• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It does not look that different the recommended differences for the 8341, 8351 and 8361. I'm basing this on the critical distance/ direct dominance chart. Am I doing it wrong? Does anyone know if/ how the distances change with the use of subs

The only thing you should pay attention to on that chart is minimum recommended distance. Proportion of direct vs. reflected sound is a preference for home listening. I think most prefer more reflected sound, maybe due to placement constraints.

The other chart tells you what SPL to expect for a given room size. The SPL will be less if the room is larger or there is a lot of energy below 100hz. Except if you cross it over with a subwoofer, which will mitigate both of these issues.

The chart is missing data from 8351B and 8361A, but you can get measurements from product page and use those to estimate what you need.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if/ how the distances change with the use of subs?
The critical distance for good monitoring (thus were the direct sound dominates) doesn't change as the subs don't change the directivity of the "satellites".

onion

Cheers - according to the chart, the 8341 will be fine for me. I will use BACCH and am having the surfaces treated to improve absorption and reduce first reflections. Although near-field use would be best for stereo imaging, I don’t really want speakers that close to the listening spot. 2m will be fine.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hope that I'm not hijacking this thread but I'm inspired by the predicted in-room response weighing and I am trying to figure out how much slope the raw FR of my listening spot represents from some measurements. So here are my attempts at figuring this out. Would love some inputs on which one looks more like the overall trend if my room is well treated.
Some background information. My speakers are ~1.1m apart tweeter to tweeter and my listening window is ~0.9m to the speakers. I have no room treatments done (pardon me). My room is about a 4x5, however the speakers are not centered in the room.
Wow, are you at the limits of near field listening for the 8351B?

Gnasherrr

Wow, are you at the limits of near field listening for the 8351B?

Nope don't thk so. Although my raw response isn't the best.

Hephaestus

FYI Genelec owners:

GLM 3.2.0 has been released. Firmware updates for The Ones & GLM box available. New 6-button wireless controller introduced.

6buttons.png

Psycho Squid

FYI Genelec owners:

GLM 3.2.0 has been released. Firmware updates for The Ones & GLM box available. New 6-button wireless controller introduced.

View attachment 54101
I updated the firmware and GLM. I then calibrated my monitors again as I have moved around things in my room. The calibration now fails so I have opened a support case at Genelec. The sweep is only played in the left speaker. Have you run into any problems with your setup? Do you happen to know where to find the changelog for the firmwares?

UPDATE:
The problem has been resolved. After restarting everything, reinstalling GLM and changed USB-port the calibration is now completed.

Last edited:

ferrellms

Just wanted to ask because it never crossed my mind since I'm not too much of a speaker guy. When someone says mid or far field, does that mean those sorts of speakers sacrifice performance at near-field use as a result, or does it mean they're so good, that they do near field well, mid field well, and far field well?

SPL is one reason. But is is considered important to be a distance away from the speakers where the direct sound is louder than reverberant field. Notice the waveguides are deeper on systems for mid-field and far-field, their directionality extends farther from the speaker.

ferrellms

It depends. Some speakers have a minimum distance for the drivers to integrate properly due to their spacing/design.

In this case, it doesn't matter, because the coaxial driver is well integrated at pretty much any listening distance. So nearfield/midfield/farfield is just a loudness issue.
No, there is the fact that, for proper monitoring, the listener has to hear a higher portion of direct sound as opposed to reverberant room sound. Genelec indicates this. The bigger speakers are louder, but their directionality also extends farther from the speaker.

ferrellms

I'd love to see a review of the two-way driver Genelecs, specifically the 8040s in comparison to these.
If you are interested in powered monitors, SoundonSound is a good resource. I do have the 8040s and love them in a treated room with a subwoofer and Sonarworks correction.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, there is the fact that, for proper monitoring, the listener has to hear a higher portion of direct sound as opposed to reverberant room

Is there any evidence to substantiate this claim? As far as I'm aware above the transition frequency the direct sound always becomes dominant regardless of DI. All the evidence, when it comes down to preference, points towards wide horizontal directivity being prefered in normal sized listening spaces by a majority of listeners.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, there is the fact that, for proper monitoring, the listener has to hear a higher portion of direct sound as opposed to reverberant room sound. Genelec indicates this. The bigger speakers are louder, but their directionality also extends farther from the speaker.

OK but I was speaking in general for listening, not specifically to any kind of conception of proper monitoring.

