• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

Kervel

Forum Donor
I have studied your photo of the listening setup and have determined the problem.
There appears to be a dark, horizontally oriented density hovering at the MLP that is absorbing both light and sound and likely causing suckouts.
Probably needs some cable lifters to remove that veil

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have studied your photo of the listening setup and have determined the problem.
There appears to be a dark, horizontally oriented density hovering at the MLP that is absorbing both light and sound and likely causing suckouts.
I knew those folks at CERN were gonna be destabilising the universe!

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here it is:

As you can see the desk is quite large and comb filter will occur.
Hence my 2 options: setting the speakers high on the wall or desk stands + getting a narrow desk (but I'll miss the working space).
At the very least, I’d get them raised up off the desk top. Have you read through Genelec’s placement guide?

Hmast

Well, to be honest the difference is outstanding when setting the speakers ~12cm higher.
I didn't even want to run another GLM calibration as I was enjoying the new sound so much.

However, I did a new report for curiosity:
1674847001480.png

All I can say is wow! As a reminder the first colomn was amber (right) and red (left). Now it's near perfect. But as you can see I still have a bit of early reflexions so... I tried with foam on the desk to reduce the comb filtering even more.

Here are the results:

1674847235114.png

I think I can stop tweaking, the results are awesome.
I still have that amber in the bass region, Actually I don't really feel the 60hz dip. When I'm bored I'll try to move the sub and see if I can improve in that area.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Well, to be honest the difference is outstanding when setting the speakers ~12cm higher.
I didn't even want to run another GLM calibration as I was enjoying the new sound so much.

However, I did a new report for curiosity:
View attachment 260445
All I can say is wow! As a reminder the first colomn was amber (right) and red (left). Now it's near perfect. But as you can see I still have a bit of early reflexions so... I tried with foam on the desk to reduce the comb filtering even more.

Here are the results:

View attachment 260449

I think I can stop tweaking, the results are awesome.
I still have that amber in the bass region, Actually I don't really feel the 60hz dip. When I'm bored I'll try to move the sub and see if I can improve in that area.
I'm surprised the PSIs are as good because they're much cheaper and only a 2-way

Hmast

I'm surprised the PSIs are as good because they're much cheaper and only a 2-way
Well, now the 8351B are higher on the desk and I canceled the comb filtering I can honestly say it sounds better than my PSIs. But it's not a universe of difference. Stereo image is outstanding on both speakers.

However, the bass department is not comparable. The PSI are not able to cope, but as you say it's not the same size, number of ways and price so it's not surprising.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Pearljam5000
Emphasis is mine
and those are my reactions:

"Because" and "only" .... !!! ??? !!! SERIOUSLY
You have been here long enough, to have been proven that price is not indicative of performance or ..
that 3-way is NOT automatically superior to 2-way
but ...
:(
Come on Man!

Peace

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
@Pearljam5000
Emphasis is mine
and those are my reactions:

"Because" and "only" .... !!! ??? !!! SERIOUSLY
You have been here long enough, to have been proven that price is not indicative of performance or ..
that 3-ways is NOT automatically superior to 2-way
but ...
:(
Come on Man!

Peace
Yes but I would still expect state of the art, 3-way coaxial design with DSP to sound better than an "old" analog 2-way traditional that's also way cheaper.

Hmast

Also, having "small" speakers with "shorten bass" tends to flatter the medium/treble. This is at least my experience. So sometimes 2 ways speakers tend to have a better image than 3 ways because of that.

Trell

Major Contributor
View attachment 260465View attachment 260466
This guy on Reddit is using his 8351B with a $10K DAC

I bought the Genelec 7350A subwoofer to my wife for her desktop system to avoid some deep nulls/valleys and not because it's a bass monster or something (it's not). I would love to have the 7370 subwoofer my 2.1 desktop but its too big so I have to endure with the 7360 that fits.

Here it is: Life is hard and then you die! :D

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Hmast

I bought the Genelec 7350A subwoofer to my wife for her desktop system to avoid some deep nulls/valleys and not because it's a bass monster or something (it's not). I would love to have the 7370 subwoofer my 2.1 desktop but its too big so I have to endure with the 7360 that fits.

Here it is: Life is hard and then you die! :D
My 7360A currently sits in a 12m² room in a corner. It's flat down to 16hz and I have no issue with SPL/power.
7370 is sexy but looks overkill to me :D I guess this kind of sub should sit in at least 25m² unless you're looking for ultra low / inaudible distortion below 40hz.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking of selling kidney
It's my only hope to afford them lol
I know, I always associate you with the one that obsesses over the 8351b, ha! No, but for good reason. What've you got now for speakers?

Top Bottom