• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

Trell

Major Contributor
Oh, so you quoted the wrong post? I’m not a big fan of your condescending writing style, and it now appears you’re the one making assumptions.

How close is very close? What is deep powerful bass? I’ve got my measurements from my listening position and they’re achieving exactly what they say they should. They’re studio monitors, not far field. Maybe you’re using them in the wrong application

That is what I thought when I read your posts as generalizations of your own use case to be universal, and those who disagrees should do some “checks” for what they are doing wrong.

1231rq32r1qw32r

That is what I thought when I read your posts as generalizations of your own use case to be universal, and those who disagrees should do some “checks” for what they are doing wrong.

If that’s what you thought, then that is what you should have said.

God forbid I dare give some check points to make sure we’re all on the same page. I bow to your superior knowledge of audio products and measurement skill. Clearly, you demand so much more for your discerning ears.

You’re right. They are way too quiet. I wish I had never got them and I was hoping to protect my investment by coming to this forum to intentionally sell lies and thus bolster the resale value.

I can’t believe anyone will ever find a use for the 8341a

Trell

Major Contributor
This is so stupid now. I listen to all genres - also let’s not be stupid enough to think that some speakers are “suited for some genres and not others”.

Let me be clear with this statement, as it appears not all of us have spoken to a real human before: I have found that these speakers perform within their specification to a volume level beyond what I would find comfortable to listen to.

Talk of music genres and sub bass frequencies that they’re not designed for are idiotic counter points. You want something that will do 5Hz at 110dB SPL at 1km? Buy something else.

Straw man arguments, and now you are obnoxious on top of that.

Trell

Major Contributor
If that’s what you thought, then that is what you should have said.

God forbid I dare give some check points to make sure we’re all on the same page. I bow to your superior knowledge of audio products and measurement skill. Clearly, you demand so much more for your discerning ears.

You’re right. They are way too quiet. I wish I had never got them and I was hoping to protect my investment by coming to this forum to intentionally sell lies and thus bolster the resale value.

I can’t believe anyone will ever find a use for the 8341a

@hege replied to you, with references, that you’ll miss an octave of bass with the 8341 that is used in the music genres you listed.

The YouTube clip you linked to have quite a bit of sub 40Hz content, btw.

Instead of acknowledging that you become insulting, defensive and use straw man arguments.

1231rq32r1qw32r

Straw man arguments, and now you are obnoxious on top of that.
It’s not a strawman argument. I was overstating the position for comedic effect. It’s no surprise to me that you can only take statements in their most literal sense.

My opinion on the loudness of speakers is certainly subservient to your own. I don’t even own the 8341a, I was lying to look cool in front of all these people. I don’t even have ears actually, but I’d rather not get into the details of that particular industrial accident.

Next time, before I offer up my own opinion on a public forum, I’ll send you a message to ensure that it is in compliance (or at least complimentary) to your own.

NB, the above statements may contain literary techniques beyond that of “litteralism”. Also it was my intention to be obnoxious, I’m glad you at least understood that. I doubt you got the irony of you, who asserts my opinion is wrong, calling me obnoxious

1231rq32r1qw32r

@hege replied to you, with references, that you’ll miss an octave of bass with the 8341 that is used in the music genres you listed.

The YouTube clip you linked to have quite a bit of sub 40Hz content, btw.

Instead of acknowledging that you become insulting, defensive and use straw man arguments.
Jesus Christ Trell, these WILL NOT PERFORM BETTER THAT THEIR STATED SPECIFICATION.

JESUS.

I honestly thought we had a better clientele than this. I’m shocked.

Why are you expecting them to play content below 40hz when, surely, you’ve read the spec?

hege

Forum Donor
Why are you expecting them to play content below 40hz when, surely, you’ve read the spec?
Btw, Genelec doesn't specify any SPL performance parameters below 100hz. Loudness claims are subjective, dB values are not. Amir tripped the speaker protection easily, which I can believe, since I have the same experience with much larger 1032C tripping trying to play too much bass.

