• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341AWM paired with MiniDSP SHD

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nooooo.

I've only just bought the SHD and you're telling me to sell it! :D:D:D

I will admit that maybe I rushed into this purchase but I just wanted something that would work well with the 8341's.

The funny thing is, I used to own the original version of the RME ADI2 FS.
I sold it not long ago.

I wouldn't worry about the extra A/D conversions at all. Highly likely they make no audible difference at all under blind conditions. Better to get what you need.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For your use case, I'd sell the SHD and get a ddrc-88d with an additional external DAC for every pair of subwoofers you plan to integrate, plus the optional ddrc-88bm plugin which enables support for dirac's bass management.

I really do see where you're coming from but I really need to reduce my box count.
I've had enough of having 10 boxes all doing different things which, these days, one or two boxes could do the same.

I'm even going to sell my old (2016) TV as a modern TV has everything built in that I currently have 3 different boxes for......

Optical out of the TV...job done. Movies taken care of.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
GLM is great but doesn't support non-genelec subwoofer integration afaik

Which is why I went for the minidsp. So I could control my subs and integrate them to my powered monitors.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I wouldn't worry about the extra A/D conversions at all. Highly likely they make no audible difference at all under blind conditions. Better to get what you need.

I have said it before but I did rush into this purchase. I still believe the SHD is the good choice. Might not be the "best" but, for the time being, it'll do the job really well (I hope)!

I am gutted it hasn't got AES output though.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have said it before but I did rush into this purchase. I still believe the SHD is the good choice. Might not be the "best" but, for the time being, it'll do the job really well (I hope)!

I am gutted it hasn't got AES output though.
Not for nothing, would the MiniDSP people consider a return?

You've got a new puppy, but no leash.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is highly likely that you will be able to convert the SHD’s SPDIF output to AES with no issues. Although AES operates at a higher voltage, AES inputs are often designed to accept lower voltage SPDIF signals. There is also the impedance difference between SPDIF and AES which was previously mentioned but this can be solved with a relatively cheap transformer. I would get a RCA to BNC cable constructed from 75 ohm cable/BNC connector and a Canare BCJ-XP-TRB transformer, I imagine this will be perfectly fine.

Michael

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Not for nothing, would the MiniDSP people consider a return?

You've got a new puppy, but no leash.

Ok. Let's say I send back the unopened SHD and swap it for a STUDIO version.
I'm still left with a pair of subwoofer that only have unbalanced connections.

What do I do with those connections if everything I have is digital?

How do I integrate my subs into the mix? I do have a minidsp 2x4HD that I currently use for the subs. Could that be utilised somehow?

This is why I went for the standard SHD, to reduce my box count and allow integration for my subs.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
It is highly likely that you will be able to convert the SHD’s SPDIF output to AES with no issues. Although AES operates at a higher voltage, AES inputs are often designed to accept lower voltage SPDIF signals. There is also the impedance difference between SPDIF and AES which was previously mentioned but this can be solved with a relatively cheap transformer. I would get a RCA to BNC cable constructed from 75 ohm cable/BNC connector and a Canare BCJ-XP-TRB transformer, I imagine this will be perfectly fine.

Michael

Yeah, this looks likely to be the best way of going about it if I decide to keep the SHD. :D

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Ok. I've been thinking about this and maybe the STUDIO will be the better bet.
I already own a minidsp 2x4HD for my subs. It has an optical input. I could use an coax output of the STUDIO to a coax/optical converter and feed the 2x4 with am optical signal from the STUDIO.

Would that work? That way, I don't have to worry about the AES issue I currently have as the STUDIO has the AES output.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
It's a tough call because the whole point of this venture is to reduce box count and the standard SHD definitely does that as I would no longer need the 2x4 anymore.
The ONLY downside to the SHD is lack of AES output. That is literally the only thing I a missing ATM.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
So confused. :(

samysound

I use a minidsp SHD with genelec 8351 speakers. I used the spdif digital out from the SHD to a canare impedance converter and a standard AES cable from the impedance converter to the genelec input. works perfectly fine. I use the analog RCA outputs to feed a pair of SVS subs. works pretty nice with Dirac to clean the integration up
Canare BCJ-XP-TRC Transformer - BNC to XLRM - 75-Ohm to 110-Ohm

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/canare-transformer-xlrm-to-bnc

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Thanks guys. I think I just got myself into a bit of rabbit hole looking online at the various views of other people.

I will try the straight through cable to begin with (because I have one available) and see how I get one.
If it doesn't work, it's no big deal, I'll just buy the transformer as samysound suggests.

:)

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TimH

I can't answer the above but I'm in the same position as you Sparky. I just got the 8341s and 7350a Sub. I need multiple optical in as I have to split the audio out of my Blu-Ray player separately from the TV so I can use my projector as well and also add my PC into the mix. From what I understand there is no audible difference between AES or balanced into the 8341s, but then Genelec do recommend doing volume control after the Dac has done its stuff.....at least this is what I understand from reading about their remote. I feel like I have two options that may be worth considering in your case if and when you do change from the mini DSP.

The only problem with these two is that I think you would have to run Genelec subs or otherwise another box but I thought I would share what I found anyway

Cambridge Audios network player 851N has AES out - I think in this case it would then need the Genelec remote as you loose volume control, however it has lots of good inputs options as well as the addition of airplay (which for me is a bonus)

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/row/en/products/hi-fi/851/851n

or

https://www.minidsp.com/products/opendrc-series/opendrc-di

The Open DRC - DI should allow you to run AES out to your speakers and in this case I think you get volume control with it. The only down side for me is the limited inputs so I would have to buy an optical splitter.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 851N for the convenience of it all, but I guess you also have to pay a price for that as it seems much cheaper to use either balanced outputs with a normal dac - the cheapest I could find being the Soncoz I currently have but it has no remote and I still need to buy another breakout box to split the inputs (+ the optical port just came loose from its fixings!) or adaptors that have been recommended above.

I hope that helps, I'll let you know if I get either

Cheers

Tim

Top Bottom