• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A Samsung Galaxy 22 Ultra
Ha, ok, so you're a headphone guy looking for his first speakers? I'm sure you've talked about listening to speakers in the past? If it's your first speakers you can get some good ones for a lower price, would be the best move for first speakers.
He is in the: I dunno mode! :D
Ha, yes, I remember that too!

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Ha, ok, so you're a headphone guy looking for his first speakers? I'm sure you've talked about listening to speakers in the past? If it's your first speakers you can get some good ones for a lower price, would be the best move for first speakers.

Ha, yes, I remember that too!
Actually I moved from HD800 and headphones in general to speakers
And the closest i got to that sound were the Genelecs
And I'm obsessing on the 8361B now lol.
Anyways eventually I will get them but Becaue they cost more than my car it's going to take some time

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyways eventually I will get them but Becaue they cost more than my car it's going to take some time
I see, but you said you don't own any speakers? You've demoed the Genelecs and some other brands somewhere instead then? Fair enough, but if they're gonna be your first speakers I'd go with a more affordable pair, perhaps from another brand....just something to consider.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I see, but you said you don't own any speakers? You've demoed the Genelecs and some other brands somewhere instead then? Fair enough, but if they're gonna be your first speakers I'd go with a more affordable pair, perhaps from another brand....just something to consider.
I heard pretty much most studio monitors so I found "my sound "
I can't listen to other speakers now
They sound colored and congested
And a high end hifi system that would sound like the Genelecs i assume would cost even more

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Kali is the only company I'd consider to be a good starting point that retains many of the advantages of the Genelecs but to a lesser extent. (DSP correction, coaxial driver, even response.)

I went from a HiVi DIY 3.1 at $300 to a pair of Genlec 8260 monitors at $5000 used.... I'd probably have stopped on that path when I heard the IN-8 if the original models didn't have notable hiss... Or maybe the Devialet Phantom which was excellent nearfield and just lacked good connectivity options.

Ultimately I'm glad I saved for three or four years to start on the Genelec path because now I love surround sound and from what I can see there are ZERO competitors in that space.

Kii, Dutch & Dutch, Revel, JBL, Focal, etc. don't seem to have the mounting options, flexible placement with coaxial drivers, or versatile center channels like The Ones in various sizes that are so incredibly flexible with their mounting options and horizontal or vertical placement.

I'd like to hear a surround sound system based on Devialet Phantoms though. See how it compares. Too bad it's hard to talk to them about their "custom" versions that have better inputs for commercial installs and surround sound.

Hmast

8361A ;) Bs aren’t planned (yet).

Hmast

I love my 8351B so much I'm checking cheaper speakers yet SAM compatible for back channels and play 4.1 sound (center speaker for PC setup seems hard to place + with 8351B perfect stereo image it already feels like there is a center speaker :D

Maybe 2x832030 (20s don't have AES input) will be fine for surround effects... these channel don't usually convey bass information.

With these speakers I guess I only have to go from the PC digital out to the sub's AES input, from the sub to one speaker in its AES input, then to that speaker to the other one in its AES input, etc.? Connecting the speakers in a series. Then GLM will do the rest... (sounds too simple to be true).

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard pretty much most studio monitors so I found "my sound "
I can't listen to other speakers now
They sound colored and congested
And a high end hifi system that would sound like the Genelecs i assume would cost even more
The thing is though, the room you listen to them in and how they've been setup in terms of placement, room correction (etc) makes a massive difference to the experience - so really for you to compare different monitors they would have been in the same optimised environment. I know from my own experience that placement and room correction can make a massive difference. The 8351B's will be an excellent choice, but I don't think they're a necessity, and not as a first speaker especially if you're having to scrimp & save for them.
Kali is the only company I'd consider to be a good starting point that retains many of the advantages of the Genelecs but to a lesser extent. (DSP correction, coaxial driver, even response.)

I went from a HiVi DIY 3.1 at $300 to a pair of Genlec 8260 monitors at $5000 used.... I'd probably have stopped on that path when I heard the IN-8 if the original models didn't have notable hiss... Or maybe the Devialet Phantom which was excellent nearfield and just lacked good connectivity options.

Ultimately I'm glad I saved for three or four years to start on the Genelec path because now I love surround sound and from what I can see there are ZERO competitors in that space.

Kii, Dutch & Dutch, Revel, JBL, Focal, etc. don't seem to have the mounting options, flexible placement with coaxial drivers, or versatile center channels like The Ones in various sizes that are so incredibly flexible with their mounting options and horizontal or vertical placement.

