• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DAAAAANG I didn't expect -3dB below 29hz that's AWESOME and with the advantage of GLM plus summing 2x 61's well well well suddenly this truly is a full range speaker
You can generally expect that, if you are putting your speakers near a wall(and you should be, if you are using EQ, because it's easy to adjust any undesired boost), the anechoic -6dB point will be 0dB in-room. My 8351Bs(w/o subs) measure flat to 30hz in-room, which is even a little bit lower than their official -6dB point of 32hz. This of course applies to any speaker though not just Genelecs.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
DAAAAANG I didn't expect -3dB below 29hz that's AWESOME and with the advantage of GLM plus summing 2x 61's well well well suddenly this truly is a full range speaker
CE576B0C-197F-4FF2-9624-E825B43B3E54.png
:cool:

Trell

Major Contributor
Gotta love GLM and if it weren't for my back, I would be adding a pair of 8361A next year!

To give you an excuse to buy one or five for HT: Hire a couple of furniture mover dudes to place them properly.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How does this work? The blue is the filter that corrects the red peak? And if it was the other way around, i.e. a large dip, then nothing could be done, correct? You can't boost a null.

Do I have that right?
Yes, you can’t eq the nulls out. GLM tries to level the peaks up to ~300hz in my room.

Hmast

When using a sub, does GLM allow to set the crossover frequencies and if so from what range?

Trell

Major Contributor
When using a sub, does GLM allow to set the crossover frequencies and if so from what range?
Yes, you can change the crossover for the subwoofer from the default of 85Hz. For the exact range you’ll have the check the manual of the Genelec SAM you want to use.

Trell

Major Contributor
Second post to make sure you see it as there could be some misunderstanding: This only works with Genelec SAM subwoofers, the end. You can’t use another subwoofer if you want to use GLM.

I for sure wish it was different, but here we are.

Thomas Lund

Technical Expert
Industry Insider
Yes, you can’t eq the nulls out. GLM tries to level the peaks up to ~300hz in my room.
GLM actually invokes positive compensation now, depending on measured response and a priori knowledge of monitor model. Here's 51 response in my rather lively living room before subjective adjustment.

Attachments

• 8351 stue.jpg
    8351 stue.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 164

Hmast

I guess this is some good news. I don't know if GLM is able to define whether a dip is about wave cancelation or something else.

In any case, for those listening in small rooms and very close to the speaker it would have been sad to always preserve SPL over dip correction. When I'm listening to the sound at 1m from the speakers in a 12m² room, I guess I still have plenty of margin before distortion or protection occurs.

bricksie

This only works with Genelec SAM subwoofers, the end. You can’t use another subwoofer if you want to use GLM.

I for sure wish it was different, but here we are.
Actually, you CAN set a crossover frequency for just monitors, and it works (just a very steep high pass filter). You just have to integrate your sub using something other than GLM (e.g., miniDSP, or use the low pass on the sub itself, feed it a separate signal and use REW to adjust level and phase, etc.)

Trell

Major Contributor
Actually, you CAN set a crossover frequency for just monitors, and it works (just a very steep high pass filter). You just have to integrate your sub using something other than GLM (e.g., miniDSP, or use the low pass on the sub itself, feed it a separate signal and use REW to adjust level and phase, etc.)

Here I had mind using GLM for room EQ for both monitors and subwoofer.

I’m not sure one can set the high pass filters on the monitors using GLM v4 without a SAM subwoofer connected. Out of curiosity I tried to do so some time ago but was unable to make that work.

bricksie

I’m not sure one can set the high pass filters on the monitors using GLM v4 without a SAM subwoofer connected. Out of curiosity I tried to do so some time ago but was unable to make that work.
I just set it up with Base Management. I set it to 70 Hz and measured it in REW and the base cutoff is visible (and audible) and quite steep. Just got an SVS SB3000 sub yesterday - going to start integrating it tomorrow...

Ecksbocks

Yes that is possible, I've tried it myself :)

Ecksbocks

Anyone having dual Genelec subwoofers around here?

I have two 7360 and I have played around with crossover frequency but also driving them in mono and stereo.
In my room, crossover at 90 hz works best, the thing is that I was expecting mono subs to sound better than stereo dito, since it might help with standing waves (which I have a lot of), but wouldn't say it does. But I hear a different signature between stereo an mono, the latter gives impression of more punchy upper bass while stereo subs sound a little more "natural", more like if you just bypasses bass management, which makes sense of course.

On really well recorded material I always prefer stereo subs. I also feel that that stereo sub gives the impression of a flatter frequency response.

Oh and I must say that a single subwoofer with GLM sounded just fine in my problematic room. I was in fact a little disappointed when I connected the second subwoofer, I was hoping for even more improvement. The second sub filled up som holes and I got rid of the feeling that the bass came from, in my case, the left side.

I have no ways to measure after GLM so all above is just subjective stuff.

Cheers!

Pe8er

Forum Donor
I just set it up with Base Management. I set it to 70 Hz and measured it in REW and the base cutoff is visible (and audible) and quite steep. Just got an SVS SB3000 sub yesterday - going to start integrating it tomorrow...
Please report back! I have an SVS collecting dust, I’d love to try it with 8351’s. What was your thought process in choosing 70 Hz?

bricksie

Please report back! I have an SVS collecting dust, I’d love to try it with 8351’s. What was your thought process in choosing 70 Hz?
I have a natural dip in the room around 70 Hz, so I figured that I might be able to minimize it by setting the x-over there and playing with phase to try and minimize it. Turns out the best result I've had so far is using 60 Hz and pointing the sub toward the front wall (the grill is nearly touching it). Pretty flat, punchy base from 100 Hz down to 20 Hz, +-2 Hz. Lots of playing with position and x-over frequencies - using the SVS app, GLM and REW made it fairly easy and quick to make the adjustments. Also putting furniture sliders under the sub (my basement has carpet) made moving it around MUCH easier. Pretty happy with what I have now, but there's always room for improvement... ;)

Top Bottom