing ridiculous amounts of money with ZERO benefit or regard for the poor.

807Recordings

They are both equally as good. Just slightly different. Perfect for doing A/B comparisons when mixing and mastering.
I have had the Gens and Neu 310s on my short list for my next monitors. Very small space and currently using the JBL 305 with their subs. I hear some short points on the JBL's such as compression when mixing down and of course that slight hiss. Biggest thing I notice is the compression. Often when working on parts I can have the levels pretty loud on a single part to sort of dive in and check a kick and a bassline (as an example) but the limiter may come on and make decision making on a compressor difficult. At least compared to my big JBL SVA 2100s. Sure for the price they are a revelation but you know there is better :)
Interested in your perception on the two.

auraluxstudio

I have had the Gens and Neu 310s on my short list for my next monitors. Very small space and currently using the JBL 305 with their subs. I hear some short points on the JBL's such as compression when mixing down and of course that slight hiss. Biggest thing I notice is the compression. Often when working on parts I can have the levels pretty loud on a single part to sort of dive in and check a kick and a bassline (as an example) but the limiter may come on and make decision making on a compressor difficult. At least compared to my big JBL SVA 2100s. Sure for the price they are a revelation but you know there is better :)
Interested in your perception on the two.
I am running my 310/8351B system with a pair of Rythmik subs and controlled with two miniDSP SHD's for total control over the crossovers and even further refining with either the internal DSP room correction or using Dirac. ZERO complaints. I have a +-2 dB in room mix position response from 20 Hz-20 kHz. Doesn't get any better!

807Recordings

I am running my 310/8351B system with a pair of Rythmik subs and controlled with two miniDSP SHD's for total control over the crossovers and even further refining with either the internal DSP room correction or using Dirac. ZERO complaints. I have a +-2 dB in room mix position response from 20 Hz-20 kHz. Doesn't get any better!
I am guessing you also have the decay times all sorted in the room also. But one isn't better I take it?

807Recordings

My room was designed and set up by an acoustician, yes. I wouldn't say one was better than another, no. Different window into the sound, but not better or worse.
THX, appreciate the reply as there is a good difference in price between the two. Also I meant it as a compliment that you have a good room so it does help. Also good to know on the sub side :)

CosmicDancer

제목 없음.png

제목 없음2.png

English is not my first language.

I have a 'symmetry obsessive complementary disorder', and I feel very uncomfortable that the GENELEC'S Coxial Twitter-mid 'PROTECTIVE GRILL' is not vertical.
In the meantime, I saw the possibility that the Twitter grill could be vertically aligned by disassembling the cover of Coxial, aligning it vertically, and then covering the cover again.

Is it possible?

Last edited:

lherrm

View attachment 192814

View attachment 192816

English is not my first language.

I have a 'symmetry obsessive complementary disorder', and I feel very uncomfortable that the GENELEC'S Coxial Twitter-mid 'PROTECTIVE GRILL' is not vertical.
In the meantime, I saw the possibility that the Twitter grill could be vertically aligned by disassembling the cover of Coxial, aligning it vertically, and then covering the cover again.

Is it possible?
I don’t know about this.
But what about the led on the left and the logo at the bottom ?

CosmicDancer

I don’t know about this.
But what about the led on the left and the logo at the bottom ?
Confirmed that LED can be turned off.

I'm going to turn off the lights and put stickers on the LED and symmetrical positions. If I decide to use this for the rest of my life, I'm also thinking of removing the LED and blocking it with putty.
제목 없음3.png

Top Bottom