• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341AWM paired with MiniDSP SHD

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
The SHD interested me so much that I was ready to pull the trigger. But I was very disappointed when I learned that the SHD would not integrate the new Dirac Live Bass Management (from what I understand and as far as I know )... So today I turn to other solutions for the management of my future sub
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/dirac-live-bass-management.9786/

You see that doesn't concern me too much as I've been using a minidsp 2x4 HD for the last year and have learned how to use it quite well for my two subs. Once you learn how to use it along with REW, it is just as good as any room correction software I've ever used.
I've used Anthem's ARC, DIRAC and Audyssey. REW combined with minidsp is just as good as these.

I am dissapointed it doesn't have AES output but I can buy a SPDIF/AES cable from van damme for a fair price which will do the job just as well.

Do you not agree? Unless I'm very much mistaken.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
I agree with what you say but it is the policy and the lack of communication of minidsp that embarrass ..

if I had the chance to have GLM I would use GENELEC sub ..... I know it is not a gift;)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it's just that the benefit of balanced interconnects would outweigh any audiophile OCD you have over doing an unnecessary D/A conversion.

and the speakers have XLR analog inputs.

a coax to AES cable will not make that signal magically balanced.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I agree with what you say but it is the policy and the lack of communication of minidsp that embarrass ..

if I had the chance to have GLM I would use GENELEC sub ..... I know it is not a gift;)

Agreed. They do see to be a bit lacking in that department! :D

I've gone for GLM too so I really so no need for DIRAC if I'm honest. :D

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
it's just that the benefit of balanced interconnects would outweigh any audiophile OCD you have over doing an unnecessary D/A conversion.

and the speakers have XLR analog inputs.

a coax to AES cable will not make that signal magically balanced.

Ok. Point taken. I'll do a bit of digging on this and see where it leads. I've got plenty of XLR cable knocking about so it won't be difficult to try it! :)

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry but I'm a little confused here. I'm under the impression that the best way to connect to these speakers is digitally via the AES/EBU input to prevent any unnecessary AD/DA conversions?

The MiniDSP SHD "studio" has AES outputs.
Connect directly to your Genelec AES input Channel 1 (you must setup the speaker to be Channel 1 = Left Channel 2 = Right).

Multiple configurations may be stored, with different crossover choices DSP and EQ for quick comparisons.

Connect AES out from Channel 1 to the input of Channel 2.
These assignments are made in the MiniDSP application.

You need an input (internet by Ethernet connector) a tablet or phone running Volumio or Roon and XLR connectors to the speakers.

No conversion box or adapters are required.

My impression of DIRAC is that it might not be necessary for a speaker like your Genelec which has been optimized to avoid many of the problems DIRAC was built to redress.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
The MiniDSP SHD "studio" has AES outputs.
Connect directly to your Genelec AES input Channel 1 (you must setup the speaker to be Channel 1 = Left Channel 2 = Right).

Multiple configurations may be stored, with different crossover choices DSP and EQ for quick comparisons.

Connect AES out from Channel 1 to the input of Channel 2.
These assignments are made in the MiniDSP application.

You need an input (internet by Ethernet connector) a tablet or phone running Volumio or Roon and XLR connectors to the speakers.

No conversion box or adapters are required.

My impression of DIRAC is that it might not be necessary for a speaker like your Genelec which has been optimized to avoid many of the problems DIRAC was built to redress.

Thank you for this. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have the studio version. I have the standard SHD version.

What do you recommend with that?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using the SHD I would use analog out to the speakers and subwoofers and use REW and Dirac. I'm not sure about using a SPDIF coax to AES3 cable the coax is 75 Ohm the AES3 on the Speakers are 110 Ohm. I believe you might need a converter 75 > 110 ohm to work properly.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Using the SHD I would use analog out to the speakers and subwoofers and use REW and Dirac. I'm not sure about using a SPDIF coax to AES3 cable the coax is 75 Ohm the AES3 on the Speakers are 110 Ohm. I believe you might need a converter 75 > 110 ohm to work properly.

Yeah, that's looking like the best way to go about this.
It would be very easy to swap out cables anyway to test it out.

Looking forward to getting this all hooked up. :)

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just Jones covers the same sentiment: I would not recommend more boxes. It might be a tedious exercise, but would you consider selling off your SHD?

The convenience (and effectiveness) of keeping the signal in the digital domain was remarkable. I went from an RME ADI-2 DAC hooked up as you describe to a straight AES connection.

I can't stomach multiple A/D conversions.
(Not that I can say why not.)

I liken it to making MDF out of Mahogany.

jonfitch

Agreed. They do see to be a bit lacking in that department! :D

I've gone for GLM too so I really so no need for DIRAC if I'm honest. :D

I think if you test dirac and glm h2h you'll find dirac a lot more versatile with its target curve ability, whereas glm is designed to correct the response to sound flat in-room, which may be too bright for home theater application. It also is designed more for a single location correction like REW (which it's based off of) rather than correcting a wider area like dirac which takes 10+ area measurements.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Just Jones covers the same sentiment: I would not recommend more boxes. It might be a tedious exercise, but would you consider selling off your SHD?

The convenience (and effectiveness) of keeping the signal in the digital domain was remarkable. I went from an RME ADI-2 DAC hooked up as you describe to a straight AES connection.

I can't stomach multiple A/D conversions.
(Not that I can say why not.)

I liken it to making MDF out of Mahogany.

Nooooo.

I've only just bought the SHD and you're telling me to sell it! :D:D:D

I will admit that maybe I rushed into this purchase but I just wanted something that would work well with the 8341's.

The funny thing is, I used to own the original version of the RME ADI2 FS.
I sold it not long ago.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I think if you test dirac and glm h2h you'll find dirac a lot more versatile with its target curve ability, whereas glm is designed to correct the response to sound flat in-room, which may be too bright for home theater application. It also is designed more for a single location correction like REW (which it's based off of) rather than correcting a wider area like dirac which takes 10+ area measurements.

Hi.

I used to own an Arcam AVR a while ago which had DIRAC built in. DIRAC is good at what it does and I'm interested to see what GLM can do too!
I enjoy using REW, find it fascinating really how such small changes in your system can make such dramatic alterations to the overall sound you hear.

I live in England by the way so compared you an American home, my lounge is tiny at 4.5 metres x 4 metres wide.

Trell

Major Contributor

With GLM you can apply a "Sound Profile" so that you can tilt the high frequency response to your liking, and you can also take multiple measurements.

jonfitch

With GLM you can apply a "Sound Profile" so that you can tilt the high frequency response to your liking, and you can also take multiple measurements.

Yep, I find that too limiting compared to Dirac, and also I find Dirac more effective because it's closer to correcting the power response of the speakers with the much wider array of measurements it aggregates.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor

Very helpful information there! Thank you.

alont

Forum Donor
Hi.

I used to own an Arcam AVR a while ago which had DIRAC built in. DIRAC is good at what it does and I'm interested to see what GLM can do too!
I enjoy using REW, find it fascinating really how such small changes in your system can make such dramatic alterations to the overall sound you hear.

I live in England by the way so compared you an American home, my lounge is tiny at 4.5 metres x 4 metres wide.

For your use case, I'd sell the SHD and get a ddrc-88d with an additional external DAC for every pair of subwoofers you plan to integrate, plus the optional ddrc-88bm plugin which enables support for dirac's bass management.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
With DIRAC, the frequency response of your room is sent of to a large server to be chewed on before being sent back to you.
DIRAC is infinitely more powerful than GLM but I still think GLM can hold its own....

Top Bottom