• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A being fed a pure digital signal via a MiniDSP SHD Studio

ctakim

Forum Donor
So largely influenced by the research done here on ASR and because with pandemic I've been spending many hours in front of my home office desk, I decided to splurge and spring for a pair of Genelec 8341A to use as near field computer speakers. I have been listening to a lot more music sitting at my desk than on my main music/home theater rig.

Initially, I've been getting acquainted with the "Ones" feeding them an analog signal. These are my first set of active powered speakers, which is interesting. Unadjusted they do sound a bit bright and flat (lack of depth?) but part of the reason I got them was to play around more with digital signal processing.

I also ordered the GLM kit with the speakers but that has had a shipping delay so I decided to get a MiniDSP SHD Studio. This will allow me to keep the signal in the digital domain and and to use DiracLive for the digital signal processing. I've had some past experience using REW with a UMIK-1 microphone on my former passive speakers and I learned how to do some basic room correction using an MiniDSP 4x2.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also ordered the GLM kit with the speakers but that has had a shipping delay
Obviously GLM is the correct way to alter the speaker sound, but in the meantime, there is a treble tilt switch on the back that can be set to -2dB(both switches up) or -4dB(+2dB switch down, -4dB switch up) that you might want to try.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m curious to hear your thoughts on using both GLM and the MiniSHD and the results you got. Also if there is any advantage in using both together.

Tangband

Major Contributor
So largely influenced by the research done here on ASR and because with pandemic I've been spending many hours in front of my home office desk, I decided to splurge and spring for a pair of Genelec 8341A to use as near field computer speakers. I have been listening to a lot more music sitting at my desk than on my main music/home theater rig.

Initially, I've been getting acquainted with the "Ones" feeding them an analog signal. These are my first set of active powered speakers, which is interesting. Unadjusted they do sound a bit bright and flat (lack of depth?) but part of the reason I got them was to play around more with digital signal processing.

I also ordered the GLM kit with the speakers but that has had a shipping delay so I decided to get a MiniDSP SHD Studio. This will allow me to keep the signal in the digital domain and and to use DiracLive for the digital signal processing. I've had some past experience using REW with a UMIK-1 microphone on my former passive speakers and I learned how to do some basic room correction using an MiniDSP 4x2.
There is some gain in soundquality using both GLM and a good digital input .

Top Bottom