• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmm, that's disappointing. I performed a quick peek at it just now, and it appears that they hadn't seen much traffic in the first place.

They are having users direct their questions to the support team. So, perhaps they believe they can handle the volume. I say, give them a shot!
Yeah, looks like they're relying on social media now which I guess is the way forward these days unfortunately.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Indeed. I suppose they consider a social media outlet to be an instant FAQ as they answer questions (that is, IF they answer the questions with solutions).

Trell

Major Contributor
Yeah, looks like they're relying on social media now which I guess is the way forward these days unfortunately.

I for sure will not create a Facebook account but in my experience the Genelec support is very responsive.

o2so

Forum Donor
I have just brought home a pair of 8341As. My subjective impression about loudness and bass after some testing (room is about 45m3, the distance is 2.1m, speakers are about 50cm from wall) is that they get loud enough (more than enough!) but the low frequencies have limited headroom. Kickdrums are not nearly as punchy as with my Dynaudio Focus XD 60, in the same room, at the same listening distance and at the same average SPL.
Just as a test I added the KEF KC62 sub that I have in the study, crossed at 70Hz with a rather gentle slope, equalised with DIRAC via MINIDSP SHD and the kickdrums now sound more as they should.
I wonder if the 8351B would address this without needing a sub. Can anyone kindly comment on this please? I can still bring these back and get the 51s.
The 61s are out of budget and beyond size limits.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Get the 51b, the money only hurts once, the regret will be forever. And then a sub (or even better two) will also help.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I have just brought home a pair of 8341As. My subjective impression about loudness and bass after some testing (room is about 45m3, the distance is 2.1m, speakers are about 50cm from wall) is that they get loud enough (more than enough!) but the low frequencies have limited headroom. Kickdrums are not nearly as punchy as with my Dynaudio Focus XD 60, in the same room, at the same listening distance and at the same average SPL.
Just as a test I added the KEF KC62 sub that I have in the study, crossed at 70Hz with a rather gentle slope, equalised with DIRAC via MINIDSP SHD and the kickdrums now sound more as they should.
I wonder if the 8351B would address this without needing a sub. Can anyone kindly comment on this please? I can still bring these back and get the 51s.
You answered your own question ;)

Reactions: CMB

ethanchiu10

What about 8341 with sub vs 8351 with sub? If the 8341 is already loud enough for my room, is there any reason to go for the 8351 in this case?

samysound

I switched from the 8341 + svs subs (minidsp SHD for cross-overs) to the 8351B without any subs. The SVS subs def went deeper/louder but I could not get the same level of integration in the bass as with the 8351B by themselves. Perhaps using GLM subs would improve the integration issue...

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say maybe. Depends on your room and the ability to get true sub-bass.

The 8351B goes down to 30 Hz. Maybe try brick wall EQ filter at 30 with your current setup incl. the sub and see if you can hear a difference vs. full range.

Personally, I prefer with one - or even two subs.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Everything is better with subs. ;)

Perhaps those Dyns were exciting a room mode that the Gennies do not. Kick drums don't go too low at least in acoustic settings. So I would expect the 8341s to do just fine with them.

Sometimes hearing accurate reproduction after years of overblown low frequencies can make it seem as if accurate is actually lean.

I say eq them and determine if they can still play loudly and with greater LF production.

o2so

Forum Donor
Everything is better with subs. ;)

Perhaps those Dyns were exciting a room mode that the Gennies do not. Kick drums don't go too low at least in acoustic settings. So I would expect the 8341s to do just fine with them.

Sometimes hearing accurate reproduction after years of overblown low frequencies can make it seem as if accurate is actually lean.

I say eq them and determine if they can still play loudly and with greater LF production.
I see your point but it is not my case. Not a rooms mode fault. I referenced the presentation to my headphome set up, or my other study set up.

Mikk

Did I? I am not interested in the 51s if I'll need subs anyway
I strongly suspect you’ll be wanting a sub either way, hence keeping the 8341s to be the better option. You’ve got a pretty big room, and although the Genelecs are incredibly capable, expecting small stand-mount speakers to match/better the much larger Dynaudio‘s bass output seems unrealistic? Though really, it might come down to the styles of music you listen to.

I prefer listening to 8341’s without sub when listening to acoustic music, however a sub is absolutely essential when listening to electronic music.

Thomann.de often have open-box/returned item specials on Genelec subs, and the pricing including shipping/customs duty etc to Aus is still cheaper than buying local.

Mikk

I just noticed the Dynaudio xd60 specs show -3db at 18Hz. The only way you’re ever going to get close to this using any genelec system is with a sub.

o2so

Forum Donor
I switched from the 8341 + svs subs (minidsp SHD for cross-overs) to the 8351B without any subs. The SVS subs def went deeper/louder but I could not get the same level of integration in the bass as with the 8351B by themselves. Perhaps using GLM subs would improve the integration issue...
Have had a similar issue with SVS subs in my previous set up. I could not quite get the sub properly integrated via Minidsp. Not saying it is an SVS thing though.

o2so

Forum Donor
I just noticed the Dynaudio xd60 specs show -3db at 18Hz. The only way you’re ever going to get close to this using any genelec system is with a sub.
Thanks for checking that out. I know, they go low. But it is not the 20Hz to 30Hz range that I am worried about. My studio nearfield set up with two Kef LSX and a KC62 is flat down to 30Hz and then quickly drops, but gives me all I need in the bass department.

o2so

Forum Donor
Thanks for checking that out. I know, they go low. But it is not the 20Hz to 30Hz range that I am worried about. My studio nearfield set up with two Kef LSX and a KC62 is flat down to 30Hz and then quickly drops, but gives me all I need in the bass department.
After further testing, it turns out it was partially an extension issue. Crossing to the sub at 40Hz with 48db BW obtained almost the same effect on the "punch" as crossing it at 80Hz with mild slope.
FYI, this is the low frequencies with and without KC62, post EQ, in my 45m3 room
with or without sub.jpg

Top Bottom