I'm not an audio engineer but my understanding as well is that this conception of "the direct sound must be dominant" is due to historical monitors with terrible directivity and not research-based or anything like that. So I'm not really sure it applies to speakers with perfect directivity like Genelecs, especially if they're in a non-studio environment that doesn't have a lot of nearby angled, flat surfaces like the console to cause strange reflections.

E: Genelec's guidance just says that past a certain distance, the room may colour the sound more, but they don't really suggest whether that's bad or good, so it would depend on the room of course.

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
Is there any evidence to substantiate this claim? As far as I'm aware above the transition frequency the direct sound always becomes dominant regardless of DI. All the evidence, when it comes down to preference, points towards wide horizontal directivity being prefered in normal sized listening spaces by a majority of listeners.

It makes sense in my view that for monitoring purposes one listen to what's coming out of the speakers with as little room-interference as possible.

I would add that I prefer narrow directivity or little side-wall reflection because I can hear more of the recorded ambience cues.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

OK but I was speaking in general for listening, not specifically to any kind of conception of proper monitoring.

I'm not an audio engineer but my understanding as well is that this conception of "the direct sound must be dominant" is due to historical monitors with terrible directivity and not research-based or anything like that. So I'm not really sure it applies to speakers with perfect directivity like Genelecs, especially if they're in a non-studio environment that doesn't have a lot of nearby angled, flat surfaces like the console to cause strange reflections.

E: Genelec's guidance just says that past a certain distance, the room may colour the sound more, but they don't really suggest whether that's bad or good, so it would depend on the room of course.

While it seems true that there is a historical portion to this thought process, it also seems to be the genuine preference of some listeners, even if a bit of a minority. Directivity width doesn't seem to be quite like FR or or off-axis smoothness where almost everyone prefers the flatter/smoother result and it makes sense to optimize for something close to flat. Most people seem to prefer more sidewall reflections, but some do prefer less, especially mixing engineers. So I think it might make sense to want to have narrower directivity in your far field monitors than your near field ones as @ferrellms says, especially if you want to match the tonality with the nearfield ones.

This seems evident in Harman's own speakers. On the whole, JBL monitors have narrower directivity than the Revels meant for at-home use. Not crazy narrow, but narrower nonetheless.

It makes sense in my view that for monitoring purposes one listen to what's coming out of the speakers with as little room-interference as possible.

I would add that I prefer narrow directivity or little side-wall reflection because I can hear more of the recorded ambience cues.

As I always think of it: narrower directivity transports you to the recording venue, wide directivity transports the musicians to your room. That's very much a matter of preference, and I can see why some like you prefer to have fewer sidewall reflections. You will absolutely hear more of the recorded ambience cues with narrower directivity speakers. For me, the effect is never fully convincing sans surround speakers and it ends up sounding a little dry which is why I prefer wide. But I do miss out on the sharper imaging sometimes.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

The more room sound you hear, including first reflections, the less detail you'll be able to resolve.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
This seems evident in Harman's own speakers. On the whole, JBL monitors have narrower directivity than the Revels meant for at-home use. Not crazy narrow, but narrower nonetheless.
That's a good example. I also think people don't distinguish between home theater/multichannel (at which JBL Synthesis line is aimed) and 2-channel music as much as they should.

A soloist singing a song may sound great with more room reflections. But if he's having a conversation and you're trying to understand what he's saying, those reflections won't be helpful.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a good example. I also think people don't distinguish between home theater/multichannel (at which JBL Synthesis line is aimed) and 2-channel music as much as they should.

A soloist singing a song may sound great with more room reflections. But if he's having a conversation and you're trying to understand what he's saying, those reflections won't be helpful.

It also comes down to the convo that was happening at another point about what sounds "real" - how oftentimes that laserfocus precision you get in studios isn't actually what music sounds like at a live event. It's a cool effect but to my imo isn't necessarily realistic. But some people love that.

Ponyboy

If you are interested in powered monitors, SoundonSound is a good resource. I do have the 8040s and love them in a treated room with a subwoofer and Sonarworks correction.

I just took delivery of a pair of 8040s. They‘re great so far but still curious to see them measured. Build quality is fantastic on these as well.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of the detrimental effects of loudspeakers in rooms, in my experience, become more obvious as one gets lower in frequency. We're talking wide vs narrow directivity but if we're being honest most of these differences with consumer/studio loudspeakers are above the 1kHz threshold. Below that there is little difference in directivity, save for a couple of exceptions.
Personally I've found the slope of those early horizontal reflections to be of greater importance than the overall amplitude: if the slope remains more or less constant up to the higher treble range (8-10kHz) chances are I'll like that speaker better compared to one that has a downward trend, of worse, something quite irregular.

Top Bottom