• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah the Kef Reference 1 is a very laid back speaker. I'll do a video sometime this week with the M126BE measured in the same spot vs Ref 1/8341 and will try to level match and so people can get a general sense of the difference. Although I will say compared to the Genelecs it's going to be more laid back in the mids much like Kef Reference 1, and LS50 Meta, and I'll upload a 8341 vs Kef LS50 Meta sound demo as well. The Genelecs give you more detail in the mids but to me the tradeoff is generally this causes the music to sound less spacious, main reason why I gave the Focal Utopia comparison in which some complain about the lack of soundstage depth, heh (everyone's got their individual preferences in the end).

Wow you have the Utopia too? Would love to hear that side by side with the others.

Really interested to hear the Meta too.

I've got a blind listening speaker party date set up for the end of may. So far we seem to have an R3 and LS50 Meta coming, but I'm also thinking of ordering something from crutchfield that's a little different. I'll also record the output and see how similar it sounds to what we heard. What's a good mic to use? I've just got a UMIK-1 and UMIK-2 right now.

Also, if anyone wants to join and lives near College Station, TX, PM me.

*Edit: friend is bringing original LS50, not the Meta

Last edited:

jonfitch

Wow you have the Utopia too? Would love to hear that side by side with the others.

Really interested to hear the Meta too.

I've got a blind listening speaker party date set up for the end of may. So far we seem to have an R3 and LS50 Meta coming, but I'm also thinking of ordering something from crutchfield that's a little different. I'll also record the output and see how similar it sounds to what we heard. What's a good mic to use? I've just got a UMIK-1 and UMIK-2 right now.

Also, if anyone wants to join and lives near College Station, TX, PM me.

No, Utopia headphones, haha!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
*Edit: friend is bringing original LS50, not the Meta
Old LS50 needs EQ, otherwise it will sound strange compared to the rest, you can use the one I have posted here that makes it closer to the Meta or the one from Maiky76.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Old LS50 needs EQ, otherwise it will sound strange compared to the rest, you can use the one I have posted here that makes it closer to the Meta or the one from Maiky76.

I can't think of a good way to do this. My EQ is in the source, which would be upstream of the switcher. I could load a convolution file in Roon when switching to that speaker, but that may slow the switch time down considerably.

Thinking about it last night, it may actually be better to have a slightly less neutral speaker in the mix of 3, though we'll have enough speakers to do multiple groups if there's time. That said, I'd definitely prefer to have the meta, but that's not what he has :(.

XpanD

Forum Donor
Just had another setting get stuck on one of my 8341s, and this time a more insidious one -- the Stored switch. Was wondering why I was still seeing correction and a rolloff on one of my speakers after repositioning and turning that off, and it turns out it was just ignoring the switch position. GLM also showed the switch as being stuck on, whereas the other speaker would update properly when I flipped the switch. Fixed, again, by unplugging power to the speaker and holding down the power button for 10+ seconds.

Weird thing is that last time the other speaker was acting up, so they both seem to be affected equally. Pretty janky stuff for what is release software and hardware...

(I do still love the sound, but this was a particularly nasty issue -- I would not have known had I not manually checked with REW, and this imbalance would've messed up any external room correction solutions)

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just had another setting get stuck on one of my 8341s, and this time a more insidious one -- the Stored switch. Was wondering why I was still seeing correction and a rolloff on one of my speakers after repositioning and turning that off, and it turns out it was just ignoring the switch position. GLM also showed the switch as being stuck on, whereas the other speaker would update properly when I flipped the switch. Fixed, again, by unplugging power to the speaker and holding down the power button for 10+ seconds.

Weird thing is that last time the other speaker was acting up, so they both seem to be affected equally. Pretty janky stuff for what is release software and hardware...

(I do still love the sound, but this was a particularly nasty issue -- I would not have known had I not manually checked with REW, and this imbalance would've messed up any external room correction solutions)

I had a similar problem when I tried to use the stored switch. It actually made the monitor non-functional through several on/offs and resets. Made me scared to use it, so I haven't tried since then.

XpanD

Forum Donor
I had a similar problem when I tried to use the stored switch. It actually made the monitor non-functional through several on/offs and resets. Made me scared to use it, so I haven't tried since then.

Did you happen to try a long press on the power button (with power disconnected) back when that happened? So far holding the button down for 10+ seconds has fixed all of the weird issues I've come across, but that's a scary one. For what it's worth, I did find that if I did not hold the button down long enough it would not reset properly and would still have the issue.

G|force

Forum Donor
Hi all, I read all 67 pages and I knew when I started reading this thread a couple days ago where I was headed. Thank you to everyone who has contributed, this is an enjoyable forum because of you all! Much appreciated.
I called Vintage King today, have a pair of 8341/GLM/rotary volume on the way. w00t!

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Hi all, I read all 67 pages and I knew when I started reading this thread a couple days ago where I was headed. Thank you to everyone who has contributed, this is an enjoyable forum because of you all! Much appreciated.
I called Vintage King today, have a pair of 8341/GLM/rotary volume on the way. w00t!
Damnnn
Congrats
Waiting for your impressions :cool:

G|force

Forum Donor
Wow, thanks for the ::thumbsup:: everyone. I’m 54, I’ve purchased expensive gear before without actually visiting a store. I’ve surprised myself in the past how patient I can remain waiting.
FedEx update says the box with GLM and the VC is due Tuesday, and the monitors should arrive Thursday. “Here is your C cells kiddo, your toy with C sockets arrives in a couple more days”
I have 2 devices that have AES output. Apogee Rosetta 200 and a Tascam HS8 recorder. I have 2 devices that can output balanced analog, Crane Song Avocet v.1 and an SSL SiX mixer.
I have enough cables to get me through that I made myself, though the 110 ohm stuff I have may or may not be pin 2 negative. (dmx)
The close field monitors I have been using were never made to be close monitors. Let’s play? I’ll disclose the answer when I photograph the G| next to them and post it here. Here are a lot of hints. !!!

-They are discontinued
-They are powered 3-ways with DSP
-They have dual woofers and a coaxial MF/HF
No, they are not G| product.
-They have side handles.. and a pole socket.

::thumbsup::

Last edited:

iwantobelieve

"Note that this is the response you want to see in a room. Having it flat (horizontal line) would sound too bright. So don't go absorbing all reflections as you will get that brighter direct sound."

So, how would you treat for slap echo, etc., and other aspects which are undesirable, without making the speaker sound perceptively bright?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This guy on Instagram auditioned the Neumann, Genelec and Geithain, and chose the 8341A over the rest.
Screenshot_20210504-015814.jpg

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
"Note that this is the response you want to see in a room. Having it flat (horizontal line) would sound too bright. So don't go absorbing all reflections as you will get that brighter direct sound."

So, how would you treat for slap echo, etc., and other aspects which are undesirable, without making the speaker sound perceptively bright?
Use very thick broadband absorption (fibreglass, aim for 8") and dedicated bass traps (membrane, Helmholtz). That way you won't mess up the spectrum of reflected sound.

iwantobelieve

Use very thick broadband absorption (fibreglass, aim for 8") and dedicated bass traps (membrane, Helmholtz). That way you won't mess up the spectrum of reflected sound.

For sure, that’s just standard room treatment, but doesn’t that contradict the comment in the review? In which case isn’t one left with the choice of correct perceived frequency response or not treating acoustic issues which face nearly every room?

Top Bottom