• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey @MZKM, I've noticed that for some speakers you place a link to "all graphs/data", which then takes me to an extremely useful set of graphs and figures :)

Is there a link somewhere to say a master index of all these "all graphs/data" pages? It would be nice to be able to access these at will rather than having to search through each thread to find links in your posts (if any).
Sometimes I get lazy ;)
But yeah, I’ll go back and add the links.

Colonel Bogey

How does the 8341A compare to the 8351A (original version) if a sub is being used for both? Can anyone comment?
Not anything near an "evidence based" comment but the Genelec speciallist at our big local reseller told me "no difference" when I asked exactly that question a couple of years ago. Sounds credible to me ;)

Would the 8331 be pretty similar to the 8341? I would like pair the 8331 with a sub to save some $. Small studio space would not really need the SPL, except I will be moving about 1m, 2m, 3m away from the speakers.

Thanks

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Would the 8331 be pretty similar to the 8341? I would like pair the 8331 with a sub to save some $. Small studio space would not really need the SPL, except I will be moving about 1m, 2m, 3m away from the speakers.

Thanks
Not too far apart in frequency response (you lose out on around 1/4 octave or 3 chromatic notes), but the amplification sections and SPL are going to be different in a way that might be meaningful. The 8341A's 110 dB SPL is going to sound around 50% louder than the 8331A's 104 dB SPL.

Not too far apart in frequency response (you lose out on around 1/4 octave or 3 chromatic notes), but the amplification sections and SPL are going to be different in a way that might be meaningful. The 8341A's 110 dB SPL is going to sound around 50% louder than the 8331A's 104 dB SPL.

hey thanks, when you say amplification are you just referring to loudness, or do they sound tonal different due to different internal transformers or cabinet sizes? I usually mix around the 75-80db mark sitting less than 1m away from speakers. Even if I'm jamming out 90db would be quite loud if I'm 2-3m away. But 50% of time I'm not at the mixing position so SPL does matter. Appreciate any advises ! thanks

Also since we are on this subject, would adding a sub interfere with the stereo image? (since part of the lows are taken out of the mains)

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
hey thanks, when you say amplification are you just referring to loudness, or do they sound tonal different due to different internal transformers or cabinet sizes? I usually mix around the 75-80db mark sitting less than 1m away from speakers. Even if I'm jamming out 90db would be quite loud if I'm 2-3m away. But 50% of time I'm not at the mixing position so SPL does matter. Appreciate any advises ! thanks
I just mean the amplifiers are different. Have a look at the amp wattage specs among the Ones models:

8331A: 72 W Bass (Class D) + 36 W Midrange (Class D) + 36 W Treble (Class D)
8341A: 250 W Bass (Class D) + 150 W Midrange (Class D) + 150 W Treble (Class D)
8351B: 250 W Bass (Class D) + 150 W Midrange (Class D) + 150 W Treble (Class D)
8361A: 700 W Bass (Class D) + 150 W Midrange (Class D) + 150 W Treble (Class D)

You can see that the 8341A, 8351B, and 8361A have similar amplification sections for the coaxial driver. The coaxial drivers appear to be the same size on the 8331A & 8341A and the 8351B & 8361A. So, the 8331A is a bit like a 8341A with a smaller woofer and much lower wattages -- perhaps intentionally designed for lower SPL.

Everyone has different needs for different listening positions. You should be able to gain some SPL from the mains by crossing over to a sub to handle the low frequencies. Will it be enough for your room? Only you can say.

Also since we are on this subject, would adding a sub interfere with the stereo image? (since part of the lows are taken out of the mains)
The way you integrate the sub into the room is always a consideration in terms of managing frequency response, but you're well below the localization point (~100 Hz), so no need to worry about that piece of it.

I just mean the amplifiers are different. Have a look at the amp wattage specs among the Ones models:

8331A: 72 W Bass (Class D) + 36 W Midrange (Class D) + 36 W Treble (Class D)
8341A: 250 W Bass (Class D) + 150 W Midrange (Class D) + 150 W Treble (Class D)
8351B: 250 W Bass (Class D) + 150 W Midrange (Class D) + 150 W Treble (Class D)
8361A: 700 W Bass (Class D) + 150 W Midrange (Class D) + 150 W Treble (Class D)

You can see that the 8341A, 8351B, and 8361A have similar amplification sections for the coaxial driver. The coaxial drivers appear to be the same size on the 8331A & 8341A and the 8351B & 8361A. So, the 8331A is a bit like a 8341A with a smaller woofer and much lower wattages -- perhaps intentionally designed for lower SPL.

Everyone has different needs for different listening positions. You should be able to gain some SPL from the mains by crossing over to a sub to handle the low frequencies. Will it be enough for your room? Only you can say.

The way you integrate the sub into the room is always a consideration in terms of managing frequency response, but you're well below the localization point (~100 Hz), so no need to worry about that piece of it.

Thanks again!

If you look at my current measured room response other than 2db ish dip at 120hz, everything below 80hz is not ideal, so wanted to integrate a sub to take care of lows.

Also are there any time response measurements for the 8341 and 8331 floating around if anyone care to point me to? Found this one from the OP and was wondering how are decay times for similar priced or cheaper monitors in the 83x1 league.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...itor-review.11652/#lg=attachment51412&slide=0

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 2.37.13 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 2.37.13 pm.png
    220 KB · Views: 123

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Also are there any time response measurements for the 8341 and 8331 floating around if anyone care to point me to? Found this one from the OP and was wondering how are decay times for similar priced or cheaper monitors in the 83x1 league.
TBH I'm not sure how useful the in-room CSD waterfalls are here. From what I recall, Amir doesn't seem to put much stock in them for anything beyond measuring obvious cabinet resonances.

