• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B previsualization

Olius

Hi all!

I'm so glad I found this site. It combines two of my favourite things: audio and science.

When I was shopping for my first studio monitors four years ago, I didn't know much about the subject except that I had read they were supposed to be accurate and have a flat frequency response. I listened to a few different models and in the end I bought a pair of Genelec M040 because people said Genelec was good in general, I liked their aesthetics and they sounded really good when I auditioned them. I didn't even know Genelec themselves provided measurements on their site. And even if I did, I wouldn't have known what they meant.

Since I started reading on these forums, I've come to realize I was quite lucky to choose a manufacturer who does measurements and values objective performance. What it also did was make me understand what Genelec is doing with the "Ones" and how much I want a pair :)

I'm still saving up for them but in the meantime I figured I could try to visualize what they would look like together with my current setup. Conveniently enough, Genelec provides technical drawings of their speakers on their website, so getting the dimensions right becomes easier:
Skärmbild 2021-03-07 213957.jpg

I imported them into Blender and modeled a speaker from them following the lines as closely as I could:
Skärmbild 2021-03-07 213705.jpg

I also tried to make the material match their grey sparkly paint but I didn't get it to match completely I feel:
8351B_4.jpg

I already had a 3D model of my apartment which I have used to try out different furniture arrangements, so I added the speakers to it:
Skärmbild 2021-04-18 140206.jpg

Here is a photo of my current setup:
A06A0181.jpg

3D render:
8351B_6.jpg

Another angle:
A06A0185.jpg

3D render:
8351B_7.jpg

All in all, this was a fun exercise! Hopefully I will be able to update this thread when/if I buy them!

mkt

Nice room treatment too!

OP
Olius

Olius

Looking nice!

PS: Did you really model the buildings outside?

Thank you! The view outside the windows is from a 360° HDR panorama I shot from my balcony so that the renders would match the photos better.

XpanD

Forum Donor
Wow, that's a really cool way of doing that. And here I thought I was being clever doing a few different 2D views of my room and its furniture in Amray, ha!

And yeah, I love those technical drawings. I used the 8341A ones along with drawings of the stands I was interested in to find the exact height of the finished assembly, so I could see if the whole thing would fit where I wanted it to. Worked out great!

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Pretty low effort if you ask me. Add the plants and I'll be impressed.

Really though, nicely done!

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
one thing you miss from this is the sheer scale of the 8351s. they are gigantic in person.

OP
Olius

Olius

one thing you miss from this is the sheer scale of the 8351s. they are gigantic in person.

Yeah, I thought I had grasped how big they are when I did these renders but I was still surprised by their size when I went to listen to them at a store near me :p

Harald

Yo Olius,

Saw that you've now purchased the 8351B's in another thread.
How does your room/desk look now irl?
I have the 8340s on the same 8000-325B stands, but considering upgrading to 8351B as well.
Cool renders!

Top Bottom