• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8350 vs 1032

kuf

I decided to go with Genelec speakers for my living room.
Reason, I want an as easy can be room correction with GLM and that I am very impressed with the 8020D plus 7040 I bought a year ago for my desktop. I have already sold my previous setup with passive floorstanders.

The 8350 fits in my budget. I will add two subwoofers, probably the 7350 mainly for bass management rather than low end extension or low end power.
I listen in low to mid levels and the room is about 7x4 m with openings to adjacent spaces.
The listening distance can be 2 m or more.
I listen to various kinds of rock music, mainly 60s and 70s.

Can anyone advice me regarding the 8350 vs the 1032 as they cost nearly the same?

Any alternatives regarding the above?

dfuller

Major Contributor
1032 has a bigger midwoofer at 10"/250mm nominal. It has a bit more output capability.

Reactions: kuf
OP
K

kuf

yes the 10" woofer is the plus,
but what will I'll loose since it has the same price with the 8350?

I suppose the 8350 has the same character with the 8020 I own? Is it the safe path for me?
Why nobody speaks about the 1032?

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 1032 is an older design/older technology, that is why Genelec's site calls it the "iconic" 1000 series. Few want to pay $5k for a pair of the last last gen technology in the 1032C when you can get the 8350 or 8341 for a little less or a modest amount more respectively. The 8350 even matches the bass extension, in theory. Look at the waveguide and cabinet shape in the 8350 vs. the 1032. It is clear in what generation Genelec started to use computer modeling to optimize waveguide and cabinet shape.

Here is a thread on how the 1032 has worse spinorama than 8000 series.

Last edited:

RobL

Forum Donor
Both are great speakers, do you like jelly beans or monkey coffins? :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The 1032 is an older design/older technology, that is why Genelec's site calls it the "iconic" 1000 series. Few want to pay $5k for a pair of the last last gen technology in the 1032C when you can get the 8350 or 8341 for a little less or a modest amount more respectively. The 8350 even matches the bass extension, in theory. Look at the waveguide and cabinet shape in the 8350 vs. the 1032. It is clear in what generation Genelec started to use computer modeling to optimize waveguide and cabinet shape.

Here is a thread on how the 1032 has worse spinorama than 8000 series.
I'm not sure older design = worst sound
I mean, if it was bad they would have discontinued it.
Maybe @Ilkka Rissanen from Genelec can clarify the differences.

dshreter

This should be pretty easy... 8350
  • If you're getting sub anyway, you're unlikely to benefit from additional output of 1032 based on the listening distances you've stated
  • 8350 is the more refined speaker for on/off axis response

TurtlePaul

MDF vs Aluminium, that's about it.

Specs are shockingly close otherwise.
I think I disagree.

If you look at the 1032 spin, the tweeter matches woofer directivity at the crossover frequency but then it is constant directivity above that, instead of continuing the ideal slope. The 1032 has a waveguide but it is apparent it is not optimized.

Also, I suspect the bean shape was optimized to reduce standing waves, reduce cabinet edge defractions and optimize baffle step. All of this would slightly reduce the mid to high wiggles in the frequency response graph.

Zaireeka

Agreed, the directivity plots are smoother for the 8350A.

On the other hand Genelec claims 1% less THD from 50 to 100Hz for the 1032, and a slightly higher SPL...

Another big difference is the port placement, front vs back.

RobL

Forum Donor
Grills are available for the 1032’s as well.

turnip_up

Someone from Genelec posted a similar reply when queried about measurement discrepancies of the newer 83X1 series stuff - basically replying that they had tried to design speakers based primarily on measurement... but they didn't sound very good, so they always include critical listening as part of the design process.

I don't know why... but I always equated that comment to reflect the original 8000 series. I'm not sure I've ever listened to a speaker that I find more fatiguing.

soundwave76

Forum Donor
8350 for sure. I have 8340 and also auditioned the 1032 in my living room. The bass difference was not that big at all and the 8340 overall sound was better and cleaner in my ears.

Zaireeka

Someone from Genelec posted a similar reply when queried about measurement discrepancies of the newer 83X1 series stuff - basically replying that they had tried to design speakers based primarily on measurement... but they didn't sound very good, so they always include critical listening as part of the design process.

I don't know why... but I always equated that comment to reflect the original 8000 series. I'm not sure I've ever listened to a speaker that I find more fatiguing.
I had to tone down the treble with a high self cutting -3,5dB at 7,5kHz to avoid that fatiguing bright sound in my particular setup (equilateral triangle with 2,20m base, untreated room) . In the end I think it's still better to remove a bit on the top of the spectrum than trying to boost frequencies lacking in the first place, because of a badly designed cabinet or tweeter.

Now they just sound perfect to my hears, very detailed without being too bright...

dfuller

Major Contributor
And then there's also the part where the 1031s sound noticeably better than 8050s...

RobL

Forum Donor
I got my RME ADI2 and was able to apply some EQ and I think I have finally got my 1032’s dialed in. I haven’t heard the 8350’s and I’m sure they’re great but I gotta say my 1032’s are incredible now.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I got my RME ADI2 and was able to apply some EQ and I think I have finally got my 1032’s dialed in. I haven’t heard the 8350’s and I’m sure they’re great but I gotta say my 1032’s are incredible now.
Do you feel you need a sub with them?

RobL

Forum Donor
I’m actually using a 3000 micro with them, but honestly if I turn off the sub it’s hardly noticed on anything other than maybe EDM.

RobL

Forum Donor
How hard was it to integrate it?
Not hard at all. I’m running the 1032’s full range, didn’t see any need to offload the woofer’s as they get plenty loud as is. They have a built in subsonic filter that rolls them off 18db/octave below 40hz. I played around with the SVS app a bit and it worked best setting the low pass to 40hz @ 18db/oct. I also have a strong room mode @ ~42hz but was able to eq it out in the RME.

Top Bottom