1231rq32r1qw32r

Btw, Genelec doesn't specify any SPL performance parameters below 100hz. Loudness claims are subjective, dB values are not. Amir tripped the speaker protection easily, which I can believe, since I have the same experience with much larger 1032C tripping trying to play too much bass.
Absolutely, and I do not doubt your experience nor Amir’s.

And yup, loudness is subjective, that’s the whole reason I offered my opinion. Absolutely more than enough for me.

As far as I understand, Amir only had one, and also has what I would consider a “massive” room. I felt my opinion has some value as my usecase is different.

Reactions: mkt

hege

Forum Donor
As far as I understand, Amir only had one, and also has what I would consider a “massive” room. I felt my opinion has some value as my usecase is different.
To be fair, I don't think you stated much about your room or listening distance. So the usecase is somewhat vague.

Bass performance can differ a lot with speakers against the front wall in a concrete bunker, vs far from boundaries in a wooden house.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely, and I do not doubt your experience nor Amir’s.

And yup, loudness is subjective, that’s the whole reason I offered my opinion. Absolutely more than enough for me.

You said in your original post your room was large by UK standards but how far are you sitting from the speakers?
I am about 4m from my speakers in a roughly 4.5 x 8 m room.

1231rq32r1qw32r

To be fair, I don't think you stated much about your room or listening distance. So the usecase is somewhat vague.

Bass performance can differ a lot with speakers against the front wall in a concrete bunker, vs far from boundaries in a wooden house.
I use them as near field monitors in a treated mixing / mastering room. I did go into some details in a previous post. At a guess I’d say I’m 2m / 2.5m from the monitors when I’m working. I’m not in the studio at the moment so don’t remember exactly.

I run them in a dedicated mixing room, which is of decent size and shape of this type of thing. I don’t tend to listen at loud levels, but I have really cranked them when I’m feeling it :)

My room makes it difficult to control frequencies below 32hz (or round about that).

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I sit about 1.2m away from them in a heavily treated mixing/mastering room and they will make your ears BLEED. They easily get VERY loud. It is apparent this "loudness" thing everyone is arguing about here is VERY subjective!
I think there is a vast difference between the loudness capability in a studio, sitting super close like you are, and at home where listening distances are much greater, usually. I realise I probably am a bit further than average, at 4m for my main speakers and 5 m for my horns.

The idea of using small nearfield monitors for domestic listening because they measure well is a relatively recent concept IME.

1231rq32r1qw32r

I think there is a vast difference between the loudness capability in a studio, sitting super close like you are, and at home where listening distances are much greater, usually. I realise I probably am a bit further than average, at 4m for my main speakers and 5 m for my horns.

The idea of using small nearfield monitors for domestic listening because they measure well is a relatively recent concept IME.
Yeah, these are definitely for professional listening rooms. Critical listening doesn’t take place at high volume levels, generally speaking.

Last edited:

XpanD

Forum Donor
I've only very briefly gotten the light on one of my two 8341As to light up while playing a game (Mass Effect 3's ending lead-up scenes) with the speakers running full-range, at a distance of just under two meters. No measurements there, sadly, but that was at levels that made me genuinely uncomfortable at several points. Looking to integrate a few subs again (my old 2 stereo MBMs + 1 LFE setup), but I'll echo that these probably have plenty of output for most people when used at their intended distance, and even more so when crossed over to a subwoofer.

Colonel Bogey

New concept, but a great one. Apart from maybe not reaching high enough volume i large rooms, I can see no reason a well measuring monitor wouldn't work fine as domestic speaker. I listen to classical at quite high levels at about 2.5 metres in a room almost 50 square metres. No problem raising the volume to unbearable levels if wish. The 8341 i a great speaker, IMHO.

Too bad the discussion got a bit heated, the tip to check presets is quite a good one.

Top Bottom