I didn't realize the 8331As were $2,250 each. Wow.

In that price range, I'd take a close look at the Neumann KH310As. Unless you really need that last octave, you may not need a sub with those.

TBH I'm not sure how useful the in-room CSD waterfalls are here. From what I recall, Amir doesn't seem to put much stock in them for anything beyond measuring obvious cabinet resonances.

In that price range, I'd take a close look at the Neumann KH310As. Unless you really need that last octave, you may not need a sub with those.

Hey actually I’m also considering those, the only problem is that the KH310 are 3 ways and I think sitting very close to it as I am now with my current speakers will ruin the stereo image. Also how will it compare to 8341 for example at different locations in the room.

Oops I didn’t realize those decay plots were in also part of the room response. Did Genelecs publish any decay plots for the 8341 or 8331? I’m mainly interest in these due to ultra near field capability and better off axis FR

In that price range, I'd take a close look at the Neumann KH310As. Unless you really need that last octave, you may not need a sub with those.[/QUOTE

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yeah. As far as I understand, the purpose of the 8331A is to fit a 3-way coaxial in the smallest box possible. If that's not something you specifically need, I'd go 8330A, or 8030C if you don't want GLM etc.

If you want more output, then that's when you'd consider 8341A or up, and personally I think if you want >1m distances you should buy 8341A. But then, I bought 8351B for 2.1m listening distance(granted, I also needed home theatre SPL).

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I’m mainly interest in these due to ultra near field capability and better off axis FR
Right, and that's what you pay for with Genelecs. Otherwise, you could be looking at JBL, Adam, Neumann, or even the iLoud MTM for low SPL.

Depending on what you're mixing, you may want a sub with most of the speakers we're talking about other than perhaps the KH310A or the largest Ones (8351B & 8361A), and at that point it really just becomes a question of how good and how loud do the mains have to be, and how much money do you want to throw at solving that problem. :)

Hey actually I’m also considering those, the only problem is that the KH310 are 3 ways and I think sitting very close to it as I am now with my current speakers will ruin the stereo image.
It's doable:

index.php

index.php

nice_action_shot.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. As far as I understand, the purpose of the 8331A is to fit a 3-way coaxial in the smallest box possible. If that's not something you specifically need, I'd go 8330A, or 8030C if you don't want GLM etc.

If you want more output, then that's when you'd consider 8341A or up, and personally I think if you want >1m distances you should buy 8341A. But then, I bought 8351B for 2.1m listening distance(granted, I also needed home theatre SPL).

thanks!

Right, and that's what you pay for with Genelecs. Otherwise, you could be looking at JBL, Adam, Neumann, or even the iLoud MTM for low SPL.

Depending on what you're mixing, you may want a sub with most of the speakers we're talking about other than perhaps the KH310A or the largest Ones (8351B & 8361A), and at that point it really just becomes a question of how good and how loud do the mains have to be, and how much money do you want to throw at solving that problem. :)

It's doable:

index.php

index.php

nice_action_shot.jpg
haha drooling over the first image! My point is just because people are listening to them close does not mean its the most idea scenario but I understand what you mean and appreciate those images.

Sprint

Forum Donor
A lot of people(even in the pro audio world) consider Genelecs analytical and not musical at all, it's a combination of a very detailed and clear sound with excellent instrument separation and very tight bass.
The Sennheiser HD800 are criticized for the same reasons but i like that type of sound and that's why i bought them.
I somehow personally do not agree to this statement that Genelecs are not musical. Genelecs in my opinion in combination with GLM were more musical and detailed to my hifi floorstanders yamaha ns777 which had 2 8” inch woofers, 5” inch mid and a tweeter. The yamaha had waveguide as well. The kind of details that i get from my 8340 and 8330 especially for movies is really insane in my untreated room especially when my source is a blu ray. For 2ch music, the issue is my combo of old AVR and the apple music source.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I somehow personally do not agree to this statement that Genelecs are not musical. Genelecs in my opinion in combination with GLM were more musical and detailed to my hifi floorstanders yamaha ns777 which had 2 8” inch woofers, 5” inch mid and a tweeter. The yamaha had waveguide as well. The kind of details that i get from my 8340 and 8330 especially for movies is really insane in my untreated room especially when my source is a blu ray. For 2ch music, the issue is my combo of old AVR and the apple music source.
I'm not saying they're not detailed, I'm saying the consensus is that they're analytical and not "warm sounding " and a touch cold sounding (similar to Sennheiser HD800)
To me detailed sound + excellent tonality= musical
But most audiophiles look for more warmth in the sound that's why they buy a tube amp that costs thousands and turntables that cost the same.

onion

Easy enough to get a warmer sound by playing around in GLM.

Every time I start a listening session, I'm always taken aback by how detailed they sound. I love it, and it never seems to get old.

That's my individual preference - fair enough that the Genelec 'house sound' may not be for everyone

Hephaestus

Thanks again!

If you look at my current measured room response other than 2db ish dip at 120hz, everything below 80hz is not ideal, so wanted to integrate a sub to take care of lows.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/genelec-8341a-sam™-studio-monitor-review.11652/#lg=attachment51412&slide=0

Genelec has some time domain measurements for 8331A&8341A available here:
https://downloads.ctfassets.net/4zj...l_Loudspeakers_with_Integrated_Waveguides.pdf

Top Bottom