• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Did Amir increase the resolution of the NFS over the past year since he measured the 8341A? Why does the response of the 8351B look not as smooth as that of the 8341A? Just by looking at the graphs, the 8351B's w/sub score might be lower than the 8341A's w/sub score.

Edit: I guess he did. 700 measurement points vs 1000 points.
We now have the w/sub scores.
From @pierre
8351B w/sub: 8.3 (vertical), 8.4 (horizontal)
8341A w/sub: 8.5 (vertical)
From @MZKM
8.4 for both

I was right!

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Based on Genelec's own measurements, I always thought the 8351B would measure better than this. Now I am surprised at the NFS results. Maybe Amir got the golden sample for 8341A and Genelec got that for the 8351B? ;)
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 7.40.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 7.39.27 AM.png

Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No doubt these are awesome, but what does Floyd Toole say about a point source versus a tower or array? How to incorporate the ability to double SPL instantaneously (starting at "loud") for dynamics. Again, our scoring system falls short in predicting preference.

Well preference assumes performance at the same listening levels. The Salon2 also has very much wider directivity than the genelecs. Not sure what effect that'll have on height but no doubt they will sound more expansive. Toole often suggests most people prefer wider directivity, although that doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Just different.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
which Genelec subs did you pair with?
The ones I could afford the 7350's. Their subs are kind of expensive. I wanted the 7360 but I tried the smaller one and so far in my room and listening level the 50's are sufficient. I cross them at 85hz and they take enough work off the low end of the 8351 for me.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Salon 2 quickly showed its difference in taller image that was not so focused and centered as the Genelec. This of course could be an optical illusion of the Genelec pulling your eye toward its tweeter. Still, I stand by this observation. :) The other thing that stood out was that the highs were more prominent in Salon 2 bringing more realism to high frequency notes. The Genelec sounded subdued in this front. Perhaps there is some peaking in my Salon 2 (have not measured it yet).

To drive the point home of how much wider the Salon2's directivity is compared to the 8351B, here's how they compare at 60 degrees horizontal. The Salon2 is the dashed line (Salon2 measurements traced from soundstage network):

8351B vs Salon2.png

At this angle, the Salon 2 shows roughly 3-5 dB more energy for 1kHz to 8kHz, where most of our impression of soundstage width happens. That means your sidewall reflections are going to be roughly 4dB louder. That's a huge difference so it is absolutely going to sound wider and less focused in one spot.

Of course, different measurement sources so we'll see once Amir measured the Salon2

Sprint

Forum Donor
The ones I could afford the 7350's. Their subs are kind of expensive. I wanted the 7360 but I tried the smaller one and so far in my room and listening level the 50's are sufficient. I cross them at 85hz and they take enough work off the low end of the 8351 for me.

Great to know! How big is your room and what is your listening distance? I am thinking of Genelecs subs as well in my living room. I was in a discussion with Genelec rep and he proposed that a pair of 7360 will be sufficient which is a 10" sub whereas I already have a pair of 12" SVS sub. He felt that 7360 with GLM integration to my 8340's will have a better resolution than a non GLM sub even though it is bigger. I still have time to decide. I may at the end retain one of my SVS sub and a pair of Genelec sub to get the GLM integration.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has someone compared the 8350 to the 8351b? Half the price, and max SPL of 8350 is 121 dB instead of 113 dB:

8050 has max SPL of 120 dB but more bass distortion, if I read Amir's review well.

Sprint

Forum Donor
Has somone compared the 8350 to the 8351b? Half the price, and max SPL of 8350 is 121 dB instead of 113 dB:

I have AB compared 8350 vs 8350A in a recording shop. 8351A had a better resolution due to its co-axial design. If someone has the budget 8351a was superior but 8350 was quite close. At the end I would have gone for 8350 and be very happy with it.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have AB compared 8350 vs 8350A in a recording shop. 8351A had a better resolution due to its co-axial design. If someone has the budget 8351a was superior but 8350 was quite close. At the end I would have gone for 8350 and be very happy with it.
Thank you. What do you mean by better resolution? More highs, more mids? Do you remember if there was a difference in the stereo presentation?

Sprint

Forum Donor
Thank you. What do you mean by better resolution? More highs, more mids? Do you remember if there was a difference in the stereo presentation?

more mids. From a percentage, between 10-20 % with more separation on instruments. unfortunately, I did not test stereo. I only did AB of mono speakers. I did a AB with immediate switching controller between Neuman KH 310 Vs 8351A Vs 8350. My preference was 8351A > 8350 > KH310. I loved the Genelecs sound.

Sprint

Forum Donor
My room is 18'x14' listening distance 8'. I listen at moderate levels only stereo no HT.
my room size is similar from the listening area but bit extended to dining on one end. my listening distance is 11'. Did you try non GLM subs with 8351 in your room?

paulraphael

For the Salon 2 comparison, it would be interesting to hear this Genelec matched with the W371 woofer system. I believe that would push them into around the same price class.

Can someone please send a system to Amir, along with a forklift?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe Erin asked him that in his video, and I believe he responded with he doesn’t know.
This is kind of amazing. As a speaker manufacturer covering bookshelves, towers, line arrays, etc., you'd think the topic might have come up in conversations. Same for bookshelves+subs.

Daiyama

These are only the A version, so a couple of dB short compared to the B version, but still quite capable even in my room with a ceiling height of 3,8m. Ok, no rock concert levels, but for me loud enough, especially in my near field setting of 1,6m stereo triangle. It is a very lean/clean full range (goes down to 27 Hz) system.
k9foEaT.jpg

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
These are only the A version, so a couple of dB short compared to the B version, but still quite capable even in my room with a ceiling height of 3,8m. Ok, no rock concert levels, but for me loud enough, especially in my near field setting of 1,6m stereo triangle. It is a very lean/clean full range (goes down to 27 Hz) system.
k9foEaT.jpg
Very nice cabinet! Where did you find this one?

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is up with the poor CSD below 500Hz?

The decay behavior is comparable to that of the Genelec 8341A loudspeaker - identical in design. You can find a detailed review of that decay behavior here.

I fear you’ll have a even smaller soundstage on the Directiva project developed by Rick & Ctrl:
Sound Power DI of 5dB at 650Hz and 9dB at 4500Hz...
But I‘m hoping their calculation is wrong, can’t believe that it is right, the Purifi woofer is not that directional, here is the SPK5 (Purifi plays up to like 3000Hz if I recall)

So as not to fill this thread with off-topic stuff, I did a comparison of the Purifi-Celuaris versus the Directiva-Custom in the Directiva thread

Top Bottom