• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Teardown (2nd Disassembled)

dfuller

Major Contributor
You said you have a reason to prefer ATC but Genelec has the same reason. Why do you prefer ATC then? Do you like wood?
Ultimately it's a sonic preference, I don't like the way Genelec bass sounds at least on the 80/83 series 2-ways.

Lilith

Ultimately it's a sonic preference, I don't like the way Genelec bass sounds at least on the 80/83 series 2-ways.

How does it sound e.g. compared to the KH120?

dfuller

Major Contributor
How does it sound e.g. compared to the KH120?
I haven't listened to a KH120 in years, but if memory serves they're a little less "one note" than the equivalent size Genelec? Like I said, been a hot second since I listened to a pair.

YSC

Major Contributor
Not easy to tell from these not-very-hi-res images I found but the top and bottom parts of the racetrack driver look smoother but not perfectly smooth. Not to be confused with cracks is the line along the top which is actually the black glue that joins the paper to the rubber (I say that now just in case somebody mentions it). Again, a nice hi-res pic from Genelec themselves would be tons better.

The gentleman in the image — a Genelec rep — has no problem showing a large image of the LF driver to a crowd, but for some reason it's not ok to show it here.

View attachment 166171
View attachment 166166
I literally facepalm on this

1)even in that photo taking a ppt screenshot I still can remotely see those textures on the driver side that annoyed you

2) don’t act like a child, it’s stated by them a long while ago that they won’t do what you whined about, so be a grown up, leave it or take it. It’s a free world you are always free to just feel they done bad on this and you don’t want to buy on that or even ask your friends not to, but what’s the point of keeping all these crusade in a forum? At least start the crusade on the Genelec forum ok?

For the last argument it's like... I saw The Rock showing his multi million dollar home and cars on some interview, if he's ok to let the media to go inside and take all those filming, why can't I ask him to take a close up shot of that drawer at the back his bedroom for my school newspaper to know him better and let me make sure he really like ____ fiction? (As a joke, no offense, just in the millionth chance that the Rock is one of forum members)

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Now It’s done?
Er I think so.

The most amazing part is the crusader here seems more concerned about the driver look than the owner (you), I just wondered why he didn't ask you are there the holes or broken off paper in the driver cone

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Er I think so.

The most amazing part is the crusader here seems more concerned about the driver look than the owner (you), I just wondered why he didn't ask you are there the holes or broken off paper in the driver cone

Don't give him more pictures, you saw what he did with the one lol.

OP
Jason K

Jason K

Er I think so.

I believe Genelec’s durability and QC(but often dissappointed from cosmetic issue).

I checked more pictures that I took, but there are not any tearing or hole at the surround.
Only some wrinkles on paper cone.

With 8351B’s High order HPF and poweramp protection, I think the bass driver will not to be broken easily.

YSC

Major Contributor
I believe Genelec’s durability and QC(but often dissappointed from cosmetic issue).

I checked more pictures that I took, but there are not any tearing or hole at the surround.
Only some wrinkles on paper cone.

With 8351B’s High order HPF and poweramp protection, I think the bass driver will not to be broken easily.
Joke aside I think for the wrinkles it might look bad on photo, but in real life it’s easy to identify whether it is looking like a tearing product or it’s just stamping result and this you’re not worried when you saw it. I am more wondered about did you try re calibrate the speaker after reassemble it and does anything seems off?

OP
Jason K

Jason K

Joke aside I think for the wrinkles it might look bad on photo, but in real life it’s easy to identify whether it is looking like a tearing product or it’s just stamping result and this you’re not worried when you saw it. I am more wondered about did you try re calibrate the speaker after reassemble it and does anything seems off?
First time I reassembled it, A screw didn’t joint tightly So the turbulance noise occured at the amp part.

But after several times tried,
I could know how to reassemble well.

I always check my system with REW and Earthworks M30 omni mic.
I didn’t found any differenece.
BUT I don’t recommende to do it. It’s little hard to dis/reassemble.
Someday I want to send the drivers to Erin to measure with Klippel Haha.

auraluxstudio

This looks terrible!

0E06D0B0-F06C-46FF-AD41-4AD837B9B673.jpeg

Reactions: trl
Top Bottom