I'd like to hear a surround sound system based on Devialet Phantoms though. See how it compares. Too bad it's hard to talk to them about their "custom" versions that have better inputs for commercial installs and surround sound.
No doubt in my mind that Genelec's are excellent from the measurements!

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor

Care to share details about your specific setup?

Descartes

Major Contributor
…..Ultimately I'm glad I saved for three or four years to start on the Genelec path because now I love surround sound and from what I can see there are ZERO competitors in that space.

Yes I have seen some really good setups but never heard them unfortunately!
I heard them at CEDIA a few years ago and they were very good. The issue is that their customer service in the US is to be desired. The only way you can do a surround sound system with them is through a dealer and have a processor that can do DANTE!
They don’t want customers to do they own plug and play!!!

Olius

I love my 8351B so much I'm checking cheaper speakers yet SAM compatible for back channels and play 4.1 sound (center speaker for PC setup seems hard to place + with 8351B perfect stereo image it already feels like there is a center speaker :D

Maybe 2x832030 (20s don't have AES input) will be fine for surround effects... these channel don't usually convey bass information.

With these speakers I guess I only have to go from the PC digital out to the sub's AES input, from the sub to one speaker in its AES input, then to that speaker to the other one in its AES input, etc.? Connecting the speakers in a series. Then GLM will do the rest... (sounds too simple to be true).

A little too simple to be true I'm afraid. The version of AES that Genelec uses (AES3) supports up to two channels which means you can only connect two speakers in a series. So in order to do more channels than stereo you'll need an audio interface with more than one AES output.

Hmast

Aouch. It's good to know, thanks. hopefully this kind of interface is not too expensive...

Would you have any example of interfaces able to cope with 5.1+ sound with AES3 outputs? In this case would AES3 outputs deal with front channels at once + back channels at once + one for 2 subs at once, etc.? In this case one output would deal with only the central channel?

Last edited:

Olius

Aouch. It's good to know, thanks. hopefully this kind of interface is not too expensive...

Would you have any example of interfaces able to cope with 5.1+ sound with AES3 outputs? In this case would AES3 outputs deal with front channels at once + back channels at once + one for 2 subs at once, etc.? In this case one output would deal with only the central channel?
I did a quick search and it seems like if you want to do 4.1 the Motu 8D seems like a "low cost" alternative for that, as it has two AES3 outputs. I realised though that if you connect the subwoofer and the two front speakers with AES(1-2) and the two rear channels to AES(3-4) the subwoofer won't know what's going on with the two rear channels. It seems like you need the Genelec 9301A AES/EBU Multichannel Interface in order to make their subwoofers work in multichannel. It receives all AES/EBU channels coming out of your interface and gives them to the sub before sending them on to your speakers. Works with up to 7.1.

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Care to share details about your specific setup?

8260 Genelec monitors for Left and Right channels. If a stereo "purist" wants to listen they can still hear impressive bass with their 10" woofers, and the sub integrates so well it's hard for people to realize it's on since it doesn't sound like a separate system. Got it used for about half the price of new.

8351B Genelec monitor for the center channel, got it a few weeks ago on a demo deal. This is replacing a Kali IN-8 V2 that was previously being used as a center channel. Hard to tilt the Kali without the Isopod, and the placement compensation isn't as good as the Genelec. While it did sound good most of the time, if I leaned back a bit it seemed like there was more of a floor bounce causing a null making things sound a little off.

7271 Genelec woofer with dual 12" drivers for the LFE and bass management, corner loaded to give it an easier time and plenty of overhead. Picked it up used for half off.

IN-5 Kali monitors for left and right surround, these are working well though I'm looking at replacing them with Genelec monitors to take care of the volume controls and to make them a bit more accurate as they are right up against the wall to save room in my living room.

IN-8 Kali monitor for the center surround, (6.1 system currently) that plays the audio from the rear surround channels. Didn't think it would make much of a difference, but having something right behind you definitely adds another dimension to things.

8331 Genelec monitor is arriving today, also a demo deal, going to replace the rear IN-8 surround, at which point I'll move the IN-8 and another to replace the IN-5 monitors, and use the IN-5 monitors at my standing desk upstairs until I can afford a pair of 3-way Phantoms.

DP564 Dolby decoder is being used for the ability to simultaneously output both digital and analog signals for 7.1 which allows me to use the Genelec monitors digitally and the Kali's with analog outputs.

Source material is an Apple TV hooked up to a 77" OLED. Audio goes through an optical cable and I believe is only about 640kbps, which could be considered a weak point. Planning on a JBL SDP55 for the Dante output, or maybe the Arvus UDMA that can match the Dolby unit with outputs and doesn't seem as complicated/potentially wretched as the JBL unit. I wish there was a "Genelec" of surround sound processors, because relative to Genelec they all seem like busted nightmares.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
8260 Genelec monitors for Left and Right channels. If a stereo "purist" wants to listen they can still hear impressive bass with their 10" woofers, and the sub integrates so well it's hard for people to realize it's on since it doesn't sound like a separate system. Got it used for about half the price of new.

8351B Genelec monitor for the center channel, got it a few weeks ago on a demo deal. This is replacing a Kali IN-8 V2 that was previously being used as a center channel. Hard to tilt the Kali without the Isopod, and the placement compensation isn't as good as the Genelec. While it did sound good most of the time, if I leaned back a bit it seemed like there was more of a floor bounce causing a null making things sound a little off.

7271 Genelec woofer with dual 12" drivers for the LFE and bass management, corner loaded to give it an easier time and plenty of overhead. Picked it up used for half off.

IN-5 Kali monitors for left and right surround, these are working well though I'm looking at replacing them with Genelec monitors to take care of the volume controls and to make them a bit more accurate as they are right up against the wall to save room in my living room.

IN-8 Kali monitor for the center surround, (6.1 system currently) that plays the audio from the rear surround channels. Didn't think it would make much of a difference, but having something right behind you definitely adds another dimension to things.

8331 Genelec monitor is arriving today, also a demo deal, going to replace the rear IN-8 surround, at which point I'll move the IN-8 and another to replace the IN-5 monitors, and use the IN-5 monitors at my standing desk upstairs until I can afford a pair of 3-way Phantoms.

DP564 Dolby decoder is being used for the ability to simultaneously output both digital and analog signals for 7.1 which allows me to use the Genelec monitors digitally and the Kali's with analog outputs.

Source material is an Apple TV hooked up to a 77" OLED. Audio goes through an optical cable and I believe is only about 640kbps, which could be considered a weak point. Planning on a JBL SDP55 for the Dante output, or maybe the Arvus UDMA that can match the Dolby unit with outputs and doesn't seem as complicated/potentially wretched as the JBL unit. I wish there was a "Genelec" of surround sound processors, because relative to Genelec they all seem like busted nightmares.
Any comparison of 8260 and 8351B? Thanks

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any comparison of 8260 and 8351B? Thanks
Haven't tried to A/B them. Don't think I have the right equipment to, and Genelec would have smaller differences than any other brand I know of besides bass extension and volume.

Get the 8260 if you want something that goes a little deeper and aren't going to get a sub.

What do you think the easiest way would be for me to compare them? Should have an 8331 tomorrow and I'm curious if a roommate can tell the difference between it and the 8351B when both are in Mono and have the bass cut off around 60hz.

Hmast

Do you know if a freq response graph is available for the whole group?

At that point in GLM, I only have access to the response graph of each element.

I wish I had a view over the global response of the 2 speakers + sub.

Hmast

Hi, my speakers are calibrated using GLM.

I tried to change the max level (rotary control was set to the max -6dBu) at the back of the speaker tonight because I don't need that much power and that would reduce the hiss from the tweeter. I noticed moving the rotary control doesn't change anything, it seems disabled. So I guess GLM has taken over all physical controls at the back of the speaker. I even tried the physical -10db and -20db switches and they don't do anything.

Do you know how I can reduce the amp power with the same effect on the hiss as it would with the physical rotary control at the back of the speaker but with GLM?

Or must I reset the speakers, change the level and do a calibration again?

Trell

Major Contributor
Hi, my speakers are calibrated using GLM.

I tried to change the max level (rotary control was set to the max -6dBu) at the back of the speaker tonight because I don't need that much power and that would reduce the hiss from the tweeter. I noticed moving the rotary control doesn't change anything, it seems disabled. So I guess GLM has taken over all physical controls at the back of the speaker. I even tried the physical -10db and -20db switches and they don't do anything.

Do you know how I can reduce the amp power with the same effect on the hiss as it would with the physical rotary control at the back of the speaker but with GLM?

Or must I reset the speakers, change the level and do a calibration again?
Setting the volume level with GLM is the same as changing the input sensitivity, assuming you’re using analogue input. For my 8330A I have reduced the volume using GLM thus having a little less hiss with overall volume set by my DAC. You should also set the startup volume as well in GLM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom