• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341AWM paired with MiniDSP SHD

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all.

I have asked a few questions in various threads regarding the 8341's but, seen as though I've just purchased these beauties, I thought I would start a thread so I can keep all the valuable information in one place.

So, based on the measurements Amir has taken, I have purchased a pair of Gen 8341AWM's for home theatre and music duties.
I will be selling off all my passive gear and trying to simplify my set up.
I have purchased a MiniDSP SHD to go with the 8341's (again, based on Amir's measurements) and I will be running a pair of non Genelec subs with them.

I just wanted to know what I would need to get me up and running really. I am not used to active speakers at all.

Does the following sound right to you guys?

My OPPO UDP 203 acts as an AVR of sorts and I route all my HDMI movie sources through it via a HD Fury DIVA switcher.
I currently use the analogue L & R and Sub out to my Anthem STR.
In the new set up, I intend to ditch the analogue out and use TOSLINK (Optical) instead and have the OPPO output via it's optical port direct to the MiniDSP.
It is my assumption that all multichannel audio (including the LFE) will be downmix into stereo.

How to integrate my subs now with them not being a Genelec brand?

For music, I use an Innuos Mini MK3 as a disc ripper/steamer/ROON Core. This will be connected via Asynchronous USB direct to the MiniDSP.
I intend to sell the Innuos in favour of an Intel NUK with ROON Rock installed. I no longer rip CD's as I use TIDAL so I feel this is the best way to go. Plus, the MiniDSP is a steamer too.

This is the part I'm unsure of:

Do I run an optical cable (can it be any type) from the MiniDSP to an AES/EBU converter then on to the 8341'2 in AES/EBU or, buy a dedicated 110 Ohm cable which has optical on one end and AES on the other?

Then I link the two speakers together with an AES cable.

Is this correct??

Thanks for looking.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The MiniDSP SHD Studio has only digital outputs, if you have no analog inputs (vinyl, tapes .etc) then it’s the cheaper and obvious choice

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using the SHD Studio I believe he would need a DAC for the subwoofers unless they are connected to the STR? Unless that's what is being ditched. I'm bit confused on his chain.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I did initially go for the Studio version but then I realised I still needed an analogue input for the subs......

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Using the SHD Studio I believe he would need a DAC for the subwoofers unless they are connected to the STR? Unless that's what is being ditched. I'm bit confused on his chain.

I think I should maybe clear this up a bit.

The Anthem is being sold along with a multitude of other items so I will basically just have the 8341's, dual subwoofers, minidspSHD and my sources.
I intend to run an optical cable from the OPPO for all my movie watching.
I'll run a USB cable from my ROON Core.

Essentially, I need to know how best to connect to my 8341's. up to my minidsp.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

oh that's true, i missed that.

anyway if your setup will be stereo, optical out from your TV to the MiniDSP (whichever model you decide on) is the best possible scenario for ground loops and noise. With Dirac you can put that AVR to rest, but you do need to do subwoofer integration on your on. it's very easy to create an LFE with the MiniDSPs as well.

you have to make a decision between giving your Speakers analog or digital inputs. Either way it wouldn't matter as the SHD series is transparent.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
oh that's true, i missed that.

anyway if your setup will be stereo, optical out from your TV to the MiniDSP (whichever model you decide on) is the best possible scenario for ground loops and noise. With Dirac you can put that AVR to rest, but you do need to do subwoofer integration on your on. it's very easy to create an LFE with the MiniDSPs as well.

you have to make a decision between giving your Speakers analog or digital inputs. Either way it wouldn't matter as the SHD series is transparent.

Hi.

Thanks for your input. I just don't want to get this wrong that's all.
I've spent the last 20 years using passive speakers and amps so using actives just seems odd even though, really. its exactly the same thing but just in one box! :D

You're right of course, using the OPPO 203 now seems kind of redundant if I'm only using the optical out from it. might aswel go direct from the TV!
Maybe I should sell that too and buy a more modern TV with more HDMI inputs??

I was concerned about losing the LFE channel by no longer using the optical outputs from the OPPO but, it should downmix it all into the stereo signal right?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Straight AES connections to the speakers and plate amps.

My Bluesound Vault is connected through the optical input.
No delays or hiccups, so long as the internet holds.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Straight AES connections to the speakers and plate amps.

My Bluesound Vault is connected through the optical input.
No delays or hiccups, so long as the internet holds.

Sounds very promising. I'll get reading that manual you posted! :)

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Blue Jeans cable can make XLR interconnects any length you like.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.

Thanks for your input. I just don't want to get this wrong that's all.
I've spent the last 20 years using passive speakers and amps so using actives just seems odd even though, really. its exactly the same thing but just in one box! :D

You're right of course, using the OPPO 203 now seems kind of redundant if I'm only using the optical out from it. might aswel go direct from the TV!
Maybe I should sell that too and buy a more modern TV with more HDMI inputs??

I was concerned about losing the LFE channel by no longer using the optical outputs from the OPPO but, it should downmix it all into the stereo signal right?

the ****** thing about audio codecs is that if the apparatus (TV) can't decode it then it can't pass it along either to be decoded downstream (AVR). so yes if your TV has optical out and you're doing stereo AVRs are really redundant.

the SHD is obviously the more versatile device, it can literally do everything except AES digital output. I would go with that if money wasn't an issue.

but with the Studio you can use any DAC you like, so it is obviously the better option when you either have a DAC or you don't need one.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
the ****** thing about audio codecs is that if the apparatus (TV) can't decode it then it can't pass it along either to be decoded downstream (AVR). so yes if your TV has optical out and you're doing stereo AVRs are really redundant.

the SHD is obviously the more versatile device, it can literally do everything except AES digital output. I would go with that if money wasn't an issue.

but with the Studio you can use any DAC you like, so it is obviously the better option when you either have a DAC or you don't need one.

Very true regarding the audio codecs! I'm sure it's done deliberately to keep us forever on the mouse-wheel of continual needs for extra devices!

Mixing audio and video is a PITA and always results with a rubbish AVR (Unless we are talking Trinnov) which is why I've decided to simplify my gear.
I'm sick of chasing the dream of perfect cohesion between my music listening and movie watching.
I've spent £20k + over the last few years and to be honest, I probably should've kept the first lot of gear I bought! :D

I really like the Studio for its AES output but I really need to analogue input for my subs! :(

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Should I use optical or coax for the output to the speakers with the AES converter?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Forget that question. The SHD doesn't have an optical output. :D

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Sorry but I'm a little confused here. I'm under the impression that the best way to connect to these speakers is digitally via the AES/EBU input to prevent any unnecessary AD/DA conversions?
So, if I use the SPDIF coax 1&2 output then use and AES/EBU converter, that will solve my problem but, if I use the analogue XLR, I'll have to use a different converter to change to AES. Is this correct?

Top Bottom