• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341AWM paired with MiniDSP SHD

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spdif out carries two channels of data, per MiniDSP manual.

You must assign the channels in the Application, on a separate PC.
(Dunno if it works on MAC.)

This configuration is saved to the MiniDSP.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Ok, So I have just spoken over the phone to a minidsp re-seller and they've confirmed that I cannot output anything from the STUDIO version to my minidsp 2x4HD which controls my subwoofers.
The only digital input the 2x4 HD has is an optical but the STUDIO doesn't have an optical output.

I would love to get the STUDIO as the re-seller was potentially prepared to do a straight swap between my unopened SHD in exchange for a STUDIO but I don't see how it would work. I still need an analogue input/output for my subs.

I might as well buy the BNC/AES transformer and be done with this saga! :D

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I have bought this:

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/naditbnc-m

As well as the necessary cables to go with it. I feel the standard SHD is suited to my needs and keeps the box count as low as possible.

With the STUDIO, I still would've had to have bought adapters of some description so it really is "swings and roundabouts".

Thank you all for your assistance in this. :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Just an update.

The 8341's are singing beautifully and I've managed to time align my two subwoofers too with the help of a lovely chap over on "AV Nirvana".

Sounds fantastic. :)
Have you compared the 8341A to 8351B?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Have you compared the 8341A to 8351B?

I haven't I'm afraid but I'm led to believe that the only real difference is in SPL level.

I was initially concerned about the SPL level of the 8341's but those concerns were soon laid to rest when I fired them up! :)

Top